Anti trojian products

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by BWMerlin, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

Hi, im looking for a good anti trojian (i know this is subject to personal opinon). I have never had one before so im looking for an easy to use one with not to step of a learning curve. So i would like to hear what ppl think r go anti trojans and why.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmm, Paul, interesting. You put TrojanHunter which you rate 41/2 stars ahead of BoClean that you rate 5 stars??

(I’m only asking because I might be looking for a new AT in the not-so-distant future).

Acadia

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I'm looking forward to Paul's response, but if his opinion has "shifted" it was probably to be expected. Here's another authority that has re-evaluated their recommendations:

http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/

As a Boclean user for about a year I tend to agree with the re-evaluations. The Boclean engine was recently updated (v4.11) and Nancy has alluded to a v5 being released sometime this Fall. I hope the change will bring a file scanner. But during the past year I've found two trojans on my machine by other means and thus would consider turning to another product if welcome innovations don't materialize.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Very interesting, thank you optigrab. I was aware of that web site you posted but was unaware that they had updated their information. Thanks.

Acadia

6. Paul Wilders

It's a close race actually ;) - and bot BOClean and TrojanHunter will act nicely.

Although the concept from both ATs a rather different, we do consider the latest version from BOClean a reliable and very easy "set and forget" AT (presuming one does update the database timely). Updates are released more often in general then is the case with TH, and according to our tests BC does the job quite well. That said: the upcoming new TH looks very promising indeed. Could well be the Final Release will earn 5 stars as well.

A Close call - in case one doesn't go for TDS3.

regards.

paul

7. sig

sig Registered Member

BOClean has an automatic updater now in version 4.11 (I think I recall it's set by default) so no manual action is necessary unless one wants to manually update. It's a resident only app so it's basically install and forget about it. No free evaluation version but a 30 day money back guarantee.

TH and TDS have on demand scanners and some other nifty features. And free evaluation versions. All depends what you want/need.

8. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

Well i think ill give TD3 a try and if i like it, it is very easy for me to buy (not may products down in oz but this one is).

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

BWMerlin, You will not reget it, If you do decide to buy it you will get a free upgrade to TDS4 when it is released. Why not try WormGuard & Port Explorer from DCS as as well www.diamondcs.com.au :D All with support that is second to none

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I'm not by any means an *expert* at assessing the objectivity of tests. However, it seems to me that the referenced review is, by its own admission...
    NOT based primarily on *hard data*.

I mean, they themselves say that they eliminated certain software from consideration because OTHERS gave poor reviews, or because the software was unpopular. That isn't very scientific, is it?

...or am I mis-interpreting their comments?

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Seconding that completely Pilli!
    Very happy and convinced TDS/WG/PE/many DCS tools/and some more necessities user, on common far from last super systems.

12. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

They ignored some scanners which are not updated, no support, Im sure the scanners they DID ignore dont do a very good job considering new trojans come out all the time ? I rather liked their method of testing out support, its a good way to test even though it is only a few common trojans.

Better yet why not write to them for more info on what was ignored :)

13. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

The link you provided primarliy describes how they narrowed the field of products before the actual testing even began. Presumably they did this to save time. I don't think the site implied that the elimination criteria by itself consituted a comprehensive evaluation of the software.

It's true that their final appraisal of the products that weren't eliminated included an assessment of customer support, which isn't easily quantifiable. But the other two components of the evaluations ("signature file currency test" & "scanner speed test") appear to be rather "scientific". Besides, no quantitative methodololgy seems to be 100% defensible either.

IMO, subjective/qualitative criteria are useful in comparing software, and lots of sw reviews (including security sw) are at least partially based on subjective criteria. Support and 'ease of use' for instance often impact how effective a product will be for the end user.

14. what about Tauscan? Is that any good?

15. Paul Wilders

Ben,

Did you miss this thread by coincidence? ;)

regards.

paul

16. Monique

Monique Registered Member

Let's be polite: far from it...

M

17. ArchAngel_8

ArchAngel_8 Registered Member

Hey All....... I have read in a couple of reviews that TDS uses considerable system recources, and is also more "anti-Trojan" than the average user needs. The reviews also say that TDS is a really great AT. I am definitally a less experienced user and would like to know if I should go with a different At? And by the way... NONE of the reviews in question actually gave any proof that TDS used considerable recources, just mentioned it. :rolleyes:

18. Paul Wilders

Hi ArchAngel,

TDS is my no means "more antitrojan then the average use needs" - the software tackles trojans/backdoors etc. from alor of different angles -which explains as of why a full system scan takes a considerable amount of time in comparison to other products.

Apart from that: yes there are adittional extra features build in TDS, but there's no need to use them - although they might come in very handy at times.

As for ease of use: have a look at the very instructive and easy to handle guideline over here.

You could give the trial version a go (bare in mind) exec.prot and automatic updates do not function in this trial), grab the latest database (radius) from the downoad page and install this one, overwriting the old one. Play around with it for a while, and verdict ;)

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.