Things just keep getting interestinger...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Longboard, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

This si a slightly long read;

From one of my favourite coding geniuses, I cant follow more than the basic outline, but, all our winboxes are in the firing line:

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Thanks Longboard.

That is interestinger!

3. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I don't think these company's will sit back and let this happen, there will surely be made some sort of a deal, there is too much money involved in this.

Lamehand

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

If Microsoft were to shut other Security companies out then it would be an anticompetitive practice and they would be back at the EU and US courts again. This time I don't think the EU would be pulling their punches and even the US Courts may get a bit heavy.

Personally I welcome attempts to lock down the core OS. I am however concerned that it goes too far and MS excludes drivers that I like. For example AnyDVD.

Fairy

5. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I agree.

Isn't this called monopolizing? I thought that was against the law.

By Gates doing this he would be putting a lot of folks out of jobs, so they should all get together to sue him.

I'm all for security, but not this way. This is going way too far.

You know what I can picture, all these people out there that don't know that you wouldn't be able to use your own security softwares on a purchased windows Vista system will be marching them right back for refunds. If they had any sense, anyway.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

the thing is this message "if one has enough time and patience one can get past any operating system" No OS is completely safe there is a moderatly secure.

lodore

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

As requested: extra info: the original post was from a news letter from Radsoft.
    Heh, has a slight (!!) bias against MS.

Check their site : good tools for Windows and Apple (from Rixstep)
    Always has good reads.

Also trying to set up a community to write a new OS based on Ubuntu.
    http://rixstep.com/2/0/nextbuntu.shtml

The bulk of the opinion and analysis came from:
    http://symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/weblog/2006/08/assessment_of_vista_kernel_mod.html

http://symantec.com/avcenter/reference/Windows_Vista_Kernel_Mode_Security.pdf

Regards.

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Microsoft is very domineering( correct spelling?).
    But anyway if the guys from the 3rd-party security companies lose their jobs, they can go and work for MS and bite MS back from the inside.

Microosft might as well harden the Vista kernel even further, even if it means putting the 3rd-party security companies out of jobs. They need to be fast, because people will always find ways to crack the OS core.

Harden it further:
    1) You put people out of jobs.
    2) Make hackers'/malware authors/researchers lives' more difficult than ever. Vista IS Microsoft's product and as the maker of it, they've every right to protect their own interests IMO.

Seems like a very difficult and tense situation. Either way, it's all about balance.

1 GOOD thing: We won't have to rely so much on so many 3rd-party programs. MS seems like it wants to be the God of the IT world.

9. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea

Restricting choice and diversity is never a good thing and won't improve the security of the system one bit.

Lamehand

10. rogannn

rogannn Registered Member

Wow, i'm too lazy to read all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.