Can not parition, Disk Director will not do anything....Operation terminated by user?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Major_Disaster, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major_Disaster

Major_Disaster Registered Member

Hello,

Ive got a Boxed version Acronis Disk Director installled. I have registered it and ipdated it.

I try to parition my C Drive and it goes through all the options, reboots, does its thing in the blue screen before windows loads, reboots as it would and then when windows loads it hasnt done anything! No changes to C drive.

Ive checked my log and everything i try to do comes up with

<event code="3" id="5" message="Operation terminated by user." module="100" time="1147718888" type="3" />

I havent terminated anything! How could i? I mean once it reboots its all automatic, theres no "cancel" button in the blue screen!

(sorry in random format, but thats the saved version of the log file).

Any ideas?

2. Major_Disaster

Re: Can not parition, Disk Director will not do anything....Operation terminated by u

Wow, great response....

Posted three topics asking for help and no reply, not too impressive.

Being a customer who has bought both Disk Director and True Image i dont think after sales service is the best it could be.

True image is great, but as for Disk Director, not only is it not a bootable disk (as it falsely states on the disk) but also it doesnt even do anything! I go to parition, or whatever, reboot, and then... nothing. Hmmm... not th best by any means.

Now if anyone could offer some help i would be very grateful.

3. ssj152

ssj152 Registered Member

Re: Can not parition, Disk Director will not do anything....Operation terminated by u

Well, something is definitely wrong, because the disk is supposed to be bootable; mine is. I bought the download version and used the media builder to create my disk. I also have TrueImage, so I put it on the disk as well.

Have you checked your BIOS settings to make the CDRom 1st in the boot order? I suggest CDRom 1st and Hard disk 2nd. I do not allow floppy boot by default. My bios allows me to select an alternate boot device by hitting ESC during POST and selecting from a menu of all devices. Many motherboards made in the last few years do this - yours may as well.

If you can't get your (retail) CD to work, try media builder (either from TI or DD) and see if that disk will boot.

I'll watch for more posts from you to see how you make out.

Stuart

4. Major_Disaster

Hello Stuart thanks for the response.

Yes, well the wierd thing is i have both Acronis True Image and Acronis Disk Director retial versions and the True Image disk is bootable, but the Disk Director one is not (even though both have written on the disks "Bootable CD").

I have done the media builder for Disk Director and that worked (thanks) but i would like to have it working as it was advertised - ie the original disk bootable. Can i burn the bootable disk image to the original Disk Director CD and make it bootable, or will this corrupt the other data on the CD?

5. ssj152

ssj152 Registered Member

Writing to the original disk is doubtful; it would have to be an ordinary CDR that was not finalized for that to work. I suggest sending a problem report to Acronis and request that they replace the disk. I would think that this problem would be considered an original defect and fall under warranty support. It certainly won't hurt to ask them!

I use a CDR/W disk to hold both TI and DD. When I use the image builder I select everything - both products and all options.

With a CDR/W disk I have to erase it before rewriting it and it is a little slower (4X versus 40X+) to write, but both products with all of their options still don't come close to filling the disk. It only takes about 10 minutes to do the erase and write cycle. I got tired of the expense and confusion of having 25+ disks of various Acronis products laying around.

I DO wish I had (.png or .jpg) scans of the TI and DD factory disks so that I could make a nice label for my CDR/W - all of my products were bought before you could get them retail and Acronis hasn't posted any disk label art that I am aware of. How about it Acronis??

Stuart

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

In the TI forum, you'll see a similar thread on the boxed CD purchases - looks like the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. :)

Acronis have said that the CD's should be bootable but a cockup meant that they haven't been manufactured as such at the moment.

Colin

7. anatol

anatol Registered Member

Hello, I have exactly the same problem, any solution yet?

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Yes, make your own using the Bootable Rescue Media Builder option - of course that is a nuisance, but at the moment that is the only option.

Colin

9. anatol

anatol Registered Member

Sorry, didn´t mean the boot problem, as I have bought my version online as download... but the partioning problem...

right now I have another problem, just to know that in case everything works fine I tried to boot my created cd... after booting and selecting disk director with all drivers the system hangs up and does nothing... any idea?

10. dtm3dd

dtm3dd Registered Member

Same partition problem any help...... anyone??

11. rogerq

rogerq Registered Member

I have the same problem. I made a bootable cd and placed Truimage and Disk Director on it in both versions(full and safe).

Of the four options, both in Trueimage work. Only the safe mode in Disk Director works. When I select the full version of Disk Director, I get an error message containing a bunch of memory locations, etc and kernel panic: attempted to kill the idle task! I idle task - not syncing.

the system then hangs, have to do a power reset.

The only response that I've gotten from support was that I must have a corrupted disk. Try again. I've now written this disk on two differnce recorders with new media and still have the same problem.

I sent the entire error message to support and am waiting for their feed back.

12. juergenB

juergenB Registered Member

I have the same problem. €49 for a programm that does nothing.

13. ssj152

ssj152 Registered Member

Roger,

To get the full versions to work try this: when the disk boots to the menu, press F11. Add ACPI=OFF to the boot parameters line (the one that says QUIET). Select DD or TI full product and see if that gets you working. I have a machine I have to do this with.

I also have a machine running SUSE Linux that I had to do this with in order to get it through the SUSE installation.

I can't say that the Acronis programs are perfect but I like them a lot and use them frequently. As a retired programmer of 25+ years, I am pretty picky about what software I like and use.

Let me know if this helps.

Stuart

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response and for the current inconvenience.

Actually, the boxed versions which you purchase directly from us (from Acronis Online Store) contain non-bootable CD. This CD has only the installation package of the software. The boxed versions which are distributed by our retail outlets contain the CD which is bootable and has the installation package too.

If you would like to replace the CD which has to be bootable and is not bootable for some reason (damaged during shipping, etc.) then please submit a request for technical support. Attach the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Regarding the issue with Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 used within Windows, please do the following:

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

15. presrc

presrc Registered Member

rogerq, I have the exact same problem. Did you ever resolve it?

16. tucsonalama

tucsonalama Registered Member

FIXED! ACRONIS 1 FORUM 0 :D

Synopsis:
    Read forum, got upset, emailed support, support responded within 8 hours, followed instructions, desired outcome achieved.

At this point I can say that I am quite pleased with the product and the support. Though they needed to have inteli point drivers installed for my mouse to work.

Here are the instructions I received:

"We recommend you to install the SnapAPI update which may eliminate the problem.

Please install the below update with disabled logging and see whether the problem persists: http://download.acronis.com/support/SnapAPI_l_s_e.zip

SnapAPI program has easy-to-use Windows interface and wizard.
    On the first screen you will be offered to "Repair/Upgrade" or to "Uninstall Acronis drivers". Please choose "Repair/Upgrade".
    On the next screen you will see two commands - "Disable logging" and "Enable logging". Please choose "Disable logging".

If the issue persists please try to perform the same operation using Acronis Bootable Media.

We are always at your service should you have any further questions."

17. Dubinvero

Dubinvero Registered Member

Not to be negative but this thread was started on May 15, 2006. Acronis support finally came up with the solution on February 14, 2007.

I could not wait and purchased another product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.