Recommended Firewall

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Ptah, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Is there a recommended firewall that works best w/ nod32? If not what other firewalls should I look at to run along side of Nod?

Thanks,

Ptah

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. thedon57

thedon57 Registered Member

I use windows own firewall along with defender they both work well with nod32

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    My router!
    I leave the Windows XP firewall on....doesn't hurt anything, doesn't bog down anything...not really needed since I'm behind a router, but it's harmless and causes no issues.

5. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and it seems to work fine with NOD on my computer. I do think it slows down my startup times a bit however. I am behind a router and mostly use it for outbound app control. Well, ok, I also really like ZoneAlarm's little red and green activity/traffic indicator. I like seeing that something is happening with my connection.

I think the next version of NOD is supposed to include a firewall. I hope that will work better for me than ZoneAlarm.

You should try out different firewalls and see which works best for you.

6. MrTimmy

MrTimmy Registered Member

I never had any compatibility problems with Sunbelt Software's Kerio Personal Firewall. It works well with Nod32. I, too, am looking forward to seeing if Nod's upcoming built in Firewall will be true to ESET form--slim, trim, and effective.

7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Been using the same firewall with no problems either.

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The CHX-I works great with NOD32...

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I second that

Alphalutra1

10. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

I'm not aware of any firewall that has a problem working alongside NOD32.
    I currently use Outpost Pro with NOD on one computer and NetVeda Safetynet with NOD on another.

11. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I don't use anything but ZoneAlarm Pro or simply Windows XP SP2 firewall enabled. On all my computers and computers that I set up for friends or family I recommend the latest ZoneAlarm Pro and as of this posting it is ZAP version 6.1.744.001 which seems to be very stable and efficient. The new versions of ZAP have an OS Firewall which protects your Windows system files, settings, and critical programs. For most other systems I simply recommend SP2 firewall enabled since configuring and using ZAP can seem complicated for many pure novice users.

I recently have been testing NOD32 for Windows XP on different systems that are also using ZAP firewall and I am very impressed so far with what I have seen. NOD32 seems to be a good match with ZAP. I would recommend also adding the free programs SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster, and MS Antispyware beta. I also like the paid antispyware applications such as Spy Sweeper 4.5 (good all round AS software, especially against rootkits) and McAfee Antispyware v2 (which is known to be good against keyloggers and trojans). This might seem like too much but realize that for almost two years I have not seen spyware or adware infect any system (out of more than 10 different systems) that I have installed most of these programs on including ZAP.

I did not have any problems installing NOD32 with ZAP but you might want to check with other users here first since you might need to temporarily disable the OSFirewall (which likes to block AV program system changes) or temporarily disable ZAP at startup before you install NOD32 then re-enable ZAP after a successful NOD32 install. The only other thing I might recommend about ZAP is to be careful doing any upgrades from a previous version of ZAP since this has been more of a problem lately in version 6.x releases. Read the ZoneLabs user support forums first for more information about helpful tips and instructions regarding ZAP uninstall and upgrade installation.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I use Windows Firewall only on my main computer which is with Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    I have another computer which is with XP SP1 and on it I use NOD32+Zone Alarm free with no problems. < :cool:Stealth mode of ZA :cool: >

Regards :rolleyes:

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Using Nod32 with Outpost 3.51 here and they seem to work well together. No problems at all.

14. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I had used Zone alarm free for a while. I would loose my DSL connection if the computer was idle for about an hour or so. I now use LooknStop. Works great.

15. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I am using ZoneAlarm Antispyware (ZAAS) with NOD32. They compliment each other very well. ZAAS includes most of the advanced features of ZA Pro but costs significantly less- if you buy it from the trial version it is only $20.

I also tried Sunbelt's Kerio, but it blue screened too often.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

And why not just have it for for free and for cheap .

Windows Firewall is just great !
    NOD32 will and always clean all infections so there is no need of outgoing filter. I also have NAT/router .

:)

[MOVE] NOD32 [/MOVE]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.