Winamp - Good for recording streaming audio ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by crofttk, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Glad to see that Gracie123 got a pretty much all clear vote on Winamp. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=135260

I want to record streaming audio and notice that, along with many other capabilities, Winamp can do this.

Anybody have any comments, praises, or complaints on that functionality ?

Since it does so much, I wonder if something more specialized (at comparable price or less, Winamp=$20 for Pro) does a higher fidelity job or is more capable/flexible than Winamp.

Thanks for any input, expert or not.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

No expert, but I use Audacity which is free and open source for my recording then I directly output to ogg vorbis. It does the job well for me.

Alphalutra1

3. crofttk

Cool, thanks. You may say you're no expert, Alphalutra1, but from what I've seen of your posts, you seem to be a sharp cookie in general.;)

Audacity looks of interest to me. I see it can encode MP3 with Lame. Although not show stoppers, I see it doesn't yet output WMA or AAC.

I'll check it out further.

Meantime, any others have input ?

4. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Crofttk,

I bought the WinAmp Pro (Lifetime License was offered when going through the checkout) and are very happy with it. My daughter loves it.

Crofttk here is a comparison chart for the Pro vs. Standard.
    http://www.winamp.com/player/

5. crofttk

Thanks very much, Rilla! Have you used Winamp to record internet radio or other audio sources ?

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing Screamer radio and at the moment recording streaming mp3s. really easy one button record hundreds of radio genre and stations available. and it is free http://www.screamer-radio.com/

Attached Files:

7. crofttk

Thanks, bigc, I saw it in that post by PaulBB and just recently noticed it'll capture streams.

8. Rilla927

No. I have version 4.2.6 (I purchased last year) and it doesn't support it.

When I seen your post that reminded me to check and see what version they were at, so I'm way behind. When customer service sends me the info I need to d/l the new version I will try the live streaming radio and let you know how it goes. I just hope they are prompt with emails.

9. crofttk

Hey, everybody, thanks for the input.

Hehe.... I've been scrounging around and searching up information about recording streaming audio while fielding the responses here. What I've found is that there is a HUGE amount of discussion out in this wonderful world of cyberspace around the legalities of doing this.:ninja: Please understand I'm not really interested in doing anything illegal.

Honestly, for some reason, I can't get my Realplayer Plus or Windows Medai Player to rip my CDs (that I bought, for my personal use only) into WMA format to put on my MP3 player. I want WMA format because I understand it sounds better at lower bitrates (say 96 kbps) than MP3, which is optimized for higher bitrates. I want to cram everything I can on this 2 GB player, of course. Please, don't any of you true audiophiles bother to tell me how sucky 96 kpbs in ANY format would sound because my hearing acuity, or lack thereof, and chronic tinnitus makes this an issue that I'll just have to judge for myself and not rely on the opinion of those with more fully functional and refined organs of auditory perception.

I could have sworn that, at one time, I was able to rip my CDs to WMA using RealPlayer Plus or WMP either one. Now, I may have a codec problem or something, I just can't figure it out. So, frankly, I was looking for a workaround for the time being because I'm not sure how long it'll take me, if I ever do, to resolve whether I should be able to rip to WMA format or not -- and I may be willing to pay a little for that workaround, like perhaps the $20 for Winamp, but a free solution may be preferred.

SO, now that I've spilled the beans completely, and claimed a legitimate purpose here (at least I THINK it's legitimate), how 'bout if I just throw this wide open and ask:

Has anyone had the problem I describe above and how did you either resolve it or work around it ?

Lacking any constructive suggestions here, I will start checking out Winamp and the other suggested alternatives.

10. dog

dog Guest

What error do you get when you try to rip the tracks? Have you tried any other ripper?

11. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

bigc.,

Do you require a mike to record via the Screamer, and if not is that due

to XP having better capabilities than earlier OS's ?

I have tried a couple of others and something called line in, but to no avail,

if no luck I shall have to get a Mike.

TIA,

Kind Regards.

12. bigc73542

no microphone. just hit the record button and you are recording. :thumb: :thumb:

13. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

I agree with Bigc, Screamer Radio is by far one of the best free audio stream recording software programs around. It's even better than many payware programs. I found it superior to many different stream recorders and media players capable of recording streams like Jet Audio, Quintessential player and WinAmp's StationRipper plug-in and StreamRipper etc...

I tried many different media players/stream recorders and some that just record the audio going through your sound card (like Audacity) and I still like Screamer the best for recording streams. I found Screamer records more audio stream types successfully than any other stream recorder I have tried, even many payware programs.

