Tracking Cookies Option

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Huwge, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Hi,
    I notice that there is an option to automatically remove tracking cookies. Is that just on a scan or does it remove them on reboot or something. I had a look in the help files but didnt see anything.

Thanks in advance

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

That's a good question - I wondered that one myself!

Basically, the cookies will only be removed when they come to the attention of the Guard. Usually this will be during a scan, though if you try and open a tracking cookie .txt file by double clicking it, it will disappear in front of your very eyes! Similarly if you were to right click scan the cookie or the cookie folder.

What does not seem to happen is the cookie being removed as it is placed onto your hard drive. This is because ewido is not an AV and therefore does not scan files as they are written to hard drive. To be scanned by the Guard you have to actually open the file - or deliberately scan it, during a demand scan..

That is the way it seems to me, unless someone knows different!

3. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

There is unfortunately a bug, and the guard monitors a false folder. This will be fixed asap. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

4. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to the bug fix with anticipation:D

5. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

I have not had even one tracking cookie since I activated the cookies option in the Shield months ago. Whereas before I was getting half a dozen detected each time I scanned. Needless to say I am happy at that :D

6. Socio

Socio Registered Member

I did not think it had anything to do with scanning;

If it is part of the "shield" then is it not real time monitoring and blocking them from making their way in to a folder in the first place?

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

The reason for all the confusion is that cookies are currently not being removed by the Guard realtime. They are only being removed if you actually do something to bring them to the Guard's attention.

It appears that this results from a bug, which causes ewido to monitor the wrong folder (instead of the cookie folder!). When the bug is sorted out ewido will be able to automatically remove trackers while you surf.

I'm not sure that cookies will be blocked from reaching the cookie folder in the first place, my guess is that the Guard would monitor the folder regularly and remove any trackers it finds - if that assumption is correct then cookies would still be written to HD, but become deleted afterwards.

I'm not sure if trackers will be simply deleted or if they are erased (i.e. overwritten). If they are merely deleted it could be more secure not to use this ewido feature, but to erase by other means - but I don't suppose the majority of people would be sufficiently paranoid about the possible recovery of such cookies to bother!

8. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Yes, I've just fixed that bug. But it will take some time until it will be released with all the other bug fixes we've already made.
    Before we can release the new version the Grisoft Review team has to test the new version.

Regards,

Vinzenz

9. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Just bumping this with a hope of a date on the bugfix with Cookies:D

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I use ccleaner and have a few sites in there that I keep the cookies from (such as Wilders!) Would the cookie remover in ewido, when fixed, remove them as well?

11. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

I repeat: I haven't noticed any tracking cookies for months; even on scanning. So Ewido must be doing something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.