SpywareBlaster 2.6.1 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

(Please consider helping us cover the bandwidth costs by donating. Thanks!)

SpywareBlaster 2.6.1 has been released!

Due to the rapid increase of new spyware items, we had to release a new version of SpywareBlaster.

Changes:
    -Core engine improvements and changes, including a much faster loading time
    -Download corruption detection enhanced
    -Bugs fixed
    -Added new Custom Blocking tool
    -Lots of new spyware items added to the database!

Custom Blocking:
    -SpywareBlaster now includes a new "Custom Blocking" section under the Tools area of the program. Create your own list of ActiveX controls that you want to block. Add search engine toolbars, browser plug-ins, and more - block any ActiveX control you want. You can even download Custom Blocking lists other people have created.
    -If you have created a Custom Blocking list that you believe others might find useful, please post about it in the official forums at http://www.wilderssecurity.com .

You will need to download the full installer package.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Also see the new "Getting Started Guide" : http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbgettingstarted.html

Enjoy!

-Javacool

P.S. If you have an older version of SpywareBlaster installed you can either uninstall the old version first, or install over-the-top - either method should work.
    P.P.S. If you have any trouble with the new version, please check out the Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting thread here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266

2. dp

dp Registered Member

Thanks javacool, noticed a major difference in load time, so much faster than the previous version. Lots of extra goodies also.

3. Welshjim

Welshjim Registered Member

javacool--Blazing loading and update speed!! Many thanks. Looks good!!
    However, under Tools|Hosts Safe, I was unable to load my HOSTS file (message ""No Hosts file detected"), even though the HOSTS file is in the usual C:\Windows directory. Any ideas?

4. EbouLips

EbouLips Guest

Do you need to Uninstall the old version before installing the new one or do you just upgrade right over it?

5. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

EbouLips - You can do either I believe.

I know this is a false positive but I thought it should be brought to your attention. DrWeb's spiderguard is currently detecting this new version of spywareblaster as a Backdoor trojan :eek: .

Thanks again javacool.

Attached Files:

6. EbouLips

EbouLips Guest

Hey rerun2 how did you turn that pop up trojan alert into a jpg did you just take a picture of it, or a program probably huh?

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Yep - Dr. Web has been doing that for a while.

It's the rather strong heuristics - not a problem with their definitions that can easily be fixed - so excluding will probably be your best option (someone did contact them once, but I believe they weren't planning on fixing it since it is a "probably" detection by the heuristics).

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, very fast indeed. :cool:

On my old Pentium Pro 200MHz Windows 95 machine, it now fully loads the program and presents the window in 6 seconds instead of 34. Very nice!! [​IMG]

EbouLips - Take a look at this thread for how to capture screen images and post them here: FAQ: Screen Shots and Image Posting

9. dp

dp Registered Member

Oh my, another person who still has a dinosaur in operation. I still have a Pentium 233 MMX with 96 MB RAM running Win95a. It's actually a rock solid machine :)

10. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Thanks again for the confirmation, I had thought it was something new as DrWeb didnt give me a warning on the previous version of spywareblaster.

Continue the great work javacool!

And yes follow LWM's FAQ for screenshots! I also decreased the quality of my screenshot for the viewing pleasure of dial up users :D

11. Libra

Libra Registered Member

Hi Javacool,
    I just installed it over the top and it all went well. It's loading very fast now too. I have one question:
    When I checked for updates the updates appeared and I clicked to download them. When I scrolled to view them, everything was already checked (nothing in red). I told it to check everything and protect against checked items anyway. It said it was successful. Is this new to the program that it seemed to automatically check and protect without my having to do so?
    Thank you very much for a wonderful product.
    Sincerely, Libra

12. LowWaterMark

Hi Libra,

After installing the new 2.6.1 program update and protecting against all items that were included within the program update itself, I went and ran the "check for updates" and the download added a small number of additional new items to protect. They were unchecked and red on my system, so I had to select all and hit the Protect... button. Which, as you were saying above, is the normal and expected way SpywareBlaster updates work.

So, I can only think that something different happened on your system, and the items were somehow already protected. Can you confirm the date and number of items that SpywareBlaster is now showing on your system. It should be this:

Date: 9/11/2003
    Items: 812

If that's what you have, I'm not sure what happened to have your "set" prior to you hitting the buttons. :doubt:

13. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

J.Cool wonderful update!!
    thank you so much....runs like a charm
    and faster to!! you da man.. :D :D

14. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello, I'm new to SpywareBlaster, does it not show up as running in Applications or Processes in Task Manager. TIA. :)

15. LowWaterMark

Hi mOp,

No, SpywareBlaster is really a program that you run periodically, say once a week to check for new spyware definition updates. Each time you get new updates, you use "select all" and "protect against selected items" buttons, and you are done (until the next update comes out). So, you just close SpywareBlaster and it keeps protecting you.

SpywareBlaster's protections come from flags it sets in the registry, so there is no reason to leave it running once you've updated it and run it once. Because of this, it adds no auto start entries.

16. Libra

Libra Registered Member

Hi LowWaterMark,
    When I installed the program I checked the list of protected items and did see some in red, so I had it check items and protect. (This was all part of the installation.) I then shut spywareblaster and rebooted, went online and brought up the program again. That's when I had it check, etc. and nothing was in red. I have 9/11/03 and 812 items listed.

(The previous numbers after install may have been 9/09/03 and 806 items - but I'm not sure about that.)
    I guess I'll have to wait for the next update.

Sincerely, Libra

17. LowWaterMark

>> I guess I'll have to wait for the next update.

Yes, that's probably best. You have the current defs so you are all set right now. When the next update is available, make note of everything, each step of the way through the update process, and if it happens again, then we can start digging deeply into it.

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

18. Libra

Libra Registered Member

Thank you LowWaterMark. I will do that.
    Sincerely, Libra

19. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Thanks LowWaterMark, I knew it was low on resources but not just that low, that's a good job. ;)

20. ryu

ryu Guest

Hi,

I got a beautiful update on my Japanese Win2k&Xp :D

Custom Blocking may be a useful tool at the non-English area.

Thanks javacool

best regards,
    ryu

21. Eissman

Eissman Guest

I am trying to download the latest version of Spyware V2.61. During the install I get an error message. Access denied: Code 5.

My system is a Dell 4550 2.0 running XP Home Edition. I have been using previous version of Spyware without any problems.

Does anyone know what is happening and why?

Thanks,
    Eissman

22. LowWaterMark

Hi Eissman,

See this post by Javacool. The first item is regarding the error code 5 problem...

SpywareBlaster Troubleshooting and Tips & Tricks

Often, this problem requires that your restart your PC to clear the error.

23. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Javacool,
    The only thing I have to say is: wonderful.
    Thanks. :) :)

24. Phoenix22

Phoenix22 Registered Member

Java,
    I especially like the flash kill bit...I was really getting tired of the MCI ads on Ziff Davis pages.....thanks......not to mention the giant AOL....aka(kindergarten.com) ad....that was the one that really sent me over the top...... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

25. Gaz

Gaz Registered Member

Thanks Javacool, the new version is wonderful.

I love it!

My virus scanner also, on high unknown virus detection level detects it as a trojan, I think it muct be the one click update in it, it must think it is a backdoor.

Anyway, dont worry, I have excluded it, and great software!

Keep up the excellent work!

Regards.
    Gareth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.