Best Software Set for Security / Performance

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hangetsu, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I'm trying to decide on a configuration (AV / AS-AT / FW) which would provide me excellent security, while not taking up too much in resources. For AV, I figured NOD32 would be the best choice. For Anti-Spyware / Anti-Trojans, I know Spysweeper and Ewido are good, but if I recall both use up pretty hefty resources. From a firewall perspective, I only really know ZoneAlarm Pro (and that's given performance issues of late).

If you had to recommend a setup that was light on resources without skirting on security, what would you recommend? I'm happy with using purchased software (I've never been comfortable with free software guarding my machine -- That's just a personal quirk :D )

2. dog

dog Guest

I would go with NOD, LnS and skip a resident AS/AT - I'd invest the cash in an Application Firewall like PG, Ghost SecuritySuite or SSM. One of the great things with choosing this route is no yearly renewals for LnS or any of the application firewalls listed. Everything listed is system resource light and if you're fairly PC compentant, those application firewalls will give you complete control of your system and prevent infections in the first place. There are a number of free AT/AS applications available for on-demand scans, if you find that necessary. Similarly, investing in an imaging solution would be a wise idea ... whether it be Acronis, Ghost, or Terabytes Image for Windows.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I use Kaspersky AV personal 5, Unhackme, Ourpost Pro, ProcessGuard & RegDefend. They work well together. You will get slightly different setups from various users, but a multi-layered approach described by Dog that includes a good AV, firewall and HIPS is great protection. Another popular program on this forum is Online Armor.

4. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Out of curiousity -- You mention KAV 5, but if I recall that uses significant resources (although its an excellent AV!).

I'm looking for something that has close (or equal) security, but with better performance (less memory utilization, etc.).

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

For pure lightness...., I'd probably goes with my son's gaming config of NOD32/BOClean/LooknStop and if there was a desire to kick the coverage up a notch, I'd probably add RegDefend to the mix. The version of F-Prot currently in beta might be a contender for the AV slot in the future, I'm running it on one machine and it looks good, but I try to stay in the here and now with software choices.

Blue

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 6.. Never been so amazed by its features, resource usage (the highest I've seen in Memory usage is 10MB, and that's not very often either.. :eek: ) and friendlyness... ;)
    As well known, their AV is one of the best out there, but not only that.. Their FireWall, and even their Anti-Spy got awesome results at PcMag's testing (almost comparing to the stand-alone Anti-Spyware programs like Spyware Doctor and Spy Sweeper (my personal first choice in Anti-Spyware software..)), making it a superior choice for anyone. :cool:

The settings coming out of the box suits almost everyone, but of course you can set the Anti-Virus to automatic Disinfection, and the FireWall to a much higher security level. :)

This new version also features 'Proactive Protection', to detect unknown viruses before there are any signatures available (also known as Zero-Day Protection in general...), and the IS Suite got the "Best Choice" award at FireWall Leak Tester.. ;)

7. attila4000

attila4000 Registered Member

more info needed. os and hardware specs (cpu and memory). i would just invest in av and fw and spyware if you run as administrator when online. i just use nod32, NAT, and limited user accounts when online. also make sure windows and all software is fully patched. also dont file-share, send/receive email and IM attachments, and browse unsafe parts of the web. dont install software from unknown companies and your computer should be safe.

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

i use KIS for firewall, AV and AS an ad-block, and use pestpatrol, spywareblaster, ad-aware, spyware guard, super-antispyeare and spybot s&d for on-demand every few weeks... only get cookies when doing on-demand, nothing major

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Firewall - Sygate, Jetico.
    AV - NOD32 or AVG Free, but you can also live happily without a resident one if you use Dr.Web link checker, Kaspersky online plugin and maybe Bit Defender or ClamWin on-demand ones.
    AS / AT - If anything only Ewido.
    Furthermore, you make AV / AS / AT rather unnecessary if you use FF with Noscript plugin, very simple.
    Mrk

10. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have NOD32, OA, PG ,L&S,Ewido, Spy Sweeper and to top it off DefenceWall. Everything works great together. DefenceWall keeps them off and the rest are insurance. If I had to slim down I would remove SS. Ewido I only use for scans.

11. attila4000

attila4000 Registered Member

"Furthermore, you make AV / AS / AT rather unnecessary if you use FF with Noscript plugin, very simple."

good point mrkvonic. my dad can afford any client software he wants, but he only wants to use IE, OE, and MS Word. he doesnt want to learn anything else at age 72. he could easily afford and purchase every latest version of MS Office Pro when MS releases it, but why bother if he isnt going to use the 100,000 included features. i ordered MS Works for him instead. it may be "very simple" for you but not for him. he knows IE and that is all he is going to know until the day he dies. FF would solve many potential security headaches.

12. screamer

screamer Registered Member

See my sig for security apps. I have no problems and my machine suffers no resource related issues. Especially since I ditched Zone Alarm & NAV.

Oh! FireFox w/ noscripts & Filterset.G :thumb:
    IE.7Beta :thumbd: (Only for updates and some Fedex Shipping SED use)

Totally Agree w/ DOG. I purchased First Defence and yesterday it saved my ass from a corrupt registry.

...screamer

trialing Dynamic Security Agent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.