FD-ISR or Rollback RX: which one to get?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Birdman, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Hi,

I'm trying to decide between FirstDefense-ISR and Rollback RX[/b] for my XP system.

I primarily want to use it to replace XP System Restore. My system has 2 partitions: NTFS (main Windows OS partition), FAT32 (recovery partition).

I know this forum has users familiar with BOTH programs and I would like some help deciding which app is more reliable. Recommendations/suggestions/info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The most reliable is FirstDefense-ISR, there were troubles with RollbackRx.
    FirstDefense-ISR works also with Acronis True Image (ATI) and I'm speaking of experience.
    The absolute minimum for me is still ATI, but FDISR is faster, more practical, has additional possibilities and is certainly better than Windows System Restore. I had disaster scenarios in the past, where Windows System Restore was useless, because I couldn't even start Windows, only FDISR was able to restore the situation.
    You need both IMO : FDISR/RollbackRx and ATI or any other image backup software.

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

At this point in time, Rollback Rx still has some very serious problems. While there are those who have been using it without any issues, some (myself included) have experienced system crashes of varying magnitude! So unless you want to wait until HDS finds and resolves their Rollback issues, FDISR is certainly far better and more reliable than Windows' System Restore.

While these 'instant restore' programs can be very handy to have in your PC-arsenal, I totally agree with Erik when he advocates disk-imaging software for your primary system backup... There is no other software substitute for disaster-recovery, it is absolutely essential! :thumb:

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Wait, there are serious problems with Rollback RX? I just started trialing it again , are these problems big enough that I should immediately uninstall?

5. pvsurfer

Based on my experience (twice over), you definitely should uninstall it ASAP. If you already have a few snapshots, you may want to be sure to specify uninstalling to your current snapshot.

As I already shelled out my $ for Rollback Rx I wish I could send a positive message, but as of the current version it still has some serious bugs! The only encouraging note is that HDS is well aware of the problems.

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

here is a link for a wide ranging thread about RbRx
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=127866&highlight=rollback

Many experienced contributors.

If you are interested in recovery type softs,there are threads here about RB v FDISR v ATI v IFD/IFW/BING and interactions between them, advantages, disadvantages etc.

You will find many questions answered :)

The FD-ISR forum has lots of threads which may interest you.
    Rollback generated heaps of interest initially and I think everybody really wanted it to be the goods, but, there were some dissapointments.
    (I actually paid for license now it sits in my "spares" folder. Still hoping...)

That being said there are many users here who regard it as great.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have to agree. I also have two paid Rollback licenses, but I just don't trust it for heavy abusive use. I was trying to figure out a small issue I have with KAV, and I tried something, that resulted in one of the nastiest bsod's I've seen. All is said was system corrupt and is shutting down. What ever happened it was self correcting and system has been fine. It was most reassuring to see FDISR's boot screen.

Rollback just wasn't up to handling that kind of abuse, and resulted in many chkdsk sessions and finally corrupt snapshots. I wouldn't rely on it.

Pete

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

When you read the thread provided by Longboard you will see that me too was one of the early buyers (here at wilders anyway) I fell in love with Rollback and our honeymoon was two months long, but the she failed me :(
    But I am still hoping that there will be a new version that will work better on my system. But until then I will rely on good old Firstdefence.

I am sure you will get replies from the happy Rollback users who hasnt encountered problems too :)

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

[/S]I am still using RollBack and it,s a really fascinating idea but I am disappointed on its bugs. These have ben discussed here.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=133259
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=130305&highlight=Space+RollbackRx
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=133259
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=130038

The HD space issue I have encountered again after a format of my HD and I am planning to make a post (and e-mail to supprot as well) when I get some time. I can just hope they eill resolve the issues......lets, see.
    For me the biggest problem with FDISR is the time to take a snapshot and to recover a snapshot( i really like the speed of RollBackRx). Personally I will liek to have both, FDISR for my working PC and RollBackRx on the PC that I will use to play with betas and malware samples etc.
    BTW, many of users here did not get any problem with RollBack in one month trial, it was only later when we got problems. If they remove the bugs it will be really teh best option.

More info if u want

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=129343
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=125604
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=127866
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=130988

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have licenses for both but at the present time I am only using and can only recommend FirstDefense.

IME, on my systems, FD has been rock solid and very stable. It has done everything have asked of it.

In contrast, with RB, I have had many, corrupted snapshots.

11. Peter2150

I think one of the issues with Rollback may be a core design issue. All of the reads and writes the windows system generates, have to go thru Rollbacks driver to get to it's indexing system before the disk. An unexpected shuttdown doesn't give the whole system time to get the writes to the disk finished. This is more of a problem with some of the beta programs, that at times can be unstable.

But if you aren't doing that kind of testing and keep the tree structure of rollback more on the simple side, I think it can be a great program.

Pete

12. pvsurfer

Pete, I strongly disagree with your last comment. I also bought 2 licenses, puting Rollback on my laptop as well as my desktop. My laptop runs nothing but well-established software (no beta's and very few program installs/removals). My desktop is more of a test-bed, so I was less surprised to experience 2 crashes on it.

When RBx crashed my laptop (twice), once with each of the last two most recent builds, that was the last straw... Each of those crashes resulted in many corrupted snapshots as well as a corrupted System32 folder! After my last episode I could only restore my baseline snapshot which was a month old (I lost quite a bit of valued work)!

HDS has been sympathetic and supportive, but incapable of finding and fixing the problem. At this point in time, RBx users are nothing but beta-testers of a product that imho shouldn't have been released from alpha-testing! Based on my RBx experiences, I consider the current release to still be quite dangerous! :gack:

~pv

13. Peter2150

Hi pv

I'd be hard put to argue with you. I never had a crash I could trace to Rollback. But it wasn't graceful about the ones I had. On the corrupted snapshots I had, they were a total mess. When I did crash I would see chkdsk with some nasty error's, which it always fixed. Fortunately the first time I had corrupted snapshots they didn't result in a loss. Thats when i bailed.

I won't put it back on until it can survive the torture test I gave Sam, which was do power resets in the middle of the computer doing something or even booting. No chkdsk, no corrupted snapshots. A brutal test I know, but FDISR handles it no sweat.

Pete

14. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I went back to FDISR because of the bugs in RollbackRx. The only reason I bought RB was because of its speed. The speed I found out however wasn`t worth the amount of times RB crashed(3)and ruined my system. I will try RB again once the bugs are cleared up and only if it retains the speed it has. If however the speed decreases then RB will stay on the shelf because I know I can depend on FDISR.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Exactly right.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Just an update if u are still interested.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=784336&posted=1#post784336
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=130305&highlight=Space RollbackRx

17. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for their feedback(s) regarding these 2 apps. I went ahead and purchased FD-ISR last night (used a 30% off coupon code :p ). Stability was very important to me and from what I've been reading, RollbackRX had way too many bugs/issues for me to trust at this time.

It took about 45 mins to make a "secondary snapshot" of my 10 gig partition. I read that some people preferred the "speed" of RB, but IMO...stabilty > speed.

Looks like a great program thus far. Still need to play around with it some more. :)

I DISABLED XP System Restore, as I probably have no use for it anymore (and to reduced the size of the snapshot).

Are there any other hints/suggestions that you expert users of FD-ISR might recommend? Thanks once again!

18. Peter2150

Hi Birdman

First I would hang out in the leapfrog forum here at wilders. It's all about FDISR. Second, take several passes thru the manual. There is a lot of good stuff there. Then post questions in leapfrog's forums. We will all be glad to help.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.