ewido shuts down during scan

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by LoneWolf, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

anyone else having this problem? had 3.5 ,uninstalled and installed ewido4 w/no problems now when i do a scan ewido will start but will shut down completly including the guard before even scanning halfway.no other new software installed

2. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Hi,

The guard is not shutting down (I presume) only the icon disappears since it is displayed via the ewido main program.

Please try to scan with one of the following options (scan settings) disabled.
    - "Use heuristics..."
    - "Scan inside compressed executables..."
    - "Scan inside archives and setup files..."

Please report if the scan can be completed without that ewido shutsdown by itself.

Thank you.

BR

3. hangman

hangman Registered Member

I too am having the same problem,just DL'd 4.0 and when I try to scan My computer the program just shuts down after scanning about 25-30% of the total hard drive space.
    When the program shuts down the icon is still in the system tray but if I mouse over it, the icon vanishes!!
    Can anyone tell Me what's going on with this before i decide to upgrade to the paid version??

Thanks for Your time...
    ...hangman

edit:
    After further review it seems that the "scan inside archive and setup files" is the problem...
    I shut down all 3 settings and then re-enabled each one 1 at a time to isolate the rogue setting.

currently running;
    WinXP sp1
    Linksys WRT54GS router\firewall
    Spybot
    Spyware blaster
    AVG 7.1 Pro
    Adaware SE Pro

If there is any other info I can provide please let Me know

Thanks...
    ...hangman

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  4. as1m

as1m Registered Member

Hi,

I would just like 2 know if there was a resolution to this problem as I have the same issue. I serched the forum and found this. As mentioned in the posts I unchecked the "scan within archives and setup files" and the scanner does complete its task. With this option checked the scanner GUI just dissapears (along with the sys tray icon) before completion.

I suppose as long as the resident shield is on, things should be fine even without scanning within archives and setup files, because the moment an infected archive is opened ewido will notify (I hope).

However I still feel that the software should function properly and to its fullest extent, so could the ewido moderators please confirm if this is a fix in progress.

Thanks.

5. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

We need to know which file is causing the crash first. Without that, we can't fix it :( Could you perhaps try to isolate the file by only scanning smaller parts of your hard disk? Thank you very much :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  6. as1m

as1m Registered Member

Yes that does make sense I aplogise.

The good news is that I know which folder / partiton its crashing on as I keep all my backup apps & software there. Prior to me havibng that folder ewido was scanning fine.

So I will try to scan each file individualy to see whch one is the culprit and I'll report back.

Thanks.

7. as1m

as1m Registered Member

Hi,

The problem file is an epson printer driver which is an executable archive (download below). Ewido shuts down whilst scanning if it is saved at a depth of more than 2 folders.:blink:

E.g.

epson18706.exe___________scan OK
    folder1\epson18706.exe__________scan OK
    folder1\folder2\epson18706.exe__________scan OK
    folder1\folder2\folder3\epson18706.exe_________Ewido shuts down:(

I could send you the file, or better I can tell you where to download it from:

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Fi...5DC8A33994EAF40F38F0F69EA94FAC78376A81B18350C

Thanks.

8. peter.ewido

I tried to reproduce it but it didn't work :(
    Can you please tell me the exact path? Thanks!

9. vinzenz.ewido

No need for the exact path. I know how to reproduce it, but currently don't where it happens exactly. :'(

Thank you as1m for helping us to find it. :)

BR
    Vinzenz

10. as1m

as1m Registered Member

Hi,

The file was H:\Apps & Software\epson\epson18706eu.exe

When I cut and paste the file into H:\epson18706eu.exe or even
    H:\Apps & Software\epson18706eu.exe then it scans fine

Thanks.

PS. As a test, I created "Folder_1". Within this I created "Folder_2", and within this I created "Folder_3" (all on my desktop). I placed epson18706eu.exe inside "Folder_3". thus the path from desktop is "Folder_1\Folder_2\Folder_3\epson18706eu.exe"

If you point to Folder_1 and scan with Ewido from context menu, the scanner will disappear, as will the sys tray icon. Well it does on my machine.

Anything else just let us know.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  11. vinzenz.ewido

How I already said. We already know how to reproduce. Thanks.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

12. as1m

as1m Registered Member

Sorry Vinzenz but I didn't understand this part of ur sentance:

"but currently don't where it happens exactly"

But since u allready know how to reproduce, I'll leave it in ur capable hands.

Thanks.

13. vinzenz.ewido

Hi,

I just meant that we didn't know where in our program it happens ;)

But now we have located it.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

14. darkfirew

darkfirew Registered Member

Hello, I am having the same problem. The scan shuts down and the system tray icon disappears. I do not believe I have the same file that the other person has.

What should i do?

15. peter.ewido

I'm pretty sure your crash is caused by the same bug, I will keep you informed on this matter :)

16. darkfirew

darkfirew Registered Member

Funny thing is I tried running the program twice in safe mode and it shut down as I said.

Then I ran it in normal mode, and it completed it's scan. So I rebooted and ran the can again in safe mode, and it completed it's scan. So, now I've had a good two out of four scans worked.

Thanks

17. peter.ewido

FYI: We found the bug, it's already fixed. The fixed version will be released together with the next program update in about two weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.