Automatically renaming scheduled backups with verification

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shieber, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It seems that if verify-after-backup is set and a post-backup command is set up for a scheduled task, the post-backup command is run before the verify operation -- the order appears to be backup -postbackup command-verify. I wish it could be set so that the post-backup command runs after the verify.

I want to use a command to rename the backup file with a name that has the day's date as part of the name string -- I have the command file that does that, but the command file is run and the rename attempted before the verify occurs -- result is that the rename fails and the verify works. I'd like to be able to verify and THEN have the rename command file run. Any ideas folks?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello shieber,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As far as I can understand, the issue is that when a scheduled tasks is performed the resulting image archive is not being renamed by the respective post-backup command if the check box near the "Validate backup archive upon it's creation competition" option is checked in the Backup Archive Creation Options. Is this correct?

Can you confirm that your post-backup command works correctly if the "Validate backup archive upon it's creation competition" option is unchecked in the Backup Archive Creation Options?

Please also provide us with the following information:

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- Provide the exact text of your post-backup command;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. shieber

Yes. If Validate after backup is checked, the post-cammand can't rename the file (presumably because TI still has it open so the post command can't access the already open file). If Validate is not checked then the post command works -- but, of course you don't atuomatically get a verify. Moreover, if the rename did occur before the verify, then werify wouldn't be able to find the file. If verify ran before the post command, then the file could be checked and then renamed.

Version 9.0 Home 3567 on XP pro. The backup is made to E:\mybackup.tib and the system drive is C:

The post-command set the working directory to E:\ and calls a batch file with this:

C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c rename-file.bat

the batch file contains:

set Day=%Date:~4,2%
    if not exist mybackup.tib goto notthere
    :delfile
    if exist mybackup_%Day%.tib del mybackup_%Day%.tib
    ren mybackup.tib mybackup_%Day%.tib
    :notthere
    exit

4. Acronis Support

Hello shieber,

Thank you very much for all the provided information. I've forwarded this issue to the respective person and he will take care of it as soon as possible. We will inform you about the results as soon we will receive a reply.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. Acronis Support

Hello shieber,

We need additional information in order to proceed with the investigation of this issue.

Could you please reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 Home log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please send us a Private Message containing the log file collected along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. shieber

Good grief, this shakes my confidence. Are you sure your tech is familiar with Acronis True Image? Nothing is going to show in the log. Acronis is behaving normally, it runs the backup,m then the post-command, then it runs the verify. That's the problem, one can't tell it to run commands AFTER THE VERIFY. I'll send the log but the tech is barking up the wrong key. the problem is the order. If the rename occurs before the verify and succeeds, thent he verify would fail because it wouldn't have the right filename.

The key here is to allow commands to run after the backup AND the verify.

7. yesyes

yesyes Registered Member

Whoa, they really don't have a clue as to what is happening uh?

This should be EXTREMELY easy to reproduce by Acronis and simply patch their stuff.

Chances are they left the file handle open so the file is in use and locked, so the post command is not able to rename the file as it is in USE!!!!

I like the product a LOT, but I am starting to wonder about our next upgrade/purchase after seeing/witnessing some really dumb bugs/errors/typos and the quality (or lack there of) of the testing done before releasing the product. It is almost like if EVERY 'gold' release, is just another BETA, waiting for the users to find the bugs or, worse yet, lose their precious data!!

8. Acronis Support

Hello shieber and yesyes,

Actually, I do understand what the issue is. Moreover, we've tested it thoroughly and was unable to reproduce the problem shieber has complained about. Therefore I'll try to explain things in a simpler manner:

I. As shieber has already noticed, the current order of performing the operations is as follows:

1. Backup archive creation

2. Post-backup command execution

3. Backup archive validation

II. We do have customers complaining about the inability to auto-validate backups because they are renamed by the post-backup commands.

III. shieber is the first person complaining about the inability to use post-backup command renaming the archive created if the "Validate backup archive upon it's creation competition" option is turned on in the Backup Archive Creation Options. That's what the issue is about if I understood what shieber said correctly.

