3.5 and 4.0 and no uninstall for 3.5?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Frank the Perv, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

OK, so I downloaded Ewido 4.0.

I read somewhere on this board that the download would prompt me to uninstall Ewido 3.5.

Anyway, it did not prompt me.

I got my purchase license to work correctly, and 4.0 was placed on my system. But 3.5 was still there.

So I went to Add/Remove programs to remove 3.5, and it was not listed. Ewido 4.0 is listed, but not 3.5. So I uninstalled 4.0 thinking that I’d then also uninstall 3.5. But that didn’t work..

Bottom line, I have 3.5 and 4.0 on my system, and I’d like to know how to uninstall 3.5.

Thanks,

ftp

2. btman

btman Registered Member

does ccleaner have it under its list?

www.ccleaner.com go to tools go to uninstall. Is ewido 3.5 there?

3. Razzputin

Razzputin Registered Member

C:\Program files\ewido there should be an uninstaller there.

4. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

btman, Yes, I have CCleaner, and I checked if Ewido 3.5 is listed. It is not. Ewido 4.0 is there, but not 3.5.

Good suggestion though.

Razzputin, I checked c:\program files\..... and yes, I find both a file for "Ewido" and for "Ewido anti-spyware 4.0." The file for "Ewido" appears to be the 3.5 version, but there is no uninstaller in the many things in the "Ewido" file.

I wonder if Ewido has an uninstaller for 3.5?

Surely I cannot be the only one who has experienced this?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  5. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Frank,

I know this sounds like over kill, but would seem that the "easiest" ;) way out of this would be to uninstall 4.0 reinstall 3.5, then uninstall 3.5 and do the clean install for 4.0 one last time. I know that sounds dumb, but I think it would be the "cleanest" way to do it;

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

6. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Good idea.

But before I proceed down that path, is there an uninstaller that will appear with 3.5 after I reinstall it?

7. HelpFromFrance

1. If you do an uninstall of 4 then restart the computer

2. do an install of 3.5, yes it should put 3.5 back as it was and then you can

3. do you uninstall of 3.5 restart the computer,

4. then install 4 normally.

That should do it although it sounds long and a pain, it should work. I would think the whole process should take no more than 15 minutes.

You could always wait for other answers, someone else might know of a better way.

Good luck,
    HelpFromFrance

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: This is what I have done with v.3.5: after install v.4.0.172(or172a), I boot pc into safe mode. Then go to C:\program file\ewido 3.5. Delete the whole folder. Then reboot back to your nomal mode. Then use Registry Crawler to rid of registry residues. Good luck.

9. chew

chew Registered Member

Folks,

I wonder if any of you have successfully removed Ewido 3.5 as I had not succeeded in doing so.

I have tried all the recommended steps on this thread with no success.

These are the steps I tried:

1) No uninstaller for Ewido 3.5 - not in Add/Remove and Not in CCleaner.

2) I went into Safe Mode to delete Ewido 3.5 folder but it would not let me and kept giving me this message:

"Cannot delete Context.dll: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or Write-protected and the finle is not currently in use."

No sure what it means as I do not use any of the real-time protections and I am the Adminstrator for my PC.

3) So I tried deleting the files one by one ... only to encouter 3 files that would not let me delete them manually.

These are the files in Ewido 3.5 that would NOT delete:

1) Context dll.
    Context-menu(Shell Extension)

2) Lang.dll
    Lang

3) Shellhook.dll

Any suggestion highly appreciated.

Yes, I have installed Ewido 4.0 and it's fine so far but I just need to get rid of the old Ewido 3.5.

Cheers

Chew

P/s: when in the Safe Mode Ewido took up the whole monitor screen/page ... any chance of resizing it without affecting my normal log-in? I had to press the On/Off switch to reboot to go back to SafeMode again. I couldn't even see the Button to Minimize the screen nor could I even see the "X" close button. The page is that big ...

Update: after nearly 2-3 hours I finally managed to Uninstall Ewido 3.5 using the method as suggested by "HelpFromFrance". So a VERY BIG THANK YOU to "HelpFromFrance". I just hope you win the World Cup too.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  10. HelpFromFrance

Chew,

Glad that this could help you. It is always best to find a way to uninstall even if it is hard and long. Just deleting the directory where the files are does not clean up the registry and as you found out, sometimes leaves files that are hard to get rid of.

As to the World Cup, yes I hope France can make it. To say the least we will be watching Sunday night.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.