The only problem I found with Screamer is you can't set it up to record whenever you like. When your away from your computer or while your sleeping for example. But there are plently of ways around that, so it isn't really much of a problem.

My recommendation is if you want one of the best stream recorders around, try Screamer..... you'll be glad you did.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  14. crofttk

Here's what I get from RealPlayerPlus:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/crofttk/RPerr.jpg
    (All updates have been installed, the "more info" link doesn't work, and their knowledge base and forums search engines bite the big one.:mad: )

And from WMP9 (after rolling back from WMP10 which exhibited same problem)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/crofttk/WMPerr.jpg

I HAVE ripped successfully with the "dMC Audio CD Input" component of dBpowerAMP Music Converter and that IS a feasible workaround but I would just prefer to have one application that correctly manages everything in addition to playing the music if I can find it -- sorry I wasn't that clear about it in the beginning.

The more I think about it now, the more I'm starting to have doubts that ripping the actual playback audio stream of these CDs is the way to go.

I'm feeling a little silly now but, actually, if I could just solve the root problem with RealPlayer encoding to WMA format, I'd probably be perfectly happy. I'm just a little p---ed at Real right now and I guess reaching out for a more robust application (or a quick workaround, whichever comes first).

Sorry I'm having trouble making up my mind and defining my problem correctly for you all.:oops:

15. bigc73542

I just start it recording in the morning and let it record all day long. I get a few songs I don't want but not many.

16. crofttk

Thanks, spindoctor. That's the kind of input I've been looking for. I take from your nick that, if you're not a PR expert, perhaps you are an audiophile of some sort.;) Either way, I appreciate the input.

17. bigc73542

Gentlemen This is a very interesting subject, but my self included we have drifted off topic. lets try to confine our replys to the threads title

Winamp - Good for recording streaming audio ?

thanks
    bigc

18. crofttk

I guess it's my fault for misnaming the thread -- I did a bad job of defining the problem up front.

19. bigc73542

not a problem, it was an interesting thread. I enjoyed it.:D

20. Rilla927

I never thought that in the first place. You have the right to choose what you want to do.

What version of WMP do you have? There is nothing wrong with WMA format. That's what I prefer also.

When you have more than one player on your computer and you have all the same file associations checked they will battle each other. That's why I choose to have all WMP player association files checked only with in WMP. Real Player I choose all RP associated files only. The odd balls left I choose what player they sound and support best in one player only. I have WMP, RP and Quicktime Pro and they all co-exist happily on my desktop.

Crofttk have you checked your properties for your optical drive? Enable CD Recording on this Drive. Just throwing some stuff out there that I can think of. Don't know if it will help!

Have you updated a driver or firmware for your optical drive recently? Does your drive work other than not burning the music in these programs? Like burning files to CD. If you have updated the Firmware it screws with the DMA on the drive and windows will revert to the PIO Mode. Then you have to re-enable the DMA again.

You are too funny:D

21. Rilla927

22. Spyros

Spyros Registered Member

"MP3myMP3"
    http://www.mp3mymp3.com/
    Amazing piece of software! (Freeware!!!) :thumb:

23. crofttk

OK, folks, I sincerely appreciate all the help. I have solved my problem.

I indirectly mentioned (or just implied) above that the problem appeared when I had WMP 10 installed and it persisted when I rolled back to WMP 9.

I don't know why I didn't do this earlier but I went ahead and removed WMP 9 from Windows and then reinstalled WMP 10.

Guess what......
    (I know what you're guessing;) )

You're right, every thing works perfectly again !:eek:

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised as this is kind of a standard procedure to uninstall and reinstall related software. I think I was just to afraid of screwing up what had been, up until now, a trouble free Windows installation.

So, I just got done ripping from a CD to WMA variable bit rate format in WMP 10 and then I proceded to rip successfully from RealPlayer Plus to WMA 96 kbps.

Thanks everybody for the tips and a BIG thanks to one of our illustrious moderators, dog*puppy*, for the PM about some Microsoft web site material which inspired me to go back and lay this problem at Microsoft's feet -- sure enough, it took straightening out M$ software (and probably an accompanying WMA codec reinstall) to solve the problem.:p

24. Rilla927

Crofttk I'm glad you got it straightened out:)

Happy burning.

25. crofttk

Thanks. Too bad I have to wait until work is done. I guess I'll get to play this evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.