Amon Optimisation

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackcat, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Having been one of the lucky prize winners, I have been playing about with NOD for the last 24 hours. And I am very impressed.

Amon is causing no slowdown on my Win2000 system at all, and in fact everything has speeded up since I installed NOD as my Primary AV. But since I like to tinker I would like to have Amon fully optimised.

In the Amon Setup, the default settings are set to scan all files on open, create and execute. And these are the recommended default settings.

Can someone answer the following;

1. What are the differences between these scan options and why are all three recommended to run?

2. Other memory check programs such as BOClean check ONLY in the READ-only mode and there are no WRITES. Does NOD have a similar check method?

Or with the default settings, does it check each file with every read/write operation? If the latter, it would appear to be some sort of duplication and therefore would this potentially slow down AMON?

2. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

A scan on "Open" would detect a virus when a file is opened.. Example: When you copy a file, or when IE moves the file from the temporary internet files to your selected destination.

A scan on "Create" would detect a virus when a new file is created (I assume it scans the file when it gets closed).

A scan on "Execute" should detect a virus if you try to execute an infected file.

The Execute and Open are quite similar I guess, I don't know the technical difference between them...

There shouldn't be any scanning on reads/writes, rather when files are opened/closed. It's not that common that files that can contain live viruses are opened/closed at a high rate..

Sure there are potential issues, but.. as many other things, it's often very system dependent, and I haven't heard too many stories about people having performance issues with NOD32. :)

If you notice a slowdown, it might be some "bad" program opening itself several times or something, but that should be rather easily resolved by excluding that program from the scan.

Best regards,
    Anders

3. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

It can be nice to specify each-scan type folders...

Like: I want to scan all created files in \download\ folders (included archvies) but in any other places only extension scan.
    I don't like to scan executing files from \windows\ but I would like to scan files opened from lokal network. Virus can't get into clean \windows\ folder bypasing on-file-create AMON scan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.