memory usage for avgnt.exe

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by shek, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shek

shek Registered Member

Does anyone notice the huge memory usage increase for avgnt.exe after antivir 7 was updated to build 151 yesterday?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2006
  2. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

This looks indeed strange, I will get this investigated.

3. shek

shek Registered Member

Thank for your quick response.

my system is winxp pro sp2.

I tried to uninstall it, reboot the system, clean the registry and reinstall the build 151 downloaded from free-av.com. But it didn't help.

However, there is no slowdown so far.

4. broken

broken Registered Member

I have a similar issue as well, plus avnotify.exe uses half of my CPU.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  5. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Using double the memory here it normaly does(from 20 MB to 40 MB :doubt: )

Good thing they have a rep here always waiting to help :thumb:

Alphalutra1

6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Have uploaded a screenshot of Task Manager, WinXP Pro (SP2) with build 151

[​IMG]

edited to reflect Task Manager with AntiVir open and just following a Scan of System:

On image size, should they be 800px in width? Now I have removed that image and uploaded a current image and I can not see where or how to 'Resize' it.
    (these are Alt/PrintScreen saved to MS Photo

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2006
  7. john_us350

john_us350 Registered Member

hey man.i have the same problem......why it takes too much ram.......o_O?

8. pilotart

Friday's Update modified 40+ files in my AntiVir Folder and this was when this change in RAM use was first seen.

Stefan Kurtzhals, our resident AV Expert said he "will get this investigated.":cool:

This would not happen over Saturday/Sunday and you can hope for an answer to your question during the upcoming week.

Other than AntiVir users confirming this huge increase in RAM use, there does not seem to be any problem due to it,
    or are you experiencing a problem? How much RAM do you have on your system?

The
    would be unrelated to this and looks like it has been solved {HERE} by AntiVir's "Gold Moderator, Leo 2005" {this weekend} to be caused by Trojans and Adware.:D

If this use of RAM is causing problems for you and is not found to be an AntiVir Program Anomoly,
    you may have to deal with it by increase of RAM or change of Antivirus Program.

RAM is very cheap to buy now and if you are running WinXP on less than 768MB,
    you will see great benefit from an increase beyond AntiVir. :thumb:
    Use caution in shopping to get quality memory that is fully compatable with your system.

Should you choose to change your Antivirus Program from AntiVir, follow ALL the recommendations for proper removal first, nothing worse than trying to install new AV Program on top of remenants and left-over registry keys from the old AV. For 'Trial' use (highly recommended) of a New AV, first create a System Backup to insure easy removal, should you not like the new AV you are trying. You have no doubt read about how any Particular "Excellent" AV Program will not be good on someone's system.

Link to: Free 12-month software subscription to CA's eTrust EZ Antivirus.

The above is likely the Antivirus Program that uses the least of your RAM, 21,112K with "RealTime & Email" Protection running.
    Its Detection Scores do not come close to AntiVir's but I see no problems running it on 'Her' System
    along with WinXP Firewall, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware.

Online Scans with EWIDO and Kasperski always show clean. :) Sandboxie would give you additional protection.

EZ-Trust's "Two Year" subscription offer for $19.95 is a good deal, if you shop around, you might find Norton, McAffee
    or another, cheaper (by rebate) but will see an increase in "System Drag" compared to AntiVir.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  9. john_us350

pilotart......u give a nice speech.....u guys always try to say that 20mb more memory is not matter.but i wanna say that it's a matter if u running sql server 2005 + VS 2005.net in ur system.i have 1 gb RAM, well if this condition of antivir will continue then i have to choose NOD32.coz nod use only 18mb of memory...if antivir company fix the problem then i will go with them.............dont forget that we people choose third party antivirus bcoz they r free and low resource hog......if they bcom take resource like norton/mcafee then why people will use thiso_O

10. Unity

Unity Registered Member

It's obviously a bug , just wait for a fix.

11. pilotart

'..nice speech..' [too bad you did not read it] ".....u guys always try to say that 20mb more memory is not matter. "
    [where did I say that!]>>>...this huge increase in RAM... are you experiencing a problem?

