Screenshot from next GSS build

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Jason_R0, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I am going to show a screenshot from the next build. This will show people how early GSS now starts, earlier than even Windows it seems. ;)

Multiple users will now get alerts, and it should even work using remote desktop. The ghosts and logo will be optional.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Very nice Jason. So I assume everything from there in will show alerts as processes try to load?

Pilli

3. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Yes alerts for AppDefend and RegDefend occur before the desktop has loaded and from my testing before any other similar software gets the chance to. :)

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

And when we can expect the new build?

Regards

5. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I'd say the next BETA is about 4 weeks away at this stage, the stability of the code is such that I can estimate the date better than before.

I am thinking about releasing an ALPHA before that just to lay the ground with a few more experienced testers just to make sure all the new code works well across even more systems.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

So Jason, Is this a complete re-write of your last beta code? It appears that way and I guess explains why it has taken longer than you expected.

Anyway it will be good to see the new beta when it is ready :)

7. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I'll just add, that if you want to be an ALPHA tester, send me a PM.

To successfully be an ALPHA tester you will need a VIRTUAL MACHINE or at least a spare partition for Windows 2000/XP/2003 AND/OR backup software.

8. crazy4stef

crazy4stef Registered Member

we wait a long time before this software release a new vertion.

I guess this new version will not let us down,the more excellent . :)

9. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Looks very interesting - but I hope those ghost graphics are optional... ;) (edit:yes, I see they are, overlooked the mention in the first post).

10. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Looks+Sounds awsome :eek: :cool:

can't wait.

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for the info ;)

12. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I am a little confused. Does it mean that there will be no AppDefend 1.0 final version and we will get the GSS 1.0 final instead? Or AppDefend 1.0 is included in the GSS 1.0 final? Or we will have AppDefend 2.0 beta soon? o_O

13. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

AD and RD are now components of GSS. Installing GSS will give you access to both components, but you register/buy licences for each component independently.

14. buffet

buffet Registered Member

should it be the best if GSS comes with a greate firewall at most?

15. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Jason_R0 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space

Someone is getting popular ;)
    Btw their migth be a typo on the graphic:

This computer *is* protected by

-------------------------------

On another note the i know a way to start any application at that time.
    But it somehow involve towing with windows file protection dll.
    GSS will be running as System user rigth ?
    The other program had the nice feature of creating a desktop with system privilege ....
    Any chance to offer a feature to run arbitrary executable ?
    Eg regedit before any spyware have the chance to start ?
    If you do so ... you should lock that feature with a password or it'll be an easy route to privilege escalation.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Same here o_O

17. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Sorry about the messagebox filling up, I have cleared away most messages so there is a more room now. Don't worry if I don't message you back about the alpha, anyone who has asked will be given the opportunity. If it fills up again (I have 150 message limitation) just wait until a day or so till I can clear it again.

You have a good eye to see that typo from a resized screenshot. ;)

The way the GSS GUI starts, well lets just say it has never been done before. Not that it really matters THAT much, it's not really a feature the end user can see afterall, but malware will be unable to unwind the GUI protection since it isn't stored anywhere. :)

In regards to running another executable, I sort of like that idea. In a geeky sort of way. I'm not sure how applicable it will be to the next RegDefend build, since you will be able to effectively stop stuff before any visual program can load. Might be more effective simply doing a rule or two in RD then rebooting.

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Will the Ghost Security banner also appear on those XP machines which require the users to press Crtl-Alt-Enter to bring up the login screen? Will it appear before the login screen or before you press Crtl-Alt-Enter?

19. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

It appears on all logon screens, at least on all the machines tested so far before anything else is shown. Basically it (along with the ghosts) is the first thing you see.

20. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Hi Jason

Whould that make me a better ALPHA tester ? ;)

I'll send you a msg about that.
    However it was wondering if you have any list of known issue or feature that are more likely to go wrong. This would help all alpha tester and provide some news of progress for those waiting ... it's been quite a long time sine the last ... "It's just around the corner"

May it be more effective, It's alot less fun and less versatile too.
    I'd really love to see GSS have some discovery capability to complement prevention. Eg: regedit clone that read information from kernel / explorer.
    I know tools like Iceword does exactly that but somehow trust more ghost security. Moreover a good discovery freware can be a effective marketing tool for the protection modules.

Nice to know ... yet many application can fool around with welcome screen.
    Panda antivirus is another of them. I'm pretty sure your path to acheive this is pretty unique however

Unfortunately for you, your user base still contain a good percentage of geek (anywais i beleive so, am i wrong ?). So it does matter ;)

Does that sound like a challenge ? ;)
    Well it must be at least _Somewhere_ in memory.
    If it use at least one window API then it's reachable isnt it ?

What do you means by isn't stored anywhere ?
    No drawn on any desktop ?
    No process handle ?
    Direct connection to video hardware à la softice ?
    I any case it'll be fun to test behavior rootkit detecter against it.

If it's nowhere then it may be a good news to protect against hacker.
    And if things goes well maybee one day we'll see GSS without armadillo.

In any way, Good work Jason it surely llok interesting ... can't wait to test ALPHA version.

21. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Yeah quite a applications these days do something to the login screen. It is just the method that I do it which is unique. :)

I simply meant that the way the GUI alerts initialize cannot be disabled _unless_ the driver is also removed. Currently there isn't much in the way of driver protection (will add more when it becomes necessary) so there is still a way to stop GSS altogether by disabling the driver from an admin account. I am also thinking of adding further "windows" protection for the alerts so they cannot be altered by anyone.

Most programs add registry keys/values or change config files to achieve their "initialization" whereas the GSS driver handles that for RD/AD. Unlike other security programs there are no "extra" processes needed to handle alerts or different user accounts with the next builds. If you look in task manager in the Alpha build you will see no change at all (compared to not having GSS on your system) unless you are also running the gss.exe (logging and configuring) application.

If you take a look at a firewall product or even something like ProcessGuard they have 2 extra processes (3 if you include the configuration/logger) dedicated to even a single user setup. GSS will have none.

22. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Thank you very much for clarification.

You have well choosed your compagny slogan:
    Transparent protection for your computer.
    Especially now that there is no process for alerts.

The driver is able to draw windows ?
    Or force a core window process of drawing it ?
    Oh well the best guess is just wait and see and test ;)

Should i have to understand by this sentence that alpha is already released or i missed something ?

I wish you the best

23. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Alpha hasn't been released yet. I just meant when it *is* released. ;)

24. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi Jason, any other screenies available I mean screenies from the program itself (control panel, ...) ? just a q...

25. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Not just yet, but soon. Maybe the weekend will bring some more goodies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.