Anyone heard from HDS - re Rollback?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pvsurfer, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

aigle~ That should be obvious. HDS doesn't have a customer service, technical support, or any other representative participating in their user forums, so that should answer your question. While you may not get a personal reply after sendiing them a detailed incident-report (by email) - which admiittedly is a sad state of affairs - I do know it gets their attention! ~pv

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  2. pvsurfer

Day 18 with the new build of Rollback Rx Pro:

As recently stated, I had deleted most of my snapshots for a previous test, so over the past week I reaccumulated 20 snapshots for purposes of testing (in actual use, I would not retain nearly that many).

After backing up my C-drive (with ATI), I arbitrarily decided to delete snapshots #5 through #15, defrag the rest (using RB's defragger) and then I reset my baseline snapshot. My pulse was racing while the system restarted, but I'm happy to report all went very smoothly! :thumb:

So now I have used this new build for 3-days longer than I had used the prior build before encountering major problems with it. Furthermore, I have intentionally 'stressed' this build, so while aigle has experienced some kind of (undefined) problem with this build, it's looking to me as if RB's major bug has been fixed. Hopefully, I won't have to eat my words! ~pv

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Recently I stumped upon EAZ FIX, my first impression is that is looks really promising and powerful. (To soon for more than a first impression)
    http://www.eazsolution.com/
    The professional edition supports up to 60.000 snapshots, and unlike FD-ISR it doesn't take more space than the installed software.
    Switching to a different snapshot takes a few seconds.

Really promising.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Hmm... It looks exactly like Rollback RX and it looks like they offer exactly the same thing. Could it be a clone of the Rollback engine?

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

They also offer "Folder Mover" as a freeware, just like HDS of RollbackRx does.
    Even the screenshot looks the same except for the company logo.

6. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Please keep us posted on your experience. It appears that RollbackRx has either gone out of business or is not updating their software to fix the chkdsk problem. This software seems like a copy of RollbackRx.

7. wilbertnl

From reading the horizondatasys website, I think you are right.
    They have the same development/support structure as Leapfrog Software for FD-ISR:
    The developer has outsourced sales/support to selected resellers.
    Maybe there are more resellers for EAZ-FIX than we know of. :)

8. wilbertnl

Is the script of that torture test available somewhere, Peter?

9. pvsurfer

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Wilbertnl

1. Don't be mislead by the space issue. The figure they quote is only for their database, and doesn't include data. Still yes it does use less space.

2. My torture test was quite simple. No script needed.

a) Once system is stable push power reset.
    b) While opening a program push power reset.
    c) While booting push power reset.
    d) repeat a,b, or c
    e) same as d

I based this test on my experience with one KAV 6.0 beta build. FDISR handled it with flying colors and no disk errors. Based on earlier experience with Rollback on previous versions it wouldn't have done well.

I have no further plans to do anything with Rollback as my new desktop is also a raid 0 machine, and they don't officially support raid 0.

Pete

11. wilbertnl

It looks like the developer is Anyue Technology: http://www.k62.net/
    I noticed that HDS (2691131407) is offering a more recent build of 7.2.1 than EazSolution (2691043345).

12. nicM

nicM nico-nico

This EAZ-Fix looks exactly as Rollback indeed, even activation screens are similar. But correct me if I'm wrong, nowhere on EAZ-solutions or on Anyue tech can I find how to purchase their soft? o_O

nicM

13. wilbertnl

http://www.eazsolution.com/clientpartner.htm
    $49: http://mknenterprises.com/download.htm
    $49.95: https://shop.intelatronix.com/splashPage.hg
    $39.95: http://www.robdelorenzo.com/win/system/back-up-and-recovery/eaz-fix-7-2./
    Maybe you find more/cheaper resellers when you google.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  14. egoldinc

egoldinc Registered Member

I had tried http://www.robdelorenzo.com/win/system/back-up-and-recovery/eaz-fix-7-2./
    Please note the above site is not a legal distributor for eaz-fix had a feed back from eazsolution on it.
    I have been using eazfix professional edition for quite sometime myself and its one hell of a gud software. lot of freedom to surf and do anything on your computer without worrying abt system failure. They also have a cloning software similar to norton ghost called eazclone. http://mknenterprises.com is a legal distributor and I have a good experience with them.:D
    you can read more about eaz fix at http://articlealley.com/article_80263_11.html

15. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Thank you wilbertnl for the links ;) .