'...r free and low resource hog......if they bcom take resource like norton/mcafee then why people will use this ...

[I used Norton for many years (was better for me than McAfee) and both produce fine software.]
    Norton is far less of a resource drag today than in the past. Shop and you can find them very low cost!]

If AntiVir is causing problems for you, you need to tell what the problems are as well as what system you are running it on.

If you are just posting to troll AntiVir and spam NOD32.coz, then you should not.

My backup is a 1997 Dell Latitude Portable, with a P1/133MHz system running on an October 1998 load of Win98
    maxed out with 71MB of RAM. (plus 1MB for Video System)

When I run software that calls for a minimum of P2+, 98SE+ and 128MB+ of RAM; It can seem a little slow,
    but it is MUCH FASTER with AntiVir than it was before.

The current Update to build 151 has not slowed this system one bit, so what is Your Problemo_O?

12. broken

broken Registered Member

I'm quite positive trojans or adware are not the issue, however he seems suspicous of IE7 so I might uninstall that to see if it resolves the issue. Thanks for the link.

As for the memory, I'll wait patiently until that's fixed.

13. john_us350

if i wanna spam here then why should i pick the problem in antivir...?..u can say it if i pick any irrelevent issue but that i dont do.i just say my problem as we all know the current av-comparisons.antivir is in advance+ position as weel as nod .so those product dont need advertising.
    if i spamming then what u r doing for nortono_O plz keep u r mind clear then respect others....we come here to raise our problem but not for spamming....bye

14. waters

waters Registered Member

Mine is now useing 3,184k.

15. waters

waters Registered Member

Just updated and its gone up again

16. pilotart

Please accept my apology for thinking you were 'spaming' and respect since you are not.

It was (and still is) impossible to tell if you were having a problem with your AntiVir beyond noting the recent huge increase in avgnt's RAM use.

I trust that AntiVir is not causing any problems with the function of your system.

I hope that AntiVir will continue to do a good job for you and that you soon get an answer to your question about this increase in RAM.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

My (just Updated) avgnt.exe is holding at 22,484K with a 'peak' of 22,604K, a little less than the screenshot above.

17. john_us350

thanks pilotart for ur reply........as waters said i should update my antivir

18. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Two AntiVir processes take too much memory and swap file on my machine too, these amount close to BitDefender (but BitDefender is so slow with both on-demand/on-access scanner compared to AntiVir, AVG, avast! on my machine), while avast! and AVG take about 12-20 MB.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  19. Stefan Kurtzhals

The last update should fix the memory problem of avgnt.exe / avgctrl.exe.

20. pilotart

Yesterday's Update (six files) fixed the more serious problem of:

"...using 99% CPU time and the notifier window not appearing as it normally does."

I had never seen the above (avnotify denied in my security).

Still showing high RAM on avgnt.

Now the servers are down as Avira is working on a new fix.

21. Stefan Kurtzhals

There was a problem with the update servers this morning, we had to disable them for a while and currently there are only new VDF files and not the fixes available.

22. ardvark

ardvark Registered Member

While the attention you gave to the problem was appreciated, for myself, it's a case of too little, too late. On top of high RAM usage on my system, it seems you guys have been able to find a way to bypass the hash rules set up to deter the infamous avnotify.exe. Enough is enough.:mad:

Free should mean free. I don't need buggy nagware installed on my machine so I've uninstalled it for something different. However, I look forward to seeing your product again when you've managed to improve and refine it.

Best Regards...

23. Stefan Kurtzhals

avnotify.exe was updated - of course! there was a nasty 100% cpu usage bug that got fixed. the hash of it doesn't change that often. ;-)

24. shek

shek Registered Member

25. pilotart

"...
    Just a new avnotify file, needs a new 'hashrule', Firewall will ask about it.

Noticed this time that the "NagScreen" went away on its own befoe I even had a chance to read it. :)

Mine just Updated at 1930 GMT, avrep & 3vdf (177364Bytes), still showing 22,728K on avgnt and all is working fine.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.