TI v9.1 b3718 with Universal Restore and BARTPE + MUSTANG

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jeremyotten, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Here are a few issues/questions that I Have.

When booted from BartPE
    - Image goed OK but no logfile is shown. Maybe something to look at.

When booted from windows on a machine
    - I chose Go and the the TrueImage that was added to the BartPE cd. It says it cannot find the serials. I then added the serials to the registry. Trueimage opens and then closes immediatelly.

Maybe I am missing some registry keys. Or is this even possible to get working?

UPDATE
    - I found another issue(had it on 2 systems) When there are more then 1 Massstorage drivers present He will end with an error. The hall drivers will be replaced and your system will boot. BUT the new options for Acronis to come with a dialog saying it is installing network drivers etc from the specified paths will not come! and there for you have to install everything by hand. in my system I had to disable the highpoint and the silicon image controllers in de BIOS and try again. Then everything worked fine while imaging with UR from BartePE with mustangs plugin.

here's a bug to FIX!!

Thanx in Advance
    Jeremy Otten

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  2. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your input.

After you perform any operation with TI9 under BartPE you should find the log file in the Ramdrive under B:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\True Image\Logs. Have you checked that location?

As for the serial number error, I'm not sure what you are saying you did. My plugins are designed to automatically pick up the serial number from your system when you run the initial get files cmd file. This is only to allow you to run TI9 under BartPE. If you are saying you got the error in normal Windows after doing a restore from BartPE, it has nothing to do with my plugin. Can you clarify the problem for me?

The Universal Restore problems you are getting with build 3718 under BartPE are a serious problem. I have done enough testing after reading your post to agree that Universal Restore is acting completely different under Linux and BartPE. Unfortunately, I can't fix this problem. Acronis seems to have written the Windows version differently. They would have to rewrite it. My initial reaction is to just give up on the idea of running Universal Restore from BartPE for the time being! I'm not sure if I missed something Acronis installed in Windows with the latest version. I don't have any time to play with this now. I'll have to decide in the next few weeks if I want to simply remove the ability to use Universal Restore from my plugins. You have to realize Acronis gives me absolutely no help in writing these plugins.

3. jeremyotten

Acronis Assured me they will be adding Universal Restore in 1 of the future builds of BartPE.

What I ment with the serial number.

I was wondering if it was poosible to bootup TrueImage in windows on a system that doesn't have trueimage installed. Trhough the numenu --> GO

I says it missed serials. I putted them in the registry. TrueImage starts en closes immediatelly. I was wondering if this is possible and if yes what I am missing...

;-)

4. homer007

homer007 Registered Member

I have found the latest versions of acronis universal restore to be very good when running from the acronis rescue cds, however when attempting to use them in winxp or from a bartpe cd, they fail miserably...

Simply put, it seems that acronis have not bothered to update thier windows universal restore counterpart (for example, try using universal restore when you are missing a driver in windows and then the rescue cd; in the acronis rescue cd, it will ask you to find the driver; in the windows version, it only tells you it could not find the driver [ignore | ignore all | cancel] which was supposed to be updated a looong time ago). It seems they have only been concentrating on updating the universal restore for the acronis rescue cd version...

Although acronis does try to add drivers to thier rescue cd constantly, a windows based restore is still much better as it can support just about all of the hardware you will ever need (and you can install more drivers easily if needed). I hope they update thier windows universal restore portion soon so I can use my good o'l bartpe cd again, and make the whole process alot easier.

5. jeremyotten

The universal restore option is already modified the way you wanted it to be from build 3694 ;-)

just try it out!

6. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Universal Restore from Mustang's plug ins (3625 and later) does not work for me under BartPE or Reatogo XPE using build 3694 or 3718. It works fine using the Acronis Linux disk.

I will be happy when Acronis includes the Universal Restore feature in their BartPE plug in as they suggested they would do in the near future on this forum.

The Linux disk takes too much time, over 2 hours, to do this on a 19 gig system drive.

