Can't uninstall firefox & thunderbird

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Berrystorm, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berrystorm

Berrystorm Registered Member

Hello everyone
    I'm a newbie

I use firefox beta and tried to uninstall firefox 1.5 but the add/remove window freezes for as long as possible. This has happened before I downloaded the beta version. When I tried to uninstall thunderbird the same thing happened. Whats the deal mozilla feels that it is so good it becomes stuck to your pc?

I'd like to know how can I uninstall firefox.

Also I'm in the process of cleaning my pc from spyware, keyloggers, infections and whatever else that had my pc moving at a snails pace. I purchased spydoctor and registry mechanic I would like to know what more should I do to protect my computer.

I posted this on another board with almost the identical format as this and they ignored my post, I hope things are different here.

Help please

2. benderr2001

benderr2001 Registered Member

Berrystorm,

I can't claim to have in depth knowledge of Firefox and/or Thunderbird but wanted to share my own approach to a similar problem I had as you might benefit from it as well:

I had Firefox beta installed, wanted to uninstall it and then install FF 1.5. My problems began with not having an entry for the beta under the Add/Remove Programs applet to it! I also have to add that I am not shy of manipulating the registry directly and probably caused the situation myself by "cleaning up".
    When I checked under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" I found remnants of he beta uninstaller, copied the value and ran it.
    Then I deleted the folder (here c:\program files\mozilla firefox) and all its subfolders.

After reboot I was able to install 1.5.0.4 successfully.

Good luck and please post your results back to this forum even if it shouldn't have worked for you.

Regards,
    Roland

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I don't currently want to uninstall Firefox, but the last time I did, the same thing happened: wouldn't work. I ended up just deleted the Program Files / Mozilla Firefox folder, and all the shortcuts manually. Then of course Add/Remove progs said "...It may have already been uninstalled. Remove it from the list?"

Of course this is very sloppy, but it did remove the program. I guess the only good part is that when I reinstalled it, my settings and extensions were still intact. Still, it's not the way to do it, and I wonder why the regular Add/Remove progs doesn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.