Primary partition - how to shrink?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by czhower, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czhower

czhower Registered Member

I have two primary partitions. I want to shrink the second one, but it wont let me change the size down. It will let me move it, or grow it but not shrink it. How can I shrink it?

2. Bro_Soft

Bro_Soft Registered Member

I wanted to shrink the primary partition and I did it BUT, since it was the Windows XP partition, the active partition, the program says that it has to reboot the system. I expected this, (I used to run PartitionMagic). What I didn't expect is that I had to "Press Any Key" several times to get back to the system. I don't think that this is right, even thou the expected results were achieved. I wonder what System Support would say about this? Bobby

3. czhower

I found a different tool which shrunk it just fine. I'm still stuck on Arconis True Image, but Disk Director seems to have a ways to go in some aspects.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Management Software

to Bro_Soft:

To shrink any partition (including Primary partitions) of your system please use "Resize" wizard in the left menu of the main window of the program (please make a selection of a partition you need to resize first). You can also use the same wizard in right-click emerging menu.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

5. czhower

That is what I tried. It would let me increase the size, but it would not let me reduce the size. On some partitions it would let me, on others it would not.

6. Acronis Support

Hello all,

to czhower:
    Please make sure that you have enough free space on a partition which you are going to shrink.
    Please try to move some of your data from a partition you want to reduce the size of to another partotion and try to repeat resize operation.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

7. czhower

The disk had plenty of space. It was a new disk with a fresh OS and most files were defgragmented and near the beginning of the partition. But here is the point -

1) It was not just one partition but a few I saw this with.

2) With no changes, BING (a diffierent tool) was avle to resize them without issue.

8. Acronis Support

Hello,

Please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please send this report to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you
    --
    Alexander Gladkov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.