Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by simonstrahler, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simonstrahler

simonstrahler Registered Member

I am trialling a Beta version 2 of Windows Vista and can't install True Image Workstation 9.1 on it (it won't accept Ghost 9 either) the install process does not complete.

However I can make a successfull backup & restore of the Vista partition using the recovery CD before I complete the Microsoft activation process for Vista... after activation I cannot make a backup image but get an error message, so Microsoft must do something to the disk at activation.

Could anyone please give me a clue on how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance...

Simon

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Since Vista is not offically released, ATI doesn't support it. Not yet anyway.
    But I've read about others having success with it.

I would try using the "Recovery Boot-CD" ONLY to make a Back-Up. You wouldn't have to boot into Vista this way.
    Sorry, misread that part. You did use the Recovery CD to boot up first.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  3. simonstrahler

starsfan09,
    re: your suggestion >>I would try using the "Recovery Boot-CD" ONLY to make a Back-Up. You wouldn't have to boot into Vista this way<<

As I said in my opening post, this is what I did as I could not get True Image WS to install on Vista at all, but successfully made a backup image by using the Recovery Boot-CD before Vista was activated with Microsoft. AFTER activation I could not make an image using the Recovery Boot CD or any other software but the process was stopped with an error message.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Simon

4. 1kyle

1kyle Registered Member

You have to disable some of the Vista security settings -- there's a topic on this on the web --link below.

Running even in administrator mode won't fix the problem --you actually have to switch the feature off.

Disable the UAC /UAP as per web site below.

http://www.longhornblogs.com/chris123nt/articles/16458.aspx

Then you can install stuff to your hearts content. Acronis worked fine after doing this (fine being relative to the sheer awfulness of Vista's performance on my machine).

Seems strange that in order to actually get any use out of an OS you have to switch its main security feature off -- but it's STILL BL---Y WINDOWS isn't it).

Vista ran so SLOOOOOOOOOLY on my system I just "Binned" it until a better performing version comes out so I'm sorry I can't be of more help. OK I know it's a beta with probably a lot of debugging code in it --but still a really SLOW performer even on a half way decent system.

If you also don't like the HIDEOUS aero look or you have slow video cards you can get rid of it as well

---copied from some blog somewhere but it works------

Enable “Express” look
    If for any reason you are not a fan of the new Aero look (also known as Glass), or you have a low-end video card, you can change this behavior without needing to use Windows XP drivers or toggling DWM (Ctrl+Shift+F9). Aero Express is the lighter, less graphics intensive look.

To enable it:

1. Click Start, and then click “Control Panel”.
    2. Click “Appearance and Personalization”.
    3. Under “Personalization”, click “Customize colors”.
    4. Under “Change your color scheme”, click on “Open classic appearance properties”
    5. In the “Personalization” dialog that appears, under “Color scheme”, change the selection from “Default” to “Express”.
    6. Press OK to apply the change.
    7. Press “Save” in the “Change Your Color Scheme” window to save all your changes.

Disable the transparent taskbar without disabling Aero Glass
    If you wish to have your taskbar a solid color instead of semi-transparent, but you don’t want to disable the Aero look, simply turn on the Windows Media Player taskbar control. You don’t even need to actually use Windows Media Player for this to work. To try this out:

1. Right click on an empty space or on the clock in the taskbar, and under the “Toolbars” list, click “Windows Media Player”.

--------end of blog copy -----------------------

Cheers
    -K

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  5. simonstrahler

Bingo!

Thanks a lot 1kyle for your excellent advise, because you solved my problem...

All I had to do to install Acronis WS on Vista was disable the UserAccountControl in msconfig/tools and then it installed and I was able to make a successfull post activation image of the partition.

Once again thanks a lot and I hope your kindness boomerangs back to you....

Regards

Simon
    (from downUnder...)

6. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

Thanks for that advice.. I was after the same solution... I had managed to clone the partition from another OS, but when I booted back into Vista, I got alsorts of errors, and scandisk ran and deleted loads of files, which resulted in corruption of my C drive....

I suppose the big question is, can you restore it and boot into it without anyh problemso_O

Vista on my pc flew.. was like having a new, faster pc.. I was and am well impressed with it...!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.