Can't Clone Drive with Ver 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by centerfield, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centerfield

centerfield Registered Member

I cannot clone my first hard drive onto my second hard drive with true image version 9 build 2337. I have two hard drives installed. Each is in a removal hard drive caddy. I am using windows XP Pro. All the steps appeared to complete properly and true image tells me that I have successfully cloned the disk but when I reboot my computer and check the disk the second drive has not been changed, even though I make the choice to delete the existing partition on the second drive. In essence although true image appears to have cloned the drive, it in fact has not, and is not even erasing a text file on the second drive, thus it is obviously not deleting the existing partition on the second drive and it is not cloning the first drive to the second drive.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Are you running TI from within windows or from the bootable rescue CD? Whichever one you used, try the other.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello centerfield,

Run chkdsk x: /r (where x: represents the letter of the partition you want to check) via the Command Prompt on every partition of both drives and then see if that helped.

Regards

4. centerfield

Thanks for the advise - I am trying to clone from windows - I don't need TI to clone from a bootable CD or floppy as Western digital's FREE data life tools will do that for FREE. I BOUGHT TI to clone from windows

5. centerfield

Thanks for the help - but it didn't help.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello centerfield,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

7. centerfield

LOL...I did all that and support sends me an email asking "exactly what do you see when the computer reboots?" I spend $50 on a software program and then waste 100's of dollars of my time trying to get it to work and having to repeat myself to support.

One more time - when I try to clone drive 1 to drive 2, true image acts as if it has completed the cloning process (it congratulates me) but in fact it has not cloned the drive and it has not made any changes whatsoever to the 2nd drive.

HOWEVER, I FOUND A WORKAROUND THAT REQUIRES THAT I DISCONNECT MY TWO USB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES - AFTER DOING THAT, TRUE IMAGE DOES EXACTLY WHAT IT DID BEFORE BUT THIS TIME IT ACTUALLY CLONES INTERNAL HARD DRIVE 1 TO INTERNAL HARD DRIVE 2. BUT WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO RECONFIGURE MY SYSTEM TO GET TRUE IMAGE TO WORK? WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE USB DRIVES THAT CAUSES TRUE IMAGE TO ACT AS IF IT IS CLONING BUT NOT ACTUALLY CLONE? AND DOES THIS MEAN THAT ONE COULD NOT CLONE INTRENAL DRIVE 1 TO A USB CONNECTED EXTERNAL DRIVE?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello centerfield,

We are really sorry that you are displeased with the work of Acronis software. However, we will certainly do our best in order to investigate the problem and provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Could you please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information for both cases: when your external USB hard drives are connected and when they are not? Please rename the files created to report_with.txt, sysinfo_with.NFO and report_without.txt, sysinfo_without.NFO accordingly. Please reply to the e-mail that you received from Acronis Support Team and attach the collected files along with the link to this thread to your letter.

Please also let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subject(s) of the letter(s) that you received from our Support Team.

Actually, Acronis True Image 9.0 allows cloning from\to the hard drives connected to the computer via USB.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Welcome to USB. I have several computers that won't boot with some USB drives connected. NOthing about USB surprises me.

sh

10. mike2006

mike2006 Registered Member

I'm having the exact same problem.

Mike

11. mike2006

You are absolutely right - there is something wierd about the USB that is stopping it at the Checking Partitions and it stays at 0% for a few minutes and then says congratulations and says the clone is done when in fact it has not started.

Here's what I have discovered so far:

1. I have an internal USB bay, internal IDE bay and an external USB hard drive. I could not clone to either my internal USB or internal IDE even with the external USB hard drive turned OFF (I didn't try cloning to the external USB but I would think the same problem would exist). I only had a hard drive in one bay while the other bay was empty when I tried cloning to both bays. Neither would work

2. I'm VERY GLAD I read your post about USBs. I immediately disconnected my USB keyboard and plugged in a regular keyboard and tried again. Still no luck.

3. I then disconnected my USB Palm device, USB web cam and USB hard drive (even though it was turned off). I then tried again with no external USB plugs and I then tried cloning to the internal USB Bay and it worked! I was quite surprised. The only other USB on the system is an internal USB flash drive (but there were no flash cards in every time I tried the backup).

