Microsoft Buys Tools Vendor Winternals

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft snaps up a highly-rated security and data recovery tools vendor, and adds a Windows kernel guru—who exposed Sony's rootkit debacle—to its roster of technical fellows.

Story

2. dog

dog Guest

I won't say more than ... : Too Bad :(

More good guys bought by bad money ... with no benefit to the end-user
    :mad:

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have to agree 100%. But now-a-days it is how business is done. Wonder how this will effect Winternals law suit against Best Buy?

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well thanks Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell. You two made great contributions to the pc world.

This includes Sysinternals as well!
    All that great freeware. Arggh!!
    :'(

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Microsoft snaps up a highly-rated security and data recovery tools vendor, and adds a Windows kernel guru—who exposed Sony's rootkit debacle—to its roster of technical fellows.

:eek:
    :( wonder how that affects the London hands-on

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i hope sysinternals freeware isnt left to rot or anything. i rele like contig, process explorer and all the other great programs.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Their site is overloaded at the moment. He does have a blog entry there.

Attached Files:

8. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Perhaps Microsoft will make Winternals programs free...

[ERD Commander 2005 is one of the most useful tools I've ever used. Have a big problem that you can't get into safe-mode to use system restore? Use ERD Commander]

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Oh my god!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Just don't want to see it happen, but it happened!!!

Anything falls into the hands of Microsoft will become buggy...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :'( :'( :'(

10. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    The evil empire strikes again, geez, all this usefull tools ruined in one fell swoop.

11. f3x

f3x Registered Member

I can help but having the same mixed reaction of joice / sadnes.

It's a great addition to MS team but made at a great price.
    And not i'm not talking about any dollard spend by microsoft to do the acquisition.

12. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

M$ will ruin these useful applications eventually...:'(

Let's pray that Winternals' products will enjoy a better life in the heaven :'(

13. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Of course they will .... one will just need to buy the premium version of Vista:)

bktII

14. spm

spm Registered Member

It's so comical the way you people react to news of this kind. You spend your lives whining about how bad MS's products are, and then whinge uncontrollably whenever they take steps to improve things. Get a life.

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

M$ improving things? M$ has nothing but mediocre softwares after so many years development. M$ lost its creativity completely and buys ideas from other companies. M$ isn't a software company anymore, it buys and sells software.
    Microsoft = Microbank. :)

16. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Just like they did with Giant AntiSpyware. This product was best in class before Microsoft bought it.

17. spm

spm Registered Member

An unfortunate choice of battleground ... Giant AntiSpyware was somewhat long in the tooth and subject to horrible shortcomings at the time MS bought Giant.

18. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Here is an example of their being "long in the tooth" and "subject to horrible shortcomings" as of October 2004:

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-results-5.htm

Giant AntiSpyware: 111 out of 138 (No one else is even close)

19. spm

spm Registered Member

October 2004o_O Doesn't that tell you anything? What date is it now? How applicable do you really believe October 2004 testing procedures are to today's threats?

A hints (there are many others I could make, too) ... how well do you think Giant AntiSpyware performed in a multi-user Windows XP environment? Not in the labs, but in reality? How well do you think it would perform now (for instance, in a restricted user account)?

In any case, we could argue any specific issue until the cows come home. What is important is this...

Premise 1: You believe Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell to be 'good guys' who have contributed a lot to the industry.

Premise 2: You believe they will make no positive impact on the quality of Microsoft's products, because they are not good enough.

Mmm. Solid logic, that.

20. bktII

bktII Registered Member

This is a Giant AS pre-acquisition product comparison based on some actual testing and nothing more. By a reputable organization.

Your challenge is to find a current AS product comparison based on some actual testing conducted by a reputable organization that shows MS Windows Defender leading the field.

21. f3x

f3x Registered Member

I wont comment on Giant as this is a sysinternals topic.
    I'll just drop a word saying that many collection of all sysinternals tools are now available in torrent for those who fear of them being removed.

22. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    It's not up to them to decide what's gonna be integrated in the software, microsoft is the company they work for, and they have their own policy, they are working for the boss now, and two man working for such a big company ain't gonna change it.
    They can only try.

Lamehand

23. spm

spm Registered Member

Ah, so you don't believe in the capabilities of Mark Russonovich and Bryce Cogswell after all. Geez. Talk about trying to have it both ways.

24. spm

spm Registered Member

Err, in Octover 2004? Then it is completely invalid now. Let me ask you again - what is the date now?

No, that is not my challenge at all. Apart from there being plenty of positive reviews about WD, the only valid challenge - since that is what you seem to want - would be for you to find a comparative review of Giant AS and WD. But hey, don't waste your time. Get back on topic. All you and others have done in this thread is to sling mud. It doesn't take much intelligence to do that, and such behaviour does you no favours.

25. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Co-incidentally that is now sorted:-

austin.dbusinessnews.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.