Excluding Snapshots folder from AV/AS scans?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Birdman, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Is there a way to EXCLUDE the FD-ISR "snapshots" from being scanned by anti-virus and anti-spyware programs?

Currently I have 2 created snapshots and I've noticed a significant increase in scanning time when running both my AV and my AS programs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but any additional snapshots would significantly increase scanning time. Basically having 2 extra snapshots would TRIPLE the normal scanning time?

IF I wanted to just have the PRIMARY drive scanned....what folder(s), that contain the FD-ISR snapshots, do I exclude from being scanned?

Is this even possible?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  2. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

its always a good idea to scan your backups and archived folders incase of infection's.lets say your primary gets infected,and you go to restore one of you other snapshots or archives and its also infected.that just leaves you infected..

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

That would depend upon your particular virus scanner and how it can be configured. Using NOD, no, you have to scan everything. I got around that by creating a custom scan, or whatever it is called, and added all folders from my c:drive except for the other Snapshots. I really wish NOD had an exclusion feature for on-demand scans. Good luck.

Acadia

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Birdman

Kav 6.0 and Avast Pro don't scan them by default. SuperAntispyware has an exclude option to stop scanning them. You have to turn on viewing hidden and system files and them look for the $isr folder and any directories like 1 or 2 etc you can exclude. Don't exclude 0 though.

Pete

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think it's safe to exclude the whole $ISR folder as it scans your c: drive anyway, which is the composite of 0.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think you are right.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

IME, most AV's do not scan all of the snapshots. Amongst 10 different AV's that I have tested, only Dr Web and NOD scan all of the snapshots but only the former AV can directly exclude the different snapshots.

But with a limited number of snapshots, NOD is still very fast scanning all of the snapshots.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My system partition [C:] = 9.73 GB and contains two snapshots :
    Snapshot-1 = 3.84 GB and Snapshot-2 = 3.84 GB
    It took NOD32 11m32s to scan my system partition.
    My personal data on my data partition [D:] is not included.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I use the maximum of 10 Snapshots, which is why I set up NOD as explained above. If I only had 2-4 Snaps, I would probably not have bothered to set up a custom scan.

Acadia

10. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for your help and input. I have excluded the suggested folder from future scanning. :)

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To all:

As always in discussions it is difficult at times to not mention other software when assisting others. However....what I will ask We not do is deviate from the FDISR Forums intended specific support purpose and provide support for other software specific functions. Let's take our other software support to one of our appropriate forums Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Post removed and as was requested above...."take our other software support to one of our appropriate forums Please".

Certain FDISR forum OT posts were split off and combined in a more appropriate forum. Please follow the below link for further discussion.

How to setup a custom scan

Thanks,
    Bubba

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Bubba,
    Cannot access your link in post #12: not enough privileges? :oops:

can I have some? :D
    Please.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I actually made a post there a few moments ago, but can't access the thread now for the same reasons as you. However, I can still view the post by going to my Profile, and checking all posts made by me.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Sorry about that but due to some turn of events and duplicate posting of the concerned party....some special manipulating\extra work had to go into fixing what now should be a good link.

Carry on Please....sorry for the OT.

and no you can't have some :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.