7. jeremyotten

What issue do you have under BARTPE?

8. silver0066

Errors during restore from one Dell laptop (XPS Gen 2) to another Dell laptop (Inspiron 8200). I restore from external USB hard disk. Machine would not boot after restore using Mustang's plug in. This only occurs when using Universal Restore from Mustang's plug ins. If I use the Acronis Disk restoring the same backup, it will boot.

If I do just a plain restore to the same machine, Mustang's plugs worked just fine.

9. jeremyotten

Ok but I think this is another problem

I have a machine which won't boot when Universal Restore is done from the linux bootcd

AND WILL boot when I use BARTE and MUSTANG's plugin

So the situation isn't just that black and white i presume ;-)

10. jeremyotten

Ok no im having my own problem. On certain systems (HP DX2200M) and a (D330) I get this error attached.

Mustang do you know why?

Please tell me you can help.

I get this when I try to backup to a local or a network drive :-(

Attached Files:

11. jeremyotten

Hmm I made a new BARTPE cd with only standard plugin and TrueImage now it does work.

So it seems that one of my plugins scambles something from trueImage to work.

Maybe its the runscanner plugin that I use for running webroot spysweeper. I will analyse and let you know MUSTANG!

;-)

12. jeremyotten

Noth the

runnerscanner as the shellexecute plugin will stop TrueImage form working on certain machines.

Here you can find them

http://www.paraglidernc.com/6901.html

So when you want to make a bootcd with the Mustang TrueImage Plugin and the Spysweeper 4.5 plugin of paraglider which also needs his shellexecute and runnerscanner plugin to work. BYE BYE TrueImage.

Maybe if mustang wants He can try to modify the TrueImage plugin to work. But only if he wants ofcourse. For now no Webroot Spysweeper on my BARTPE!

:-(

13. jeremyotten

After testing even further I made it 100 percent sure.

Its the runnerscanner plugin which ***** trueimage. Because with the spysweeper plugin and the shellexecute trueimage fucntions ok. But only with the spysweeper plugin and the runnerscanner it crashes!

So here the information. Hopefully someone can make a fix.

14. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Jeremy,

I just got back after a few days off.

The RPC Server not available error is caused by a problem with the AcrSch2Svc sercive. The Runscanner plugin by itself shouldn't cause that problem. I use it all the time. There must be a conflict with using it with the spyware plugin you are using. I use the AdAware SE Personal plugin with Runnscanner to load a remote hive and have no problem using TI9.

You can duplicate the RPC Server not available error in BartPE simply by stopping the AcrSch2Svc service. Open a command prompt and type "net stop AcrSch2Svc" without the quotes. You will get the error when you run TI9. Restarting the service doesn't fix the error. Even running the helper app (schedhlp.exe) manually after the service has been restarted doesn't fix the error.

Just try a different spyware app and see if the problem is solved.

15. jeremyotten

The problem is that with the runnerscanner enabled I don't get the error on every system but on certain systems.

so restarting that service won't work?
    Very strange. On the system that had the problem I disabled the runnerscanner plugin and made a new Bartpe cd. And all went OK! Very Very strange indeed.

What are your experiences with the Adaware plugin? Does it have an Update functionality which works in BArtpe? How are your scan results?

16. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Jeremy,

I don't know what to tell you about it not working only on some systems.

Probably the latest version of the AdAware plugin includes an updater. I am using an older version so I wrote my own cmd file to copy it to the ramdrive, update it under BartPE and start it with runscanner.