I'm not sure what is going on - but something related to the USB makes Acronis think a backup is done when trying to backup to either an IDE or USB drive at the Checking Partitions 0%. It just goes from 0% to congratulations all done screen.

Mike

12. Menorcaman

Hello Mike,

If possible, try it with the flash card reader disconnected or, if that's not possible, insert some flash cards in it.

Regards

13. darcya

darcya Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem, having just purchased V9. I had no problem with Version 8

14. mike2006

Menorcaman - I didn't need to put a flash card in. Please re-read my post. Everything worked when I unpluged the external USB cables for my palm pilot, webcam and external hard drive and keyboard. Only then was I able to make a successful clone (with the internal card reader installed).

Either way - it doesn't matter - it is clearly a bug in the Acronis software.

Mike

15. Menorcaman

Oops! Sorry Mike, I was trying to isolate the cause of the previous failures and completely missed the fact that the flash card reader was still connected during the successful clone :oops:.

Regards

16. mike2006

I'm somewhat surprised that this thread is dying out when this appears to be a serious bug in Acronis.

Mike

17. Menorcaman

Hi Mike,

This sort of problem is usually very dependent on the specific hardwardware/firmware being used by an individual. If not already done, you'll probably get a better response by raising a support case with Acronis Customer Service as detailed in the Forum Sticky titled <Please Read Before You Post>.

Regards

18. darcya

darcya Registered Member

I am having exactly the same problem and have been to support with no success. I am not using a USB drive & have only a USB Plam & Card reader attached. I am trying to clone the Master drive to a Slave (internal) with both on Cable select. Using Acronis Version 8 I had no problem, but I only had a trial copy. Is it possible to get a licence for Version 8 until this major problem with Version 9 is sorted out. I had after all paid a not inconsiderable sum for Version 9, not expecting major problems like this.

Darcya

19. mike2006

Try unplugging ALL your other USB devices (except the drive you are trying to clone to) and post back and let us all know here if it works. It worked when I unplugged all my USB devices. Unplug your USB Palm and card reader or any external USB devices. I am sending a bug notice to Acronis about this.

Mike

20. rhett121

rhett121 Registered Member

It really is a USB problem. I just tried to clone from one disk to another and it went through all the steps and even restarted and then told me to remove the old disk. When I restarted I was left with an empty disk!

I subsequently disconnected ALL USB devices including my keyboard and mouse (thankfully I have the old ones as well) and tried it again. This time it appears to actually be doing something. It's working on it right now so I will post back and let you know how it works out.

Too bad there isn't some kind of disclaimer on their website to let people know of such a simple fix.

-- Well it finished, this time it actually worked. Now I'm off to make sure all my apps still work before I repurpose the disk. I actually went from a larger disk to a smaller one (160GB -> 40GB) but I was only using 25GB anyway. So here's the drill... Disconnect ALL USB devices! For those of you with problems booting to USB drives I've got one word... FIREWIRE!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  21. mike2006

I sent a note to Acronis along with a link to this thread. Hopefully they will respond quickly to this as you are yet another person with this problem.

I can't explain it but like you, I unplugged all the external USB devices and it cloned just fine. Not sure what is going on but Acronis will hopefully get this one fixed quick.

Mike

22. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

same here =(

23. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

So, reading this Thread, are U Guys saying that if I Ckone my Old HD , onto a USB 2.0 External HD,[ to "Park" the Image temporarily ] and when I need to Reclone it back to a NEW HD, I will run into problems?

24. mike2006

No - I'm saying that when cloning, Acronis may say the cloning is done within just a few minutes and it says Success when nothing has been copied at all. If that happens, and you then try unplugging all the other USB devices, then it may work just fine. You will know because it won't go from 0% immediately to the Congratulations screen.

Mike

25. Menorcaman

Hi niteghost,

You appear to mixing up your terminolgy :p.

When you say "to "Park" the Image temporarily" on your USB 2 HD I assume you are talking about "Imaging" the old HD rather than "Cloning"? For True Image the terms have very specific meanings and entail entirely different processes.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.