ewido anti-spyware 4.0.0.172 final is available now!

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by vinzenz.ewido, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have installed 4.0 and running a scan. So far, so good.

I admit some confusion or maybe disappointment in not seeing "trojans" as malware that 4.0 protects against.
    I consider that the greatest use of Ewido is as an AT. Is this now a secondary use or is Ewido not an AT anymore?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Are you really worried about VIRTUAL MEMORY?!

And Jerry: As far as I can tell the only thing that has changed is the name...Ewido still does everything that it did before, plus more :)

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, and I hope so since I have a lifetime license. I wonder why Ewido folks did not include trojans as they did in the past?

Jerry

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I'm a little confused by what you mean, Jerry....when you say "I wonder why Ewido folks did not include trojans as they did in the past". I'm guessing you mean somewhere in the NAME of the product....or in some "Key Features" list....because I can't imagine the detection and removal of trojans being compromised in any way, shape, form, or fashion. If so, then Grisoft just sealed their own doom :p

5. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

Are you crazy? We never have included trojans. :mad:

6. vinzenz.ewido

The same threat kinds as before are detected by 4.0.0.x

It's just the name has changed.

BR

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Good. I guess I am crazy. I sure thought I saw "trojans" in the list on 3.5. :):)

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  8. vinzenz.ewido

But _WE_ do not include trojans. We detect trojans. That's a big difference.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK. I like that better, especially if that includes removal.:D

Regards,
    Jerry

10. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I don't think that's what Jerry was referring to. I think he's referring to the WORDING on the web-site (and possibly the GUI as well.....don't know, cause I haven't downloaded it yet).

For example....in this link: http://www.ewido.net/en/

it says the following:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/773/ewidodescription8zi.png

Notice the referrence to "Sypware, adware, dialer, keylogger and worms"...but NO mention of "Trojans". I think that's what he's referring to.

Jerry, please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken here....

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

~snipped quote - Quoting it isn't necessary when replying to the post directly above - especially a full post quote~ dog

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Another page did show trojans, and I am satisfied with the answers from the Ewido folks. I have wanted Ewido primarily for trojan detection, as some AVs are not that good with trojan detection, and the layering of the AV and Ewido greatly improves the overall security in my view.

I note that A squared 2.0 is now out, and I am thinking of trialing it. I understand that it is compatible with Ewido, although I would not want to run them both at the same time.

Jerry

Thanks,
    Jerry

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2006
  12. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Version 4 Looking Good

Installed and accepted my license easily. Runs noticeably lighter. Liking the additional tools (shredder). Nicely done, ewido. Frankly, I don't care if it's called ewido "Fred", it's terrific, IMNSHO! :D

13. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Yes, most of the time security programs are blocking the installation of the driver and/or service. We could have added a big warning like "Please disable all your security program prio to install ewido anti-spyware" which would help in some cases, but most of the user would get suspicios when they read a message like that nowadays :(

We will add "Trojans" again to all descriptions, it's a mistake and was not intended :)

14. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

Thanks for the update info Vinzenz and Peter. I duly uninstalled the beta version, rebooted, then installed 4.0.0.172, finally entered new license code. All ticketyboo. However I did notice two things afterwards: 'start with windows' was not showing as checked in the sys-tray pop-up (right-click on icon); and nor was 'cookies removal' in the resident shield options. Easily remedied but I thought I'd point these out.
    It was also good that Grisoft have not (yet maybe) intruded in the name of the product: still Ewido, not Grisoft or Grisoft Ewido!
    Oh and Ewido might have renamed the product Ewido Anti Spyware but the daily updates info in http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security still get reassuringly listed under anti-trojan, since its trojan protection most users choose Ewido for :p

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  15. Cpt. Sparrow

Cpt. Sparrow Registered Member

Uninstalled 3.5, rebooted, installed 4.0. Worked flawlessly.

License code was converted on the website within 2 seconds. Pasted into 4.0 and was immediately accepted.

Good job, Vinzenz & Peter!

One question remains: I see you're not offering the lifetime license any more. What happens to the users who - like me - bought the lifetime license? Will Grisoft continue ewido's policy?

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Tried it against some malware samples and found it good so far.
    I want to ask what features it retains after the trial period is over?

17. vinzenz.ewido

The following features will be turned off in the free version:
    • Scheduled scans
    • Real-time monitoring of the entire system
    • Memory Scan detects active threats
    • Self-protection at kernel layer guarantees gapless monitoring
    • Automatic online-update

I have to say that the memory scan mentioned here is done by the resident shield. The manual memory scan will work anyway in the free version, also you can manually update by clicking on the 'update now' button in the update module.

18. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Could you please say something on the lifetime keys also.. I have one too...

19. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the

I was surprised...that its name was change in an instant!!! But, maybe, an anti-spyware is more marketable than an anti-malware...isn't it? So..it is now safer to uninstall my other reliable "oldtime anti-spywares" coz Ewido anti-spyware will also serves as the best detector of spywares aside from trojans etc...?

20. vinzenz.ewido

They will stay lifetime licenses, but needs to be converted as the other licenses too.

BR

21. vinzenz.ewido

Among other things, too many people still thought that ewido anti-malware is an antivirus software which it is not. So we decided to solve the disaccord and rename it once more to ewido anti-spyware.
    Which does not change anything on the kind of threats we're searching/protecting for.

22. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

Hi, vinzenz.ewido

I understand the name change, but now that you are called the program Ewido Anti-Spyware will you be moving more in that direction in the future, or keeping Ewido as a good all rounder at detecting various kinds of malware?

Thanks

23. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

Vinzenz and Peter? You may be intrigued to know that Spybot currently shows the new 4.0 instal as a Central24 malware when scanning. Oops! Presumably a false positive on Spybot's part but Spybot is apparantly investigating it, per their forum.
    For your information, here is how the Spybot find is described:

Central24: Uninstall settings (Registry key) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ewidoantispyware4

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, i noticed it is not monitoring new start up enteried, new services and any toolbars etc to IE.

25. vinzenz.ewido

If you're talking about the analysis tools those things are monitored there. The resident shield monitors the memory and blocks malicious/suspicious software which tries to start up.
    And it monitors tracking cookies. If they're created the will be deleted automatically (if the option is enabled in the resident shield settings)

BR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.