uninstall True Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by u571, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. u571

u571 Registered Member

How do I completely uninstall true image?I uninstalled it thru control , add remove programs, but it leaves references to it in the registry.

2. u571

u571 Registered Member

Re: uninstall True Image, Help Please!!!!!

Geez I thought this was a support forum, No one knows how to completely uninstall True Image, I got a problem True Image is stopping me from starting windows xp, because I reassigned the location of the drive.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. u571

u571 Registered Member

I did a search before I posted this thread and got nothing. But it doesn't matter you found it, thanks I appreciate it

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No offense intended and good luck to you.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello u571,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that starting from build 3567 Acronis True Image is based on the completely new 9.1 software "engine". The instructions mentioned above by both ronjor and Menorcaman are meant for the older Acronis True Image versions and therefore not entirely correct with respect to the builds higher than 3567. Our experts are currently working on the new instructions. I'll post the updated instructions in this thread as soon as they will finish their work. As this can take a few days we apologize in advance for any delay with the response. If you are using version 8.0 (any build) or version 9.0 build older than 3567 then please feel free to use the instructions mentioned above.

Please fix your hard drive's MBR either by booting the computer from Windows XP installation CD and issuing the 'fixmbr' command in Recovery Console or using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help then please provide us with the more detailed information on thew problem:

- What exact version and build number of Acrons True Image did you use?

You can find the full version name and build number either by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window or by right-clicking on the installation file in Windows Explorer and looking tthrough it's Properties -> Version tab.

- What do you mean exactly when saying that Acronis True Image is stopping you from starting Windows XP?

- Let us know what happens exactly when you try to boot into Windows;

- Do you receive any error, warning or informational messages upon Windows startup?

- What do you mean exactly when saying that you "reassigned the location of the drive"?

- Did you create Acronis Secure Zone?

- Did you activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please do the following in order to uninstall Acronis True Image 9.x Enterprise Server/Server for Windows/Home manually:

1.) Remove Acronis Secure Zone (if not installed, proceed to the next step):

- Removing automatically: Start Acronis True Image, start the Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard and select Remove Acronis Secure Zone;

- Removing manually:

a.) If Acronis Startup Recovery Manager is activated then fix/restore your hard drive's MBR either by booting the computer from Windows installation CD and issuing the 'fixmbr' command in Recovery Console or using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post.

b.) Delete the Acronis Secure Zone partition (by means of Windows Disk Management, for example);

2.) Remove Windows Installer configuration:

- Download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, install it and run it;

- Select Acronis True Image in the list of the applications available for cleaning up (if listed) and hit Remove;

3.) Remove Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer:

Windows 98/ME:

- Run Device Manager (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager) and delete Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer;

- Run regedit and delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AcronisTimounterMonitor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\AcronisDevices

- Delete \windows\system\iosubsys\timntr.pdr

Windows NT 4.0:

- Go to Start -> Run -> issue 'regedit' command -> delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\AcronisTimounterMonitor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tifsfilter

Windows 2000/XP/2003:

- Run Device Manager (see above) and delete Acronis True Image Backup Archive Explorer;

- Run regedit and delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\timounter

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tifsfilter

- Delete timounter value from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

4.) Remove Acronis SnapAPI drivers:

- Removing automatically: Download the standalone SnapAPI installer, run it and select Uninstall Acronis Drivers (unpack the downloaded ZIP archive and execute the MSI file).

- Removing manually:

Windows 98/ME:

- Run regedit and delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\snaphlp

- Delete the following files:

WINDOWS\system\iosubsys\snapman.vxd

WINDOWS\system\snaphlp.vxd

WINDOWS\system\SnapAPI.dll

Windows NT 4.0: Delete snapman key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Windows 2000/XP/2003:

- Delete snapman value (only snapman value, do not touch other items) from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

- Delete snapman key from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Note: If you use Windows NT operating system (Windows NT 4.0 and higher), please never delete the binary files of the drivers (SnapAPI.dll and alike). This may corrupt the Last Known Good Configuration.

5.) Unregister Acronis Scheduler service: Download Acronis Scheduler Manager, run it (double-click on it) and execute the below commands:

service stop
    service uninstall
    exit

6.) Open Windows Task Manager and stop the TrueImageMonitor.exe process;

7.) Go to Start -> Run -> issue the 'regedit' command -> delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tib

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tis

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tibfile

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tisfile

8.) Delete TrueImageMonitor.exe value from: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

9.) Delete \Program Files\Acronis folder

10.) Delete \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis folder

11.) Delete \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis folder

12.) Delete \WINDOWS\system32\autoprnt.exe if it exists;

13.) Delete shortcuts from Desktop and Start menu;

14.) Reboot the computer.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  9. Menorcaman

Hello Alexey,

Thank you very much for the latest total uninstall instructions. I feel it would be useful if you included a reference and link to these new instructions in the Acronis Support "sticky" titled <PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST>. Obviously the link will need to be amended if and when you post different instructions.

Best regards

10. Acronis Support

11. Menorcaman

Excellent! Thank you very much Alexey. It will now be much easier to point future enquiries in the right direction.

