"Not the last created volume" problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jts, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jts

jts Registered Member

I made a full image of my HD to CD (2 CDs used) which resulted in a successful image according to screen message.

I then attempted to explore the image. I inserted the first of two CDs. I get an error message "This is not the last created volume of the image archive, etc". But it is the last image that I made. I can not assign a drive letter to the CD.

How can I check the image? Will these CDs restore my drive if necessary? I made and tried two different images with same result.

Thank you for your assisstance in advance.

js

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I believe that the only way to mount/plug/explore an image that spans CDs is to copy all the files to the HD. As I understand it, all the pieces must be in the same place.

3. jts

jts Registered Member

Thank you for the response but....

I tried moving the files from CD to HD and then checking image. The same result. I am unable to check the image and I got the message that the image I am checking is not the last created volume of the image archive.

I tried checking image after booting with the TI boot disk, same message. I tried in Safe Mode, same result. Should I try to image my HD again (this will be the third time)? Is the image corrupt?

Please advise. Thank you Everyone.

js

4. TheWeaz

Sorry I can’t help any more than that. Hopefully Support will get around to you soon.
    If the image was corrupt, I think that’s what TI would tell you; not the message you’re getting now.
    Just to be sure – you did copy all the files from the 2 CDs to the same folder on the HD, correct?

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI and some other backup programs write their data out to files as they perform the backup and then the last thing they do is write what might be called a directory or catalog of the backup contents. When the restore function is performed the LAST volume is accessed first because it contains the information that tells the restore program where the data is and how it is layed out.

In TI each tib file is a volume and the set of one or more tib files is called an archive.

So to do a restore you need to insert the CD with the last created tib file into the drive first. However, if you have copied all of the files to a single folder on a HD and it still doesn't work there must be another problem. The obvious thing is that TI did not finish creating the backup properly; of course, finding the reason is another matter. :)

If you can, I would make the backup to another partition on the drive or other drive and then try it. Note that if you have the space available, you can make an image of C on drive C. It may give an error warning message but ignore it. Note that you cannot restore an image of a partition that is stored on the same partition.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello js,

Are you in fact trying to "validate" the image or explore it via "Mount Image" feature? If you are "validating" an image created on multiple CDs/DVDs you need to insert the last disk first and then follow TI's prompts for subsequent disk changes. However, if you are indeed "exploring" an image via the Mount Image Wizard then this can only be carried out (a) within Windows mode and (b) all the .tib files are copied back from the CDs/DVDs into a single folder on your hard drive.

Regards

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

jts,
    In order for your image backup to fit on two CD's, your used hard drive space would have to be less than 3 gig (approximately). How does that compare with your current actual used space?

8. Ron Ho

Ron Ho Registered Member

I had that message come up too. I had named it containing the letters something_old.tib
    Did you call it something like that? I haven't looked further into it yet, but I thought having old in the filename might have been the reason.
    I really hope they update the help files to something more understandable for the layman.

9. jts

jts Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

I named the first image something like Full Backup 6-8-06 and then the second image something different but similar. I didn't use the word 'old' in the name.

What is the most reliable method to check an image once its made to CD's? This is a "peace of mind" question. I just HAVE to know if I can count on the CD's for a full recovery.

Thank you!!

10. TheWeaz

Are saying that the backup created 2 files and then you renamed them? There are internal “hooks” that link files of a multi-set together. Renaming any file in the set will surely screw you up.

11. jts

jts Registered Member

No.... I made two completly different images.... the first image, when I tried to explore the image in TI, gave me the "not last created image" message and an error message (didn't write down the exact wording). So I attempted a completly different, second image resulting with the same message as above.

Thank you for your help!!!

12. TheWeaz

Man, you've lost me now.

"I made a full image of my HD to CD (2 CDs used)"

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

I think it's the hyphen characters (-) making the filename not valid. Try without them.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

jts, as Menorcaman has already mentioned, you should use the Validate Backup Archive tool in order to check an image. If the image is spitted into several volumes then you should insert the CD where the latest volume resides and start the validation process. You will be asked to insert other CDs with rest of volumes of image until the process is finished. Please try to do this and let us know the results.

All the volumes of the image archive should be copied into one folder if you want to mount this image.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.