Now, the most cheap is 39 $, very interesting !

nicM

16. Peter2150

That article reads more like a sales pitch rather than an objective evalutation. I base that on the infamous it only uses ,07% of the disk. Those of us who have played with Rollback know that is nonsense. Okay, at least very misleading.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will say it rather deceiving-- part of immoral/ unethical modern advertisements.

18. egoldinc

Well I aint a technical person all I can say is snapshots load pretty fast and maybe we cant check if it actually uses 0.07% or not. But yeah it has saved my time and lot of money interms of calling service personnel to correct the problems. I have started saving my data on seperate hardisk and I surf independently with my secure baseline always available to me. In case i feel my system is running slow or need to check a new software i install it on a new snapshot and once i evaluated it i just delete that snapshot and load my baseline, its that easy. I havent tried rollback.
    Has anybody tried using it on VMware. they say it is compatible with VMware. keep posting.
    Also as my previous posting the eaz pro officially is 49$ which I checked from eaz solution before i bought it from their reseller mknenterprises
    I definetly feel its worth more than that though. what do u guys think?

19. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

On VMware? You mean inside a virtual machine? That works fine, though it would not make much sense as VMware comes with a built-in snapshot feature.

If your question refers to installing VMware together with RollBack/EAZ-Fix on a real machine, I would strongly recommend not to do so. It is incompatible and will most probably result in corruption of snapshot data. HorizonDatasys and EAZ Solutution know about this. As I could not live without VMware HDS support advised me to uninstall RollBack...

20. Peter2150

We have checked. Reading the fine print, and questioning techsupport they are talking strictly about their indexing system, and not data. Also you can easily test it. Create a new snapshot and add 1gb of data to it. See what happens to yur disk space. Just what you'd expect.

Don't get me wrong, these products have a place. I just wouldn't trust it for heavy beta testing, where the probability of crashes is high. Also I would be leary of installing on any raid installations.

Pete

21. wilbertnl

Actually, ATI only includes sectors that are marked as used and excludes pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys.
    EAZ-FIX/Rollback RX uses it's own disk driver and stores it's snapshot information in sectors that are not recognized as marked used.
    The free EAZ-clone makes a sector-sector image, I'm testing it now with EAZ-fix.

I noticed that Farstone DriveClone reports 1750 MB data on disk and ATI reports 1.681 GB data, while EAZ-clone reports 2978 MB data. Isn't that interesting?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  22. egoldinc

Pete,
    Eaz fix doesnot support raid. it is not to be installed on a server is it? it only support windows OS. I think they are working on linux version for now. I dunno how it can add to the security of your system it is a good backup cause ur assured ur system wont crash no matter wot u do to it and if it does u get it back in 15 seconds. They have a remote management console previously named enterprise edition which allows remote management over the internet or intranet- any body tried that if so how do ya install it.

23. wilbertnl

Well, Peter,
    I haven't exactly done this, but I do have experience now with a cold reset with a stable eazFix setup.
    When booting eazFix gives a message about improper shutdown and checks it's snapshot index and structure.
    Then probably Windows gives a message and does a chkdsk of the filesystem.
    My experience is that the result is a normal boot into the current snapshot, but without the latest modifications committed to it.

It looks like permanent disk modifications are committed at shutdown time, until then the snapshot retains it's status from bootup.

Practical it means this:
    Boot system (status #1), install application (status #2), cold reset:
    The system boots into status #1.

24. Peter2150

I gather what you are saying that if I take a snapshot say at 9:00 am and work til noon, and then do a cold reset, that I am back as I was at 9 am. On the surface that would sound bad, but the question was if when you reset Rollback creates a snapshot of what was there, then I'd say it wasn't bad, as you could retrieve data from the failed snapshot. but if stuff is totally gone, then that would be bad.

Like I said, my test was five crash/power resets with no damage to the file system or loss of data. I just base that test on an experience with FDISR when I went thru exactly that. Admittedly those are harsh conditions.

25. Peter2150

HI egolidinc

Nope no server. Just two out of three of my computers use Raid 0 for the c: drive.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.