Network Attached Storage for TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmk94903, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Has anyone found Network Attached Storage (NAS) boxes that work well with Acronis TrueImage 9?

I posted my experiences with the Argosy HD363N/Tritton TRI-NSS001 box which I consider unacceptable for use with TI.

2. b_k

b_k Registered Member

you can mark an OpenWrt Router with USB HDD and Samba 2.0.10 as unusable. I always get "Invalid File/Destination". Acronis TrueImage seems to require some features, that are not available in the older but smaller (and therefore better for embedded hardware) Samba builds.

3. jmk94903

In looking for a replacement for the Argosy/Tritton NAS box, I saw a review on NewEgg.com for the CoolMax CN-550 enclosure. Two reviewers stated that they had problems using Acronis TrueImage (versions not specified) due to corrupt images and the inability to handle the large file sizes.

Well, that's one I won't be buying. :)

I'm going to see if the new 3567 build of TI 9 behaves any differently from build 2337.

4. b_k

b_k Registered Member

I hope it does work with my openwrt. otherwise i spent money for something i don't use. And i hope the rescue mode kernel it is bootable with syslinux loaders, like the last build. (syslinux package includes a loader called pxelinux. that and a router running the right services and i dont need to search for a cd to boot from.)
    PXE is a nice thing if one knows to bring it to use.

5. jmk94903

Well, build 3567 sitll won't write a file larger than about 2.5GB to the Argosy HD363N NAS device.

However, when booting from the Recovery CD, it successufly writes the image to the Argosy device. I hadn't tried the boot CD previously, so this may or may not be a new addition. Don't get too excited because the writing to this device is slow: 54minutes to write a 3.1GB archive file. In Windows, that would take 8-12 minutes.

6. homer007

homer007 Registered Member

Recently I had to purchase a nas which would work with acronis ti. Initially, I got a Netgear sc101, which while it worked in windows, uses it's own filesystem and requires software to be installed to be used, making it very useless during rescue situations.
    I returned this and then purchased a Buffalo Linkstation 160gb nas and have been sucessfully backing up and restoring from it ever since. This device is essentially a linux box with automatic samba share; I was able to access it as if a windows computer was sharing the harddrive in about 3 minutes. It also allows you to hook up a usb harddrive or printer, but I have not tested this much. Speed is reasonable (about 5-6 mbp/s from internal , 4-5 mbp/s from external usb hd), which may seem slow but for a network device is not so bad; Also, no errors transfering large files yet, which i've tested with a 12gb image. Anywho, it works for me...

7. jmk94903

That's great news! I've considered the Buffalo LinkStation, but it's normally sold only with a drive, so I was hoping for an empty enclosure. Buffalo's Kuro enclosure is the same box, but it's really for developers and not as easy to use.

Looks like Buffalo LinkStation is the way to go until we hear of something else.

Any other success stories or failures with NAS boxes?

8. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Maxtor shared storage also works great!

9. RichardS

RichardS Registered Member

My previous thread

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137389

describes my Iomega 250GB Network Hard Disk Drive which uses linux/NTFS and is automatically recognised by all my PCs (XP and W98SE) and given a drive letter without any software installs.

It backs up from TI9 reliably - my largest backup so far in one file is 35GB.

However it is not fast at 3.2 MBp/s - I assume that homer007 is achieving almost double my speed at 5-6 Megabytes per second rather than megabits per second?

10. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Lacie also had NAS that work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.