Best regards

12. kdkrone

kdkrone Registered Member

There is a reference in the uninstall instructions to

"Download Acronis Scheduler Manager, run it....."

I could not find this under Downloads on the Acronis website. Where does one find ito_O

Thanks
    Ken K

13. Acronis Support

14. kdkrone

Thanks. Sorry that I missed that.

I have a question about the first instruction of the removal instructions. I am away from home and am able to do everything in the instructions except the first instruction, which involves the Secure Zone. I have never set up the secure zone so I am hoping that skipping this step is not an issue.

A curious thing happens when I did a reinstall and that is the error message that says that the program cannot find Acronis True Image Home and that it should be re-installed. When I reinstalled again (c: drive-typical) after a careful cleaning (of everything except the MBR), the same message occurred. When I did a search through the registry, one of the keys gave d:\acronis\trueimage\trueimage.exe (or something like that). I had originally installed the program on d: drive when things were working well and when I uninstalled the program, I reinstalled it on c: drive. Is it possible that there an instruction written in the MBR when one has used a CD for boot that instructs the program to look to D: drive for my installation? Should I try an installation on d:drive again?

Thanks
    Ken K

15. Menorcaman

Hello Ken,

Acronis Support don't normally visit this forum at this time of day (or night!!) so perhaps I can chip in.

If you haven't created a SZ then you can skip that part of the uninstall instructions.

As you have never created a SZ, and hence could not have activated the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager either, TI will not have written anything to your MBR. Personally, I would use the instructions again to unstall Build 3633 and then search the Windows Registry via Regedit for any references to D:\acronis\trueimage\, delete them and then try and install Build 3633 again.

Regards

16. kdkrone

Thanks for jumping in. I have done the uninstall-reinstall dance twice now with the same results and am presently in the uninstalled phase. I think I will try a reinstall and if I run into the same error message, and if I find a reference to d: drive again, i will find the appropriate location of trueimage.exe on c: drive, change the entry, and see what happens.

Any idea how the program reinstall picks up on the d: drive for one entryo_O

also, what IS the way to catch the eye of support? The product is a good one but usually with a product like this, when one needs support, it is in a crisis situation. Waiting days is not very comforting...

Thanks
    Ken K

17. Menorcaman

Hi again Ken,

I wouldn't do that because by then the reference to the D: drive may well aready have confused the install routine. As I said, find and delete all references to D:\acronis\trueimage\ first and then reinstall.

The working of the TI install and uninstall routines are beyond me I'm afraid (and going by past performance - some of the Acronis Programers too :p :D).

Raise a tech query via support@acronis.com and you will receive an automated response containing an Acronis Request Number. At the same time, it does no harm also posing your query in this forum and quoting the Acronis Request Number. If you don't receive a technical response from support@acronis.com within 48hrs of receiving their automated response, you can ask the Acronis Support Moderators on this forum to check on the progress of your query.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  18. kdkrone

The registry has been cleaned each of the two uninstalls when I did a registry search for acronis and for trueimage, yet twice now, doing a typical install, the reference to d: drive popped up. I will give it one more chance. Perhaps third time will be a charm...

Ken

19. kdkrone

Well, third time was a charm! The only thing I did different was to do a complete install instead of a typical install. The program fired up without any error messages. I did a verification of a file without hiccup.

I will attempt to do a restore onto another disk when I return home this weekend--that will be the true test. Last time, I received an error that the file was not a backup file or was corrupted, yet the file was verified both before and after trying to mount it with the CD....

Thanks,
    Ken K

20. GottaRegisterDang

GottaRegisterDang Registered Member

Hi Alexey

I'd like to request that Acronis either fix the uninstall process so that its automated, or provide a automated tool which would check which versions are installed, and completely (correctly and succesfully) remove True image

I was able to fix my system by following the latest uninstall steps; but I can see others maybe not being so lucky and kill off something else. (+ its a pain to have to manually follow a bunch of steps which should be in the application as a default)

Aside: My test system was in a strange state of random reboots from around installing the full TI9.1ws. I had the 9.1ws trial on my system (which was uninstalled), then a full 9.1ws install, then an update to the latest 9.1 ws, then uninstalled it, and installed the full TI9.0 SOHO version, and then unstalled it. After the manual cleanup, its now seems to be working as expected.

Thanks

Paul

21. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Manual removal that usuall worksL

A handy tool for cleaning the registry is jv16 powertools:

http://www.macecraft.com/

Use the Reg Finder tool in the Power Tools proglram and search for all registry entries with with "Acronis" or "Trueimage" and delete those entries.

Delete the Acronis directory under Program Files and under Program File\Common Files\ and also under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data.

That ought to clean things.

You can probably find free versions of registry cleaner -- some folks suggest ccleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

good luck,
    sh

22. GottaRegisterDang

GottaRegisterDang Registered Member

Actually

The uninstall didn't work for me ;-(

After playing with what I thought was a fixed system, I was getting Acronis applications errors (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=165884)

Lucky that I had a Pre TI 9.1 image made with my TI 9.1 home Acronis boot disk) At the time I didn't remember that I'd made it.

Just restored back the OS partition and was then able to continue my testing

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.