Spywareblaster disables protection from time to time...

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by racketeer66, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racketeer66

racketeer66 Registered Member

Hi!
    It happens unexpectedly in random intervals- it disables either restricted sites or Mozilla /Firefox protection or Internet Explorer protection...
    I always have to reset it to enable all protection. It's weird.
    Why is it? Anybody has a clue?
    Thanx for the answer!

2. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

mayb a conflict with a software firewall or other security app.... was this happening before or after you installed any new programs? Maybe you picked up a "nasty" V

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Once you have enabled Spywareblasters protection....which ever protection We are speaking of IE wise only....those entries are written to the appropriate location in the registry and the only way that protection can be disabled by the Spywareblaster program is for the user to remove said protection.

Having said that....I would ask that We look at your protection disabling problems individually Please.

• When you say Internet Explorer protection....do you mean it's ActiveX protection ?
      If so....that issue could be related to the fact one has to have Admin privlegies to make that protection actually stick ? If that's not the case in your sitiuation....we'll continue on that problem
    • As for the Restricted Sites protection....that issue can arise if a user also uses programs\features of Spybot's Immunize or IE-Spyad.
    • As for some of the IE Cookie protection entries becoming disabled....by disabling Spybot's Immunize feature a user also disables certain like entries in Spywareblaster
    Given just some of the above reasons that could be causing what you are experiencing....Please list what Security\Privacy programs you are using.

4. Barr_y

Barr_y Registered Member

I find this happening too and have to reset "enable all protection" I also find that SpywareGuard turns Download protection off as well. Something else I have to keep checking. The only new program I have installed is CounterSpy but it was happening before this was installed.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Barr_y,

Something other than SpywareGuard itself is turning it's protection off or to become disabled. Some of the things that have been found to cause this are download protectors, download managers or download accelerators running on the system....such as Freedownloader, Stardownloader and others.

Also....this protection will not stay enabled if the user does not have Admin rights.

HTH,
    Bubba

6. racketeer66

Thanx for the quick reply:

Mine is as follows:
    Windows XP SP2 Updated
    Browser: Firefox 1.5.0.6 (occasionally 2.0Beta) and Opera9
    Email: Thunderbird 1.5.0.5
    Firewall:Outpost 3.51.759.611(462) with Blockpost (IP-block, kinda HOSTS stuff) very stern rules, no allowed appl, only if met rules
    AV: NOD32 2.51.26
    Realtime: Windows Defender (I am a tester)
    On-demand scan: Ewido4 Anti-Spyware, A-Squared, Ad-Aware Pro
    Other prevention:Spywareblaster, XP-Antispy, IE-Spyad for IE7, Agnis-Op for Outpost
    DROP MY RIGHTS( I surf without admin's right when browsing or Emailing, this prog takes off token - no malware in system32 folder

7. racketeer66

Well, Thanyx, let me add:
    I only use DropMy Rights (droppin' Admin rights) when browsin' and usin' Skype, Email etc. I put the destination folder of Drop in the target).
    Yes, I use FreeDownloadManager and Flash Get...
    and I'm aware of the mechanism.
    I don't use Spybot-should be overkill.:)

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am not saying this is your issue in regards to your Restricted Sites in Spywareblaster becoming disabled but as stated in IE-Spyads readme file:

Also from the IE-Spyad text file:

9. racketeer66

I think I got the proper answer for my question! Thank U very much. It 's been a mystery 2 m so far. So it (my regime) sounds like an overkill - I gotta make my choice which one to choose...

10. Barr_y

Barr_y Registered Member

Hi I do have Freshdownload installed on my computer, so I will have to see if that is what is turning them off. I am the only user on my computer so am the administrator. They haven't switched off today because I haven't downloaded anything. Spywareblaster is showing 6450 items in the database. The funny thing is when it is altered it is by 2500 something items not protected. Nearly always the same amount. Not all are switched off. Is yours by the same amount Racketeer66? If you find the exact cause I would be pleased to know.

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are most Welcome and I would suggest keeping Spywareblaster ActiveX protection given there is no over head but I would suggest you place close attention to what is contained in the Eric Howe IE-Spyad links I posted as it relates to Restricted Sites when considering your choice for that protection.

Bubba

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I have never personally checked this but most users that have reported this problem find that after a re-boot of the PC is when they then notice SG's download protection disabled.

Just to be sure is that ActiveX, Cookie or Restricted Sites protection in regards to the "2500" ?

Bubba

13. racketeer66

Just 2 more remarks: 1. IE-Spyad has nothin to do with Firefox whatsoever. Just IE (BTW is it good for IE 7 as well, or just IE6?)
    2. And Yes, IE-Spyad in fact has been updated just recently by Mr. Howes - so problem solved and that makes us a nice team:)
    Br from Budapest,HU
    Ivan

14. Barr_y

Barr_y Registered Member

I never looked at that. Next time it occurs I will make sure what has been turned off. If it is the Active X what is the solution? apart from turning it back on and enabling it all again. I will go away now and do a reboot to see if it happens again, then come back and let you know.

Just rebooted and all protection still on. But if something on my computer has the facility to switch something off, on another program, that to my mind is nothing less than a Virus or Trojan anyway. What else could it switch off, my Firewall? my Antivirus?

When I find out what is doing it, I will definitely say it wont last long on my computer.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just one more remark about IE 6\7 and IE-Spyad in the Official Spywareblaster Forum and I'll be done also ;)

As for is IE-Spyad good for IE 7 also....the answer is yes and the only drawback I definetly notice when I enable IE-Spyad for testing purposes is the slowness of the initial browser Window loading if I have say 3 tabs opened by default and that slowness is directly related to IE having to deal with IE-Spyads 20,000 + entries.

You are correct that sites placed in IE's Restricted Site Zone have nothing to do with Firefox and if you still have the issue concerning Spywareblaster and it's Firefox cookie protection We can address that also and move away from the OT discussion of IE-Spyad\Internet Explorer ;)

Bubba

16. Barr_y

Barr_y Registered Member

Booting up this morning and not exactly doing much apart from checking my emails, I find Spywareguard has turned off "Download Protection" again. I have no idea what is causing this. All programs start normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Programs in my Taskbar are WinPatrol, Avast Antivirus, CounterSpy, SpywareGuard, B9, MSN Messenger, and my Easy Password Manager. Firewall is on. I have updated the data base of Counterspy, that is all.

17. racketeer66

OK. Tell me where - I follow U up:) I got some questions- I 've experienced some strange behavior on FFX's behalf (cookie-handling).

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not sure I am following you :doubt:

Concerning "strange behavior on FFX's behalf (cookie-handling)"....if you feel that's a problem un-related to Spywareblaster....you can discuss that matter in our software & services forum.

If you are still finding Spywareblasters Mozilla /Firefox protection disabled "unexpectedly in random intervals"....We can address that issue in this Forum.

For starters....the only way that protection can be disabled by the Spywareblaster program is for the user to remove said protection....which would then remove the entries from the proper Internet Explorer related registry location. Having said that....are you finding that ALL 209 cookie entries relating to Spywareblasters Mozilla/Firefox protection are showing disabled or just some ?

Bubba

19. racketeer66

Just some. But now , with reenabling protection for all non-welcome Firefox cookies, my "safe Cookies" extension does NOT show them in the list of exceptions (as deny always) as it did before... No deny rules, just the allowed cookies...Funny. They should've been there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.