Need some expert advice

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Merv, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merv

Merv Registered Member

Hi folks,

Just purchase True Image 9 Home and read most of the users guide. I have searched these forums and read that some users have had difficulties recovering the Sony Recovery Partition, among other problems with the Sony. I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS430G, with a 120 gig hard drive, with a recovery, C:, and D: partitions.

So, I simply have 2 questions before I start using the software:

1. For those of you using the Sony Vaio (or any other computer for that matter), do you have any advice from your experience to create a successful image of the hard drive? Sort of the do's and don'ts.

2. Once created, is there any method other than doing an actual recovery to test the image to ensure it will work? I have read about the Check Backup Archive for Errors feature, I would like to know if there is any other method.

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I'm no expert, but I'm aware of a few things, ..and I'd like to point them out.

I recommend you test on a Spare HD before you go messing with your Primary HD. Why? Because HP, Sony, and Dell are companies that put "Restoring Partitions" on their HD's. Sony, and HP are the worst I think because they actually have "D:/" Drives specifically set up for using their Restoring Discs. Dell does it differently. You won't see a C:/ and D:/ on a Dell because they HIDE this "Restoring Partition" very well. Dell uses Ghost 10 for their "Cntrl + F11" Restoring feature. But with Sony and HP, you actually have many CD's that restore to the day you got it. I'm not sure what program Sony & HP use. You could probably find this out by going to the web sight or calling Tech Support.

My point is ...these preserved Partitions that they put on these computers, could play havoc with using ATI. They're probably well Encrypted, and since some people want to keep these partitions, you may have problems getting these features to work again AFTER using ATI.
    --------------------------------------

But me personally, I see no need for using these Restore partitions. Considering new software, and driver updates all the time ....I would not want to take a computer back to the day I first got it because you would have to Uninstall older versions just to install Newer ones. This creates Registry problems, and program Errors & Conflicts in the long run.
    I recently got 2 new Dell computers. I turned both on just to get the system specs, and then immediately Reinstalled Windows. Along the way, I deleted those hidden partitions. ATI works great on both of them. And the reason for this, ...I think...is because of deleting these "Ghost 10" Restore partitions completely off the HD, and just having an entire C:/ Drive.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  3. Merv

Merv Registered Member

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I did not think of trying a restore to a spare hard drive, but that is certainly a great idea.

I do not know what software Sony uses to create the recovery partition, but what you wrote concerning the need for such a partition makes sense and it is something I will consider.

Thanks again for the quick response.

4. starsfan09

Actually, a lot of people don't think about this. I didn't either... until a friend pointed it out. So now, I'll share it with you and others.

Most computers are made to hold more than 1 internal HD.
    Unplug your system, open the case, and you'll probably see an empty bay next to your current HD.
    1. Get another HD like the one have (EIDE or SATA), and mount it next to the one you already have inside your computer.

2. Get another cable (EIDE or SATA), and attach one end to the Spare HD, and run the other end to the Next Available Slot on the Motherboard.
    (EX:: If you have SATA, you'll see your current SATA HD cable hooked to "SATA0". Just plug the new cable coming from your New HD... to "SATA1" on the Motherboard.

3. While the computer boots up, press the key that takes you into your "BIOS". Next, look for "DRIVES", and choose the corrosponding HD, and Turn it ON.
    (EX::If you hooked the new cable end to "SATA1" on the Motherboard,...then you should turn on "SATA1" in the BIOS.)

That's it!! Just boot into Windows, and you'll see it install drivers for your New HD. Afterwords, you can format it to NTFS, or FAT32 and use it just like an External HD.
    NOTE::If this New HD is a Western Digital, then you can download a tool from their Web Sight that will let you format to FAT32.

The result is....
    a cheap Internal "Storage" Drive that acts just like an External HD, but a lot faster.:D

:D .......But there's more...........:D
    At this point, you have 2 choices on HOW you want to use you're New HD.

1. Keep it like it is, and use it as a Storage Drive (Files, Pics, Mp3's, Store ACRONIS FILES ON, or TEST ACRONIS FILES ON and etc)
    or
    2. Install Windows on it, ..and have another, fully functional HD of your system. You'll have TWO computers in ONE this way.;) :thumb:
    But keep in mind, if you put an OS on it, then you'll need to Choose which HD you want use. Turn one of them OFF, ...and turn the other ON by using the BIOS.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Or even better have a careful look at the front panel of the computer case. If you have a 5.5 inch blanking plate there and there is space behind it that is where a removable hard drive rack can be mounted. Now with the ability to swap hard drives nearly as easily as DVD's there is so much more you can do with your computer.
    I use three drawers that slot different drives into the computer. The way you use this extra flexibility is only bounded by your imagination.
    Rack and drawer assemblies are obtainable in all the usual connection types eg. EDIE,SATA etc. They are also remarkably inexpensive.

Xpilot

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I should have mentioned that Laptop users can also take advantage of swappable drive flexibility. All the laptops I have seen have the drive in an easily removed holder rather like a drawer that is held in by probably just one crosshead screw. So another holder and an extra drive plus an external USB drive and away you go!

Xpilot

7. starsfan09

My Motherboard supports 4 SATA Internal HD's. I have my set up like this.

1. SATA0 = Raptor (wd740adfd) that has XP Pro on it.
    2. SATA1 = Raptor (wd740gd) that has Vista Beta on it.
    3. SATA2 = the "Hawk" (wd1600js) that is now my Storage drive.
    4. SATA3 = empty for now, but I'm workin on it.

Also, I have 2 WD Essential 120gb Externals, and 1 80gb WD Passport.

If you haven't noticed by now, ...I'm very fond of Western Digital.;) :p
    http://westerndigital.com/en/products/productcatalog.asp?language=en

8. Merv

Merv Registered Member

Thanks for all the good advice and detailed instructions, folks. I wrote the backup to a second hard drive and all three partitions were there. They appear to be identical to the originals. It gives me a better degree of confidence that a recovery will be successful if needed.

It is not too hard to figure out that I am not very "techy" when it comes to this stuff. So forums like these with basic answers such as yours are valuable to me.

Much appreciated.

9. starsfan09

"Git-R-Done"!! :thumb: :D

Glad to help out.

10. jrgarciab

jrgarciab Registered Member

Attention Merv:

I am a new member and am trying to contact you re: your Sony Vaio PCV-430g PC. I have the same model PC.
    Please contact me at planetjosh(at)earthlink.net

Thank you,

Josh (Los Angeles)

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Josh,

Have you tried sending a Forum private message to Merv? If not then left click on his User Name at the top left of any of his posts and select "Send a private message to Merv".

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.