"Swat It"- a good trojan remover?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Steff Wiltersen, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When I was surfing, I found a freeware anti-trojan program. The name was "Swat It". I tried it, and I am wondering if this is a good trojan remover.
    Can somebody help?

You can download it here: http://lockdowncorp.com/bots/downloadswatit.html

-Steff

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Steff,

It depends on your standards. IMHO, an anti-trojan should at least have the capacity to avoid/kill a trojanserver becoming active in memory. If not, your system might have been severely compromised/damaged before using an app like the one you refer to. Apart from that, this tool by design needs frequent updating - which happens far too less.

Thus: no. Swatit will not protect your system in a way one needs. At most, it would be an average double check app - beside a resident running and frequently updated anti-trojan.

regards.

paul

3. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Steff,
               I'm in total agreement with Paul !
    Tried it myself, but was not impressed in the least.
    But one could say it is better than not having a trojan scanner at all !!

regards,
                                       bill     ;)

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Is nobody else going to say it?  (sigh)  Here's the dope:  it's from Lockdown.  There are problems (to say the least) with Lockdown.  Security software is nothing without confidence, and Lockdown inspires no confidence whatsoever.  Go to Wilders.org and look under the menu heading of "Lockdown".

There.  I said it.

5. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

LOL !!
            Checkout,
                            I'm sure a lot of viewers were thinking the same thing !!  
                          bill   :blink:

6. wizard

wizard Registered Member

The German site Rokop-Security tested it a while ago. Not a good program at all. For looking at serious anti trojan protection you should go with a commercial program at the moment because there are no real freeware solutions available.

wizard

7. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

The First Aid Anti-Trojan no good either then?

In everyone's opinion? The free version is the one I'm referring to. bob

"Trojan First Aid Kit" is the official name. sorry.

8. Paul Wilders

Pretender,

Abbandoned by Eric, the coder quite a while ago. TFAK will therefore not provide anyone with the needed protection as a first line in defense.

regards,

paul

9. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Thank you Paul

for the information

10. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I don't trust TFAK. All I have to say about that is script kiddie.

11. Paul Wilders

Apart from the fact the app is (still!) in use by hundreds thousands users - and is trustworthy; the author never has composed any malware of any kind without offering a copy to security vendors first. One can hardly call such a person a "script kiddie" - leaving the coding capacities aside.

Anyway: abandoned software in the meanwhile.

regards.

paul

12. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

LOL ... do you think you know what script kiddie means?

13. notageek

Paul I understand and know people are using tfak but I still don't trust it. And that there is no more updates means that the program isn't worth a blood nickle to me. Oh yeah this is from his web page. STC v4 Simple Tool Collection ( Utilities for script kids like me *g* ) Now let me see, looks like he's calling himself a script kid. Maybe he was joking maybe he wasn't but That right there we make lot of people think twice before they download something from his web page. Most of the people that download TFAK is downloading for places like cnet and zdnet. They maybe even downing loading it from webattack. Most of them might not even went to the site to download it or looked into the program before they down load it. But this post isn't about TFAK it's about Swat It. I hope I don't offend you or anyone here cuz all you guys a great people.

Now Andreas I know what a script kiddie is. I wasn't born yesterday. But I was calling him one cuz he called his ownself one. Oh and btw ANTS is a good program, I can't wait til ANTS 3.0 comes out. Oh yeah and another thing if you want I can type an essay on script kiddies if you what. I'll just retype my term paper on it. ;)

14. Paul Wilders

Hi notageek,

It's of no use discussing the merits of abandonned software - as TFAK actually is. In case you don't trust the author: don't use the app - it's as simple as that. I'm not offended in any way ;).

That being said, I only can repeat my former statement: the issue brought up has been discussed on many boards at the time TFAK wasn't abandonned. All had to conclude in the end, the app was trustworthy and doing the job - us included.

regards.

paul

15. notageek

Hey Paul, did he abandonned TFAK or all he's progs?

16. Paul Wilders

notageek,

All as fas I know.

regards.

paul

17. Ghost

Ghost Guest

By gosh, I believe I just got a Swat-It update??

testsig.txt 3902?

Or was that a hiccup?

18. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I like Swat it because ever time I see it as a title for a thread...
    I know there will be posts were people have typed "faster" than they usually do in rely to other threads. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.