adawareSE.cmd:
    Code:
    @echo off
    rem -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rem adawareSE.cmd - Script to start AdawareSE from WinPE
    rem Created by Bart Lagerweij and Modified By Paul Larini (mustang).
    rem -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    echo adawareSE.cmd: Starting...
    setlocal
    if "%temp%" == "" goto _err
    if exist "%temp%\adawareSE\ad-aware.exe" goto _run
    echo Copying "%~dp0*.*" to "%temp%\adawareSE\"
    xcopy /s "%~dp0*.*" "%temp%\adawareSE\"
    rem Change following drive letter to your ramdrive
    B:
    cd \adawareSE
    wget.exe -N http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/defs.ref
    :_run
    if exist "%SystemDrive%\Programs\RunScanner\RunScanner.exe" goto _run2
    start %temp%\adawareSE\ad-aware.exe
    goto _end
    :_run2
    start %SystemDrive%\Programs\RunScanner\RunScanner.exe /t 0 %temp%\adawareSE\ad-aware.exe
    goto _end
    :_err
    echo.
    echo adawareSE.cmd: No temp variable set...
    echo adawareSE.cmd: Try adding a ramdrive...
    echo.
    pause.
    :_end
    endlocal
    The scans do find spyware. After I get spyware and viruses removed under BartPE with free apps, I always find more to remove under normal Windows with NAV 2006.

17. jeremyotten

18. dobbelina

dobbelina Registered Member

I have also gotten the "RPC Server not available" error on my PE CD's.
    It's kinda random, sometimes a reboot fixes the error.
    I think the reason it's happening is cause the service takes some time to load
    into memory.
    If you're gonna use TI, make sure it's the first app you start after boot has finished.Don't use any other apps before, and especially not apps that uses runscanner or "setpath".
    Wait at least 30 seconds after you have booted into PE before executing TI.
    Should work.

19. jeremyotten

Hmm waiting 30 seconds.... hmmm..

But then when I get the error and I should then wait 1 minuut or so the error remains.... still weird.... very very weird...

On my systems the bootcd with runscanner enabled had problems on certain systems. When I then booted with a same cd without runnerscanner everything worked PERFECT every time!

So it must be because of the runnerscanner. I don't know what it does. Well actually I do now what it does when you boot the cd and haven even used runnerscanner. It does this:

start /wait regsvr32 /s /i shell32.dll
    start /wait regsvr32 /s mlang.dll
    start /wait regsvr32 /s /i browseui.dll
    start /wait regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
    start /wait regsvr32 /s /i mshtml.dll
    start /wait regsvr32 /s /i shdocvw.dll

But I don't know why this should be in the autorun and Why this causes TrueImage to give the error sometimes,...... o_O

20. dobbelina

dobbelina Registered Member

Those lines you can remove from autorun0_runscanner.cmd if you're using an explorer plugin like XPE.
    Only if you run Runscanner do they get added, as the cmd file only executes
    when you run the program.
    Maybe it's one of these dll's that are being copied over that's causing the problem ?
    PS. If you haven't done it, you should try a "Reatogo" CD.
    I think it's better than "standart" BartPE.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  21. Unimatrix

Unimatrix Registered Member

hi,

have a problem with the Plugin while using the universal restore option.

All steps while restore shows success, but the server hangs on boot.

Using the linux based rescue media, universal restore works and the server boot to windows 2000 server OS.

Thanx for your help

22. mustang

mustang Developer

It's well known that the Windows version of TI9 with UR doesn't work the same as the Linux version on the Rescue CD. The fault is not in the plugin, but in the program itself.

23. Unimatrix

hi mustang thanx for you answer.

is there a solution or workaround to fix the bug in the windows version.

I dont like the linux based media. It is easyer to integrate drivers in the bart pe enviromente.

24. silver0066

I have the same problem with Workstation 3718 with UR. Works okay when restoring original computer, but not when restoring to another laptop with Universal Restore.

I have mentioned this before in these forums and I have never received a workaround.

25. Unimatrix

Hello Silver,

The real Problem is the not 100 % working Implementation from the Universal Restore Option in the BartPE / WinPE Enviromente.

Try this solution:
    At the first screen that asks for Driver use the hal.inf from eg. Network share choose the correct computer type, remove all other. Provide the needed files from e.g network share. Use the correct files for your OS + Service Pack.

Good luck! :thumb:
    Unimatrix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.