Migrating to new hardware-MOBO

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bearcat245, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bearcat245

bearcat245 Registered Member

I am going to replace my motherboard with a different brand and BIOS.
    According to FAQ I can do this, but I am a little confused.
    Do I have to use the Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) to reload my image?
    If yes, do I use the "mini" command?

I want to do this a painlessly as possible and let Acronis do all the work.
    Only the Motherboard/BIOS is different. Everyting else is the same hardware.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Yes, it is like reloading the image to another system. But I can't help with the actual procedure other than you need to use SysPrep.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

4. bearcat245

Thanks for the information.
    I know I tried this once, but it was so messed up I had to do a complete reload.
    My system is completely backed up and ready for the completely new board, but I need to read your link.

Followup.....I had to make a slipstream copy of my XP CD. It was originally XP pro upgrade with SP1. I needed SP2.
    My last install to a new Western Digital Raptor 150GB would fail. I thought it was due to going over 127GB in SP1, but the slipsteam version did work.

When I did try the SysPrep, the install acted like a complete reinsatll and I had to reinstall all my applications.
    I want to avoid this. The link information states if the board is not OEM to the one it replaces then the installation is going to fail.
    So does this mean even though I have a good backup, I can't reinstall my system with Applications with Acronis?
    The information about Acronis in this latest version made it seem like I should be able to do this with "different hardware".
    Does that not included motherboards?

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  5. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

Here is another link, just for the above change.

http://computervitals.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2369

If you are only replacing the motherboard and you are keeping the hard disk, I cannot see where TI comes into the operation as all your information is still on the HD, including your OS.

6. bearcat245

Ok, this information looks easy enough.
    Normal precautions are in place and will try ASAP. (Acronis Zone backup of everything on seperate internal HDD and again on a USB External HDD....never safe enough!)
    The new motherboard arrives tonight.
    I am going from ASUS A8N-SLI Premium to a DFI LAN PARTY UF Expert. Their BIOS are completely different and that was a concern.
    Thanks for the information.:)

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bearcat245,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Besides of the recommendations posted above, I would also like to mention that even in case of using Microsoft System Preparation tool (sysprep) we cannot guarantee the successful transferring of the operating system to a computer with the hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. The point is that sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base, articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. bearcat245

I already own both products mentioned.
    I was able to move from one motherboard to another brand using only the MS application.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.