Please be aware that we do not have plans to change the order of performing the operations mentioned above. However, we do have plans to implement an option allowing one to select whether to perform post-backup commands before or after the automatic image archive validation.

shieber, could you please do the following?

- Download this batch file;

- Edit the file in Notepad or another word processor;

- Follow the instructions provided in the file to modify its contents;

- Use Acronis True Image pre/post commands or Windows Scheduler Task Manager (in Windows XP: Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks -> Add Scheduled Task) to run the batch file before the backup process starts or after it is finished (thus, either renaming the previous backup or the newly created one);

- Let us know if your post-backup command still does not execute when the "Validate backup archive upon it's creation competition" option is turned on in the Backup Archive Creation Options (in fact, there should be an error in the log stating that the validation process failed).

P.S. I used the following batch file on my workstation (Windows XP Professional, Acronis True Image 9.0 Home build 3567):

for /f "Tokens=2-4 Delims=/ " %%a in ('date /t') do set mm=%%a&set dd=%%b&set yy=%%c
    cd /d c:\tmp
    if exist test_rename.tib rename test_rename.tib %yy%%mm%%dd%.tib

This batch file is named 2.bat, placed in the root directory on the C: drive and is being executed by the following post-backup command: C:\2.bat

Working directory is set to C:\

As a result, when I create a backup named test_rename.tib and save it to the folder C:\Tmp it is being automatically renamed according to the current date independently of whether "Validate backup archive upon it's creation competition" option is turned on or off.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. jamiep0143

jamiep0143 Registered Member

Renaming Mulitple backup images automatically

I know somewhere I saw a post abut renaming an image based on the date. But how do you do it if they are called MyBackup1.tib Mybackup2.tib etc? The one I saw I tried and it doesn;t seem to work. I am trying do this on a network storage device. It creates the image correctly but does not rename it.
    Jim Pokerwinski

10. jamiep0143

I can not get this example to work. I hav mulitple images ie MyBackup1.tib etc I hav trid everything. I have a NAS connctd to th network that I want to stor th images to but the batch files I trid do not work. Can you help ?
    Jim Pokerwinski

11. Acronis Support

Hello jamiep0143,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- What operating system do you use?

- What are the exact vendor and model of the NAS device you save the resulting backups to?

- Are you able to rename files located on this NAS device using Windows Explorer or any other file manager?

- Describe your network structure in more details;

- Provide the exact text of the batch files that you tried to use for automatically renaming backups;

- What do you mean exactly when saying that the batch files you tried "do not work"?

- Do you receive any error, warning or informational massages? What exact messages do you receive? When exactly do you receive them?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. jamiep0143

Alexey,
    See my responses

What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image do you use?
    ********True Image 9.0 build 3677

- What operating system do you use?

**** Windows Xp Pro Sp2

- What are the exact vendor and model of the NAS device you save the resulting backups to?

****** Triton NAS - not sure of the model

- Are you able to rename files located on this NAS device using Windows Explorer or any other file manager?

*********** I am able to rename them just like any other file
    - Describe your network structure in more details;

*************The NAS in connected via ethernet to a hub in which all devices can access it. Simple structure

- Provide the exact text of the batch files that you tried to use for automatically renaming backups;

************I used the batch files that were posted on here

- What do you mean exactly when saying that the batch files you tried "do not work"?

***** just that. The images are created but the image files ( multiple) do not get renamed

- Do you receive any error, warning or informational massages? What exact messages do you receive? When exactly do you receive them?

******** I get no messages at all. In fact the back up is successful . I 'tested' the batch file and it worked but not as a post command

13. Acronis Support

Hello Jim,

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please follow the instructions provided in the Acronis Public Knowledge Base article named Automatically Renaming Image Archives. This article has just been released and contains the detailed instructions on how to automatically rename backups by means of the pre\post-backup commands.

If you are still unable to perform the desired actions then please submit a request for technical support containing the following information along with the link to this thread.

- Reproduce the problem, i.e. create a backup saving it to the NAS, wait until the post-backup command will fail and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Try saving backups to any local hard drive so that the network is not involved (edit the batch file accordingly) and let us know if the problem persists;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step (make screen shots of all your steps, if possible).

We'll investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.