Acronis and Volume Shadow Copy Services problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by meteorite, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meteorite

meteorite Registered Member

Hi all,
    I recently installed Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows on one of my servers running Windows 2003 Server. I'm running Veritas Backup Exec 10 backups every night on this box as well. Acronis, for us, is a great disaster recovery solution. Install, make backup of OS partition, burn to DVD, store safely until everything goes south, use the Acronis image to get back up and running as opposed to reinstalling Windows, restore data from tape. Why Backup Exec and tape as opposed to something else? Massive automated tape library combined with heavy investment in current backup infrastructure that is easily and centrally managed and I would just like to augment a bit.
    Anyways, my problem is after I installed Acronis whenever a Backup Exec job runs on my 2003 it can't get all of the files on that machine because of the VSS errors. Also, I get the following message in my error log.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {f5dbcc43-b847-494e-8083-f030501da611}. Routine details BeginPrepareSnapshot({f5dbcc43-b847-494e-8083-f030501da611},\\?\Volume{74c1825c-3a10-11d8-81b5-806e6f6e6963}\) [hr = 0x80070002].

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I've uninstalled Acronis for the time being and the last job I ran didn't have any problems at all (it would have if Acronis were still on there). I'd like to keep Acronis on that box since its such a great utility but can't if my other jobs aren't able to get everything.
    Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello meteorite,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect that log file with the error message and create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. tonylocke

tonylocke Registered Member

I saw the same problem with Trueimage Server 9.1 (1.1.0.1247)
    It broke VSS for ntbackup.

Removing TI9 and putting my old TI8 fixed the issue.
    I beleive there's a new build of TI9.1 (downloadable from www.acronis.com) which fixes this bug?

Tony

4. Acronis Support

Hello Tony,

Please download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows which is available in the Product Updates section of our web-site and see how it works on your server. The issue with VSS was fixed in the latest build.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. KSA

KSA Registered Member

Hello,

I have the same Problem with Acronis True Image Server 9.1 and Veritas Backup Exec.

I have registered and verified the last update of Acronits True Image Server 9.1, but the newest Build ist the Build 3531. Where can i find the Build 3567?

Thanks for your fast answert!

KSA

6. KSA

KSA Registered Member

I have the German Edition and there it exist only the Build 3531, when i try to download the english version i have the Build 3567 but it is a Trial.

How can i get the real Build 3567 in english?

I found that the product updates must be offered also in english and not only in the language where we buy the software.

KSA

7. Acronis Support

Hello KSA,

Please be aware that build 3567 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows German has already been released. You can download it from the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

If you want to replace your license for the German version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows with the license for the English version of the corresponding product then please submit a request for technical support explaining your wish to make a replacement. We will certainly help you.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. SimonJohnson

SimonJohnson Registered Member

I have also got this problem on one of my Windows 2003 Server boxes.

The only problem is that Acronis wouldnt uninstall so i have had to do a MANUAL uninstall. Acronis will now not re-install (but that is a seperate issue)

As somone who has had to manually uninstall (using the Acronis guidelines) what do i need to do to get VSS working again?

Its so fustrating that not only has Acronis screwed up its taken away my ntbackup facility also!

Thank You

9. SimonJohnson

SimonJohnson Registered Member

Anyone? Right now i'd accept anything... :doubt:

10. Acronis Support

Hello SimonJohnson,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Could you please also let us know the build number of the product, which you can find in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 3 or 4 digit number)?

Please collect this information and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

11. ChristianF

ChristianF Registered Member

Hi SimonJohnson!

Did you solve your Problem?

I have exactly the same problem. It seems that the Acronis VSS Provider REPLACED the MS Shadow Copy Provider -> W2003 -> Component Services -> COM+ Application -> there is no MS Shadow Copy Provider anymore. Just the Acronis VSS Provider. Errors in the event log pointing at a CLSID which is acronis vss provider instead of MS VSS Provider. So looks like its somehow overwritten, very bad. I think about to rebuilt the whole COM+ Components but this is a little tricky. How did you manually uninstall the acronis software?

regards

Christian

12. jhanjon

jhanjon Registered Member

Same thing for me, is there an English Acronis update to fix this?

Also, does anyone have the Acronis manual uninstall instructions?

13. ChristianF

ChristianF Registered Member

Manual uninstall instructions: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=773771

Did not really help me, additionally i deleted suspicious registry keys from acronis (which where not included in the manual-uninstall-how-to) So my Computer crashed badly (bluescreen + immediately reboot) ... the only thing that helped me out, was to restore zu "the last known good configuration"... so be carefull on deleting registry keys :rolleyes:

14. jhanjon

Woa! So, when Microsoft VSS breaks, and this is now a confirmed issue, there is no further option? You can't uninstall and it is too dangerous to do a manual uninstall?

Let me get this straight, there is only a German option available to fix this, if it even fixes it at all?

Not good, not good at all.

Has anyone tried reapplying SP1 or any other re-application to get VSS fixed?

Joeo_O

15. jhanjon

16. sbranham

sbranham Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.