Bootable Antivirus CD?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Comp01, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Anyone know of a good bootable Antivirus CD that can read/write NTFS? (Prefferably Linux based.)

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

The main issue with linux based CDs is their fudged support for writing NTFS partitions. Personaly, I wouldn't touch NTFS write support under linux with a 10 foot barge poll as you're asking for trouble (it's still EXPERIMENTAL in the kernel).

Would be fine for detection only, or for read/write on fat32 :thumb:

Ned

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The BitDefender 9 installation CD is a bootable CD using the Linux envirnoment.

5. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

You could try BART PE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

It will allow you to boot from CD into a windows environment (pre-environment) where you can run all sorts of plug-ins, including the McAfee free command line scanner (with a GUI), McAfee stinger and other useful tools like Ewido free scanner and Adaware SE, to name but a few.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

BartPE with McAfee Console scanner. Kaspersky AV 6 also has option to make a bootable CD.

7. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

AVG also has a rescue cd in beta

9. moonforest

moonforest Registered Member

Softwin present their Linux based antivirus bootable cd named Linuxdefender .

BitDefender Linux Edition.

The freeware antivirus scanner included in LinuxDefender Live! CD is integrated directly into KDE, the default desktop in LinuxDefender Live!

A complete list of official download locations is available at: http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/mirrors.php

10. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Used the Avast one before, didn't know Dr Web had one out, trying it atm, sweet little interface. :)

11. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

linuxdefender
    avast
    bartpe(imho the very best)

12. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Just a word of caution about BartPE (or any other "home-grown" solutions): for detection, it's probably OK (with external tools like the McAfee Stinger etc).

However, for cleaning, it's generally no good. The reason is, cleaning usually involves many other things, such as registry cleanup, association removal, removal of startup entries etc.

Hence, if you don't use a cleaner *specfically* created to run in this (non-host-OS) environment, you may actually end up with a completely unbootable machine.

13. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Can BartPE be used with Dr.Web CureIT?

14. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

Hi Vlk

So even Plugins writen for McAfee & Avast are not worth using to remove malware while booting from the Bart PE disc, only detecting where they are installed?

15. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Last time I checked, it was exactly like this.

I mean, if the antivirus was not specifically created to be aware of the fact that it needs e.g. to load and manipulate registry hives stored on the disk, how could it know? In fact, it's quite a complicated thing, and needs a lot of extra processing.

That's why I think that specialized bootable AV solutions can NOT be substituted by home-grown products.

Cheers
    Vlk

16. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

While I do not doubt the lesser detection rates since the registry is not scanned, the scanners do still remove a good deal of ad/malware. Safe mode is still the obvious recommended mode for removal of course, but it's good to know you have a boot cd just in case the need arises.

I can't think of a time where I couldn't boot into safe mode, but I suppose if that ever came up, a boot cd would pretty much be your only option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.