VM Rootkits: The Next Big Threat?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Damn, and I thought I would be safe now, actually surfing with vmware..
    but noticed a hook.dll in lots of processes.
    But the hook in Vmware is nothing dangerous.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  3. f3x

f3x Registered Member

This is similar to the *blue pill* topic that have spawned a bit everywhere in there forum.

This thread is also the continuation of that other one:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=809085#post809085

in wich Mrkvonic Posted:

SO the subject look confusing.
    This is NOT an idea of rootkit that goes outside the virtual machine and infect the host.

This is the idea of a rootkit that infect the host then .... secretly without you being able to see it launch the host as a virtual machine.

Basicly the whole Host and security app live inside a virtual machine created by the rootkit. Application inside this machine cannot see the outside ... so they cannot see the rootkit.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

5. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi,
    sorry about that Bubba, this subject has been currant with me at the moment via a talk I gave on this subject, many fingers in pies as the expression goes, and remembered I had that link knocking about to that article which I felt was easy on the reading/understanding - as a start to a discussion. Didnt realise it was five months ago thou :eek: time flies
    I DO search here, but unfortunetly that one past me by! - sorry ronjor.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No problem what so ever as it's still a good topic to discuss ;)

7. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

How can something from within a virtual machine program come out and attack the host operating system? Aren't they separate from each other, the guest and the host OS?

8. Meriadoc

I think many of us feel safe in a tightly configured state running VM but with something such as this...
    what you thought was configured may not be and...
    :eek:

I've had Qs obviously, about whether any av is detecting this.:)
    Has this been discussed? Not necessary av.

@nadirah (please forgive if this does not read correctly, my english, I hope you get the jist)
    The idea is to take malicious code and subvirt it from your os. This is achieved through the creation of an additional 'layer,' a VMMonitor, between the os and your hardware. This is when control is lost, bypassed through the VMMonitor.
    Then the new normality launches another os where the malicious code is executed!
    This malicious progam is then in direct contact with the hardware and undetectable by the users os :)

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

10. Meriadoc

Backdoor.Rustock, you can read more about this at Symantec and F-Secure.
    Theres alot of infections that can circumnavigate detectors, this one hides in alternative data streams which are further hidden via a rootkit.:)
    It is now detectable, although its a constant battle with well know rootkit scanners such as F-Secures blacklight.
    That is why when time permits I'm playing with the system virginity verifier (svv) source. The different versions produced with this source will be harder to beat.
    Anyway there are a few exploits now which are very nasty

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  11. alch

alch Registered Member

I don't think the biggest threat is the attacks on already installed VM software, such as VMware. I think the biggest threat is rootkit software using similar technology to VMware that installs a rootkit between the hardware and os.

I think this is the idea behind the 'blue pill' software that there is soo much hype about.

12. Meriadoc

alch :
    Thats right...
    alch :
    Yes JRutkowska ran with it and pushed it further http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2006/06/introducing-blue-pill.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.