"System safety monitor" input desired

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Pretender, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Anyone familiar with the program? Would it be reduntant to use this program when you consider the programs I have listed below? Appreciate any information from users.

2. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

No problem with any app but SSM is at its best with NT OS.

Some functions are not available on Win98/Me

Rgds,

3. Pretender

Thanks Jack,

I have a problem with system resources (ME). I can't spare any. Would you know if it would be worth it to replace (or will SSM be able to replace) some of the programs I am using now?

4. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

You don't need FC when running SSM.

Rgds,

5. root

root Registered Member

SSM is one program I will not go without. Working as a sandbox, it gives security that cannot be achieved in any other way with the current state of technology.
    Are you running with AVG and NAV2002 both resident? I would highly recommend only one AV running resident.
    Also, I use Spybot S&D but do not run with it resident.

6. Pretender

Thanks Jack

7. Pretender

I am running with both AVG and NAV 2002 both resident and have never (knock on wood) experienced any conflicts. What would be the problem with both running resident? I've seen numerous posts in the past against doing this, but never have really seen a reason to not do so. I don't run Spybot S&D resident. Thanks for your input root.

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

While not on the main topic of the thread, I think answering this question is important enough...

>> What would be the problem with both running resident?

Well, for some people no conflict ever shows itself in any easy to see manner when running two same purpose resident programs such as two resident AVs. For other people, the conflicts are readily seen through system crashes, system hangs, error messages or performance problems.

Personally, I think the person who is shown the conflict through one of the above happening, and who decides to fix it by making one application primary (always resident) and the other a backup (only on demand) may well be the lucky person.

Unfortunately, just because there is no obvious (visible) conflict doesn't mean there isn't one. What if an unseen conflict prevents both AVs from acting as needed at a critical moment?

Say there's a heavy weight piece of malware that's starting to run and both AVs see it and try to go after it but somehow prevent each other from catching it - and the malware runs? Impossible? Hmm, I really have to wonder about it. It would concern me.

Many people will say never to run two resident AVs and many others may say that they've never had a problem. And they may all be right - as far as their system goes. But, since every system is different, who can say this type of critical failure won't happen at the worst possible time?

Same goes for running, (or even installing, because of how their drivers seem to work), two software firewalls on the same system.

In fact, (he says somewhat looping back on to topic - at least a little ;) ), I wouldn't run SSM with Tiny Trojan Trap on the same system - again, similar function apps going after the same events at the same time...

9. Pretender

I can live with your explanation.........Thanks! Have shutdown the control center for AVG. :cool:

10. root

root Registered Member

LWM expressed my concerns perfectly. I see nothing gained in taking a chance as he outlined, and a backup 'scanner' should work quite well for most people.

11. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Whats FC Jack?
    Thankz

12. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

File checker

Rgds,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.