how do i switch hard drives?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by thebigdintx, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

Hello. I have a dell dimension 3000 running windows xp sp2. I am using Acronis T.I. version 9.2337. I have an internal 40GB hard drive, and an 80 GB external USB drive(hard drive in an enclosure). I have my full disc images stored in a file on the external drive. I want to switch drives, putting the 80 GB inside the computer, and wipe the 40GB one clean to use as the external drive for storage. Can someone explain the best way to do this please?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You will need to use the bootable TI Rescue CD to do part of this.

1. Copy the images from the 80 gig to a folder on the 40 gig - use Windows Explorer.
    2. Swap around the drives.
    3. Boot with the TI CD and choose the Restore feature to Restore your backup image to the 80 gig.

Test that the 80 gig will boot before wiping the 40 gig.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Can't op just use MigrateEasy? If thats still part of TI. It'd be much easier.

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Don't know .. never used MEasy. But it sounds as if that might work. If its process wipes the original before allowing a test of the "new" drive, I would be wary though.

5. thebigdintx

Thank you. More questions though...

(1)When I do a restore of the 40GB disk image, I do a full restore of the whole disk image first, then do another one only selecting my only partition and use the size slider to fill the whole 80GB of the new disc correct?

(2)I imagine I should do all this first, and then connect the external hard drive with the original 40GB drive in it now. Will there be any problems because the full image will be on both the 80GB one internally and on the 40GB one hooked up externally at the same time?

(3)To wipe the 40GB drive clean in the external inclosure, I would just right click it in my computer, and format it correct?

(4)Rather than transferring one of my images from the 80GB external to the 40GB internal to use after I switch them, couldn't I just create a new image onto my currently internal 40GB hard drive to use(thereby avoiding any problems possible created by transferring the image over usb?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  6. dld

dld Registered Member

thebigdintx.. IMHO it would be much simpler to simply clone your source (40GB C drive) to the target (80 GB USB drive) choosing to expand the existing partition to fill the target drive (otherwise you will end up with unallocated space), disconnect the source drive before rebooting (so as not to confuse Windows as to which is the C drive) and install the 80 GB drive as Master. You could then install the 40 GB drive in your USB external enclosure and reformat it.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yup dld thats what I meant. AME is easier than ATI.

8. thebigdintx

That sounds a little easier. After it's done cloning the 40GB to the 80GB isn't the computer going to restart or something? I don't want it to try and start with the 40GB and the 80GB both hooked up still with the same image on both of them and mess the computer up. Do I just force a shutdown by holding in the power button as it trys to restart or something so that I can switch the drives?

9. thebigdintx

I don't have migrate easy though......i only have Acronis True Image.

10. dld

dld Registered Member

The cloning feature is part of Acronis True Image which is what you have! Once the cloning is finished, you can turn off your computer, disconnect the 40GB drive and replace it with the 80 GB drive which will now be the Master, then reboot your computer. At no time will Window see two C drives on booting. If you're not happy with the results you can always reinstall your 40 GB drive and you're back to square one.

11. thebigdintx

ok,,,,i'm getting close to giving it a try, however, is there going to be any problems with the computer recognizing the new(different brand) drive? do i have to do anything in the device manager or bios?

12. dld

dld Registered Member

There shouldn't be any problem re: your computer recognizing the different brand drive especially if they are both IDE type drives. In cloning your MBR is automatically copied. Just make sure you choose to expand the existing partition on your source drive to fill the target drive. Remember that all of this can be undone if you're not happy with the results. Remember also that in the future you will be imaging an 80 GB drive to a 40 GB USB drive. Just make sure your image is not too large for the drive. If at all possible, I feel it would be better if the 40 GB were installed as slave. It makes imaging about twice as fast.

13. thebigdintx

ok thanks for all the help,,,,i've run out of time for today, but i will try the clone and hard drive swap tomorrow morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.