Clarify Purpose of Universal Restore...PLEASE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mma8108, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mma8108

mma8108 Registered Member

I purchased universal restore and TI with the intent of restoring images to "different hardware" as the website promotes. My intention is to image a pc and restore to a different pc. I found that this is not the type of "different hardware" that the product intends.

Could someone please enlighten me as to what is meant by "different hardware"? Perhaps an example would help.

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mma8108,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you change, for example, a motherboard or use another processor version, which is likely in case of hardware failure, the restored system may prove unbootable. An attempt to transfer the system to a new, much more powerful computer will usually produce the same result because the new hardware is incompatible with the most critical drivers included in the image. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers.

At the moment Acronis Universal Restore supports adding only drivers required for Windows booting, i.e. drivers for storage devices like different RAID controllers and so on. The Acronis Development Team is now in the process of testing of the procedure for adding other drivers, i.e. drivers for network adapters, graphic cards and so on in the future versions of Acronis Universal Restore.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in the respective Acronis True Image User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. mma8108

mma8108 Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. That's what I thought when I purchased the TI Univ Restore, but needed to make sure.

M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.