Differential backups - why so big a file?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by martinlest, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinlest

martinlest Registered Member

Just wondering why my differential backup files are so big! I made a full backup of my C Drive a couple of days ago (come to 7 GBs) and have just made a differential backup - which is 1.5GBs.

Is that normal? I haven't added anywhere near that amount of data to my drive - just made a few tweaks to the setup. Is it possible to see what the differential backup alone contains and get an idea why it is so large? (If I explore the image, I think I get to see what is contained in the full backup tib file as well as the differential one, no?).

Martin

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I’ll have to assume you’re running Windows.
    Since TI backups up “in use” sectors, files do not have to change to be included in a DIFF, only moved. Windows does this in the background (BootOptimizeFunction) as well as creating/deleting System Restore Points. Any/all of this can result in a large than expected DIFF/INC file.

3. martinlest

martinlest Registered Member

Yes XP. OK, so be it. Thank you for the reply.

Martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.