Undo Disk "Clone" (Restore C:)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by alhaqq, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alhaqq

alhaqq Registered Member

Undo Disk Image (Restore C:)

Hello All,

In attempting to image a failing drive (my C:--win2ksp4), I somehow managed to image in the wrong direction (my :ouch: screw-up; I wasn't exactly paying 100% attention--and let the software do it automatically).

I loaded the CD and booted from the ATI op system and I followed the "automatic" sequence--I defaulted to each presented choice and when I realized that the imaging had gone too fast...I realized it had gone in the wrong direction. The second drive was set up as an ntfs 5 drive and had no data at all on it. I am figuring that the "data" is still there--however, the MBR/Partition Table/Directory were "wiped out" in the screw-up. Is it possible to attempt to one of the following: undo what was done, or use the Repair Console on the Win2k boot cd to "fix" the MBR or do a "fixboot"? I am currently running in the recovery console "chkdsk /r" to see if any of the directory can be salvaged. (I have important data backed up, however, I'd like to recover the entire structure, as is; there is some data--not necessaraly life-threatening--that I'd like to get back.)

Any ideas? (Like, does windows keep an extra copy of the disk structure--similar to system restore--hidden somewhere else on the HD--that can be restored to undo :ouch:'s like mine...?)

Thanks for any suggestions...
    mike

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Re: Undo Disk Image (Restore C:)

Did you, in fact, image the drive, or did you clone it? Big difference.

3. alhaqq

alhaqq Registered Member

Re: Undo Disk Image (Restore C:)

My apologies--language is exacting...I tried to "clone" the drive C->D.

BTW. CHKDSK /r did find data. How to restore the partition table/mbr/etc. is my issue...

please see this thread, as this thread has inconsistant use of terminology (my apologies):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=135786

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  4. alhaqq

alhaqq Registered Member

Hello All (again),

I decided to post a new thread with the correct terminology--as I could not find how to edit the title of the existing thread o_O :

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=135771

As described previously--I tried to clone the data from a failing drive (win2ksp4) to a clean drive (both ntfs 5). Ran ATI once from CD--got an error message about some bad sector info from reading c->d during drive examination from the clone process--pressed retry--acronis hung up--did nothing--after 10 min--reboot.

When I rebooted to ATI again, I selected clone again--not realizing that ATI had chosen the "receiving" drive as the drive to clone. So the clone process went from D->C. As there is no data on D--and all that was written seemed to be the directory layout (whatever it is called) of D:. Is there any way of restoring (or just retrieving) the data from this disk?

Thanks again,
    mike

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

A commericla recovery house might be able to pull off some data but basically, you erased the partition info on the receiving drive when the cloning started. So, it's probably been erased on both drives if, however inadvertently, you tried to clone each drive to the other.

6. alhaqq

alhaqq Registered Member

The disk (drive #2) that I meant to be receiving end, had no data on it, other than the MBR, Partition Table, disk directory, and the volume info. Drive #1, according to what I've researched already, has, in essence, received a "quick format"--I assume wiping out the disk directory, but leaving the data itself intact--just "unlinked" to a directory.

I'm using PC Inspector currently to try to extract the data files off the drive. (It seems that this is the best I can do--get any data off that I want and then start from scratch.)

If anyone has any better software/ideas, I would appreciate the advice.

Thx,
    mike

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello alhaqq,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that you can try to use Acronis Recovery Expert which is included into Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0. It may recover deleted or lost partitions. I would recommend you to download Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 trial version in order to make sure that it works for you. Please be aware that using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 trial version, you will be able to create a "scenario" of the changes which can be made but you will not be able to complete the operations. Therefore, if the trial version will be able to "find" the deleted partitions then the full version will be able to recover them.

Please find more information on how to use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 in the respective User's Guide.

You can purchase the full version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 in Acronis online store.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.