Another upgrade?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Perman, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks, Ewido just releases a new upgrade v.4.0.0.172a. I could not find out the reasons behind this, neither what are the fixes . I have v.4.0.0.172 and have no problems. So, what should I doo_O?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Hello Perman,

Where did you get this information about the upgrade from?

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Try www.MajorGeeks.com

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I would hang on Perman until we get more info, sounds unlikely to me.
    P.S. I'm very happy with it as it is also!

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Wrong name, wrong screenshot

Gerard

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Strange that is says ewido anti-malware 4.0.0.172a isn't it?

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks. Ewido anti-malware listed on www.MajorGeeks.com AND
    Ewido security suite listed on www.softpedia.com o_O?:doubt:

8. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

There is an upgrade that comes with the automatic update. In my computer it calls 4.0.0.172 plus

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I think plus is when you have the paid for version.

10. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

This is definitely a updated version. If you click on the download you will see that it lists 4.0.0.172a as the current version for download.

I'm not sure what has been updated, maybe more languages. Just a guess though.;)

11. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

I hope you are right, but why would it show up on other sites and not on ewido's own site. I trust MajorGeeks, but I think I would rahter wait to see what ewido says and comes out with.

HelpFromFrance

Opps, open my mouth and put my foot in. Just checked ewido site and theirs is 4.0.0.172a also!
    :oops:

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I just d/l and installed into another snapshot(the major benefit being a FD-ISR user).These are what I have found so far:(1) download size is 8.01 MB vs 8.00 MB for 172. (2) the program window still shows v. 4.0.0.172 plus rather than 4.0.0.172a plus. (3) runs smoothly so far, no bugs.:)

13. HelpFromFrance

So you see no major differences? Do you think that this is a "real" update or just a "service" update?

HelpFromFrance

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,Folks: Be honest with you, I do not have a slight clue at all. Perhaps It is the RIGHT time for our friends at Ewido to clear the air ?:doubt:

15. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

It is astonishing that 172a can be made available without any announcement from the Ewido bods as to what it is for. So many of us have implemented 172 already and will now wonder what to do about 172a. Come on Ewido, be more informative please!

16. HelpFromFrance

Agreed, it is not fun being in the dark, they could at least put an update history on their web site. If you look at the download link on their site it still says 172, it if you click to download it says 172a. Go figure! :eek: I think I am going to do and wait and see, who knows 172b or 173 may be out before I finish typing. :blink:

HelpFromFrance

17. HelpFromFrance

Have no idea what this means, but compared the 2 downloads & their properities, right clicked on each and looked at "propereties", 172 & 172a. 172 has no digital signature, & 172a does have a digital signature. I am not sure what that could mean o_O , or if that is the only difference.

HelpFromFrance

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I did check the properties section of 172 and 172a and concurred your findings. Since our friends at Ewido still take the stance of "silence is golden", it has left no other choice for me but assume boldly that: the 172 version may have been sneaked out backdoor while the boss was away, and the 172a is the official copy with boss's signature. If my assertion is deviated from the truth(nothing but truth), friens@ewido please disbute. This is your official forum after all.

19. HelpFromFrance

Had another interesting development. I had installed and uninstalled and lost the trial period for Ewido (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136190)

So this morning I decide to install 172a and see if there was a difference, & guess what? I got the trial back. Now go figure. Have no idea what happened or how that worked, but interesting. I am beginning to wonder if the first 172 was really suppose to come out or not. :rolleyes: Surely they did not redo the whole build just for me? :rolleyes:

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

20. btman

btman Registered Member

Nah, I could do that for version 3.5. Two random times I'd just uninstall it and reinstall it and bam 14 day trial is back.

21. HelpFromFrance

btman,

First of all I was joking about the build just for me, ha :D, maybe my humor does not come through since English is not my language ;) . Secondly, I may have not made myself clear about the uninstall reinstall. I had to do it on 3 different machines the day that it came out, that is I installed, 30 minutes later I had to uninstall, 15 minutes later I installed and each time I reinstalled the trial period was gone, it did not come back, no matter what I did. I would uninstall completely, reinstall and no trial period, gone. And here I install the so called update of 172a and the trial period is back. I find that odd, maybe there was a problem in the 172 build.

Whatever the reason I am glad because now I can trial the full features and decide whether I want to buy or not.

Have a good day and thanks for your reply,
    HelpFromFrance

22. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Gahh, I'm installing Ewido on a 15 user site today, do I go & get the "a" version & install it without testing? o_O

23. Biscuit

Has anyone installed 171a in their own system yet? Did you uninstall 171 first, or just install 171a over the top?

24. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

172a works fine for me, but why not test its functionality on your own system first - just to be sure...?

25. Biscuit

Because I'm leaving to do the install in an hour. All I have time for is to test that it installs ok, but all my pcs already have 171.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.