GreenBorder Performance

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bill Stout, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Stout

Bill Stout Registered Member

Hi guys,

I've seen a couple of posts referring to performance when using GreenBorder. I'm interested in collecting some information on this. We do have a support ticket system (http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=4049), however I've seen from a few posts that having to create an account to create a ticket is a nuisance.

The Performance Baseline
    There should no difference in performance between unprotected IE and IE in GreenBorder. If there is, I encourage you to contact support. Otherwise post here, and I'll broadcast the URL for this thread internally in our company.

Thanks,
    Bill Stout

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't think performance is GreenBorder's problem. Not being compatible with other softwares is GreenBorder's biggest problem.
    Download and install the trial version of NOD32 and see for yourself how slow your computer becomes.
    An alert message for Firefox and Thunderbird isn't good either. :)

3. controler

controler Guest

Even though I always get this error, It seems to install.

Attached Files:

4. controler

controler Guest

I am sure this would work better installed on a fresh machine or VM but as is it just will not install for me. Mind you I am using IE 7.0 Beta

Attached Files:

5. Bill Stout

Hi ErikAlbert, I'll ask our guys to double-check NOD32 in the lab as soon as possible.

Hi controler, I'll double-check at the office to analyze the issue you're having. I've seen the second error you've posted before, I'll see what the support guys say about it.

6. ErikAlbert

After I removed NOD32 the performance of GreenBorder was good enough.
    There is a very small difference in opening speed for applications with GB and without GB, but not worth to talk about.
    MS Internet Explorer, MS Word and MS Excel opened without any error message.
    Firefox and Thunderbird opened with an alert message, but opened normally after that.

The problem with NOD32 was worse and even unbearable.
    The "Welcome" screen, while winXPproSP2 was loaded, took 105 seconds instead of 1 second.
    The NOD32-icon wasn't in the system tray anymore, which is abnormal.

In the beginning I had problems with installing GreenBorder, but those problems disappeared
    when I changed the service "DNS Client" from "Disabled" to "Manual".

I didn't see the error messages of member "Controler".
    That's all I know about GreenBorder.

7. Bill Stout

Hi ErikAlbert, we verified that the icon disappears with NOD32, though it still runs. Also performance when NOD32 is present... is bad. :oops: We're escalating this to our developers.

8. Bill Stout

Hi Controler,

I researched grpconv.exe error. This was tested on a few systems, after reboot the error message no longer appears, and the system works fine. However I'll have to get back to you on the 'Unable to launch IE under GreenBorder'...

9. ErikAlbert

I had the impression too that NOD32 was still running, but when I shutdown winXPproSP2, I get a popup menu to stop NOD32 manually and that is also not normal.

10. Bill Stout

Thanks Erik, our developers fixed the NOD32 problem yesterday and our next build includes the fix. I'll post again when I find out when the next maintenance release will be available.

11. controler

controler Guest

Bill I get the file error on install and not after reboot. The program doe not work for me. I could log in as admin i safe mode and try but I would rather work as a user with admin privileges.

WinXP Pro Corporate edition here.

The spaceman process shows in task manager but never shows in the tray.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2006
  12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Bill

Could your developers also take a look at the conflict with Kaspersky?

13. Bill Stout

Controler, I have someone researching this.

Hi Don, could you post the OS you're running, version of Kaspersky, and description of the error?

14. controler

controler Guest

Don

I think because they both are working at kernel level, this is why so many conflicts.

controler

15. Bill Stout

The NOD32 compatible build should be released by the weekend, and the download.com site updated soon after (they scan software and go through a rollout process which takes time).

I (and Ghost and a flaky cat3 wire) accidentally killed the computer which was being used for the Kaspersky testing, so there will be a delay in Kaspersky compatibilty. Spent all day trying to restore one simple workstation....

Controler, have you tried our support team? We'd like to make sure that customers are happy with them as well. They like it when I ask users to test their patience. :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  16. Don Pelotas

Would not install, Windows XP, Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.0.300.:)

17. Bill Stout

Thank you Don. Looks like Kaspersky compatibility is in our next cycle.

18. Don Pelotas

Sounds good.:)

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but I can't seem to grasp what GreenBorder is. I have an impression is it similar to a sandbox. I read the info on the site, but I am still not sure.

Thanks,
    Jerry

20. Bill Stout

Hi Jerry,

Normally, applications which you run inherit the same rights that your user account has (quite often as Administrator). Applications also have full access to your computer system, and additionally call system services that are running with SYSTEM privilege. Application or OS vulnerabilities may bypass controls present in some applications. Therefore any active content (ActiveX, VBScript, JavaScript, etc) on a web page runs with the same user permissions you have, accessing services you don't know about, and may leverage additional vulnerabilties.

GreenBorder creates a restricted environment in which your browser or other applications can be launched, which protects the underlying system from content browsed, or files opened. We apply rules to that environment which controls access to the underlying system (e.g.; 'shared', 'read-only', 'confidential', or 'denied') and qualify some of those permissions with 'virtualize'.

A sandbox which completely blocks access to many system resources would typically cause applications to hang or crash. A virtualization environment like GreenBorder virtualizes some read/write areas, which allows most applications to run while still protecting the system.

With the GreenBorder environment, you can intentionally browse webpages which load spyware and viruses and they won't infect your system because they're run in the restricted environment. And because of the usability that virtualization provides, you don't have to switch to an unprotected browser to run online videos, games or other useful content.

Hope that helps. I may have to edit this for clarity later... :)

Bill Stout

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Bill,

Thanks, I have a better idea now. I admit that I do not fully understand it as I do not have the computer knowledge, but I have some idea as to how it works.
    I appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

22. Bill Stout

Glad to help. Possibly an analogy would work also:

Antivirus and Antispyware work like flu shots. GreenBorder works like latex.​
    With GreenBorder you practice 'safe data', and you can browse or download anything you want without worry. No more hovering the cursor over a link and thinking twice.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi again, Bill.

I am using KAV6, and Firefox is my default browser.
    From Don's post it appears that there is a conflict with KAV, and from other posts Firefox is not yet supported.

I do sometimes use IE when necessary.
    Would GreenBorder do anything for me at this time? I am not savvy enough to want to solve compatibility problems.

Thanks,
    Jerry

24. f3x

f3x Registered Member

I have a nod32 antivirus and a hips: gss.
    i disabled both upon install of greenborder but all i got when i reboot:

File error 11 and a svchost that takes 100M of ram and 91-97% cpu.

Oh and if other software matter as well i have google desktop search and a host file manager / locker

25. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I did try it few days ago, I had the same problems than few people here : Startup is highly delayed (computer seems to be stuck on the Welcome screen), and it is a little bit heavy on my system; mshta.exe is constantly using cpu (3/10 %), and memory use is quite high.

I couldn't find a way to explore the content of the sandbox, I only found an option to "clean and reset" it. I think something as a log, at least, is missing o_O . For now, we can see events were blocked, but not which events.

And when a sandboxed program is prevented from, for example, adding itself in startup, the whole program is blocked, we can't even run it at all (I mean before to restart); that's what happened for me when trying to run sandboxed programs. I understand this is useful to prevent malware damages as soon as possible, but that is not very comfortable for common programs, isn't it?

Another remark : I consider the install does last very long :eek: ; even if the install did work for me.

Oh, Thanks for the 1 year offer ;) .

nicM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.