Desktop is the only place to create a backup ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AnthonyUK, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyUK

AnthonyUK Registered Member

Strange ! I have just installed the latest updates from Microsoft, to update my copy of XP pro and it has rendered my backup software useless! version 9.0 2,337 What is happing is when you choose back up drive it only lists the desktop as the only logical place to create the backup ?? no drives listed and move the mouse over the window listing the above and you get the hour glass.

Ok I downloaded the very latest version of the backup software installed and same thing happens. Uninstall was the next move plus a full regedit to remove all references to the backup software and removal of the DIR etc. full system scan for virus and spyware followed by a system shutdown. On power up I installed the very latest version of the backup software and rebooted ! same thing only the desktop is the only logical place to create the backup ?

Ok new move: format and install the last backup without the Microsoft updates added.
    On reboot the backup software listed all the drives available as it should do.

Ok time to test a theory, Lets install the Microsoft updates and see what happens!
    Having installed the MS updates I rebooted and same thing only the desktop is the only logical place to create the backup ?

Next move format, and again install last drive backup before the Microsoft updates, only this time I uninstall the backup software first after the restore then install the Microsoft updates. Reboot installed the backup software and same dam thing only the desktop is the only logical place to create the backup ?

Well hear are the updates I installed
    Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2006 (KB890830)
    16 April 2006 Microsoft Update
    Office 2003 Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB914454)
    Windows XP Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB911565)
    Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
    Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB912812)
    Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Weird one indeed! What type of computer system is it, Dell? Just grasping at straws here. Oh make the bootable Rescue CD, boot with it and see if you get the same result.

3. AnthonyUK

Home built system
    Intel 3.4 Extreme Edition CPU
    2 Gig XMS Pro Men
    IC7 Max 3 p4 Motherboard
    NVIDIA 6800 AGP
    Cooled by Mach 2GT
    Raid 0 X2 Raptors
    Raid 0 X2 Raptors Backup system
    7 X 250 Wd HDs

Yes I ran from CD and all is well, However you cant create an image from within windows … am sure it’s the MS updates interfering with the way the back software works of course I could be totally wrong . Wont be long before its fixed in the next update I hope.:)

4. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I've just updated the same Microsoft undates apart from the following two without a problem;

Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB914454)
    Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows

Why not try restoring again and then update from Microsoft, but only update one at a time untill you find the update causing the problem. Just a thought.

John

5. AnthonyUK

I Will give it a go and see what happens.

UPDATE **
    Well it would seem that Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
    16 April 2006 Microsoft Update. is the file that kills the backup logging the drives !!! you live and learn

Cheers Ant>:)

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ant,

Depends on your hardware but I would think it's more likely to be KB908531. Check out this <Microsoft TechNet article>.

Regards

7. AnthonyUK

Thanks Menorcaman, I will try the MS solution. However I have now uninstalled the update KB908531 and this resolves the issue of not logging drives under both versions of the backup software. Doing a check on the web boards tells me that there are lots of issues concerning this update from Microsoft, it makes you wonder why they haven’t pulled it from the list if its causing so much mischief ? oh for the want of a Linux box lol ;)

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Yep. Seems KB908531 is definetely a case of the cure being worse than the illness o_O :D.

Regards

9. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

This is why I am reluctant to do those updates unless something is amiss with my system. I just keep my antivirus updated and firewall up.

Glad to hear you found the culprit, Anthony. If it means anything, I always use the bootable CD to run any TI feature. You never know when something in Windows, or other program running in the background, will interfere with the running of TI.

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

After reading this thread, I went to check at once.

And there it was, KB908531, installed on April 12. :mad:

But I made two backups* since that Windows update and had no problem. Also, I have none of the other symptoms described in the MS Article 918165, though I have an HP desktop and HP printer (but it's not a DeskJet).

It would seem Kerio firewall to be the soft spot for KB908531 - I have ZoneAlarm installed.

* Edit: in fact, there are three backups, one from build 2337 and two from build 3567.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  11. Ahboo

Ahboo Registered Member

Had the same problem a few days ago. I discovered KB908531 had been installed, so I removed it. True Image then ran fine. This morning the same symptom! Sure enough, the automatic download from Microsoft had reinstalled KB908531 during the night. I'm turning off the automatic updates. Bah. I wonder how much checking MS does before releasing one of these patches.

12. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I would say they do a reasonable amount since problems with updates have been rare for some time now. Given the vast amount of various quality and brands of hardware and software it is amazing IMO there aren't more problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.