How to be Admin + Limited User at the same time

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by StevieO, Mar 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

The Ozzies have done it again ! This App makes flipping in and out of Admin a breeze. I can't think of anything that works as simply as this. Could be just the ticket for a lot of people.

. . .

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/9696/runsafe1qq.gif

http://www.runsafe.com/

StevieO

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2006
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    DropMyRights does that too.
    DefenseWall does that too.
    Anyhow, nice find!
    Mrk

3. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I've been involved in the beta testing if this app and I have to say it seems to work very well indeed. It's painless to set up and a no-brainer to use.

Forget the hassle of trying to get a limited user account to work properly, just run all your internet-facing apps through Runsafe and you're very well protected.

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

....... might be Worth looking at

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks for the link StevieO. :thumb:
    This app looks great. I love the fact that it is just an install and run. I have tried Dropmyrights, but this one is so much easier to use.

6. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

trickyricky and sukarof

Yes i thought how easy it looked to use etc as well, just drag and drop and you're off and running in one second ! Good to hear that someones had positive experiences with it too.

starfish_001

The Security Pit and RunSafe appear to be the same program from the same company, not that it matters, unless there are some differences between the Apps ?

StevieO

7. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Yes, they are one and the same app. Towards the end of the beta test, the marketing bods at the company decided that they didn't like the name SecurityPit, so they rebranded it to RunSafe and that's the current name for it.

8. starfish_001

Sorry my mistake I did test the early version just before full release. Quite a nice little app.

I tend to use defencewall

9. SecurityFan

SecurityFan Registered Member

I'm new at this and was thinking of getting DropMyRights. Can someone elaborate on the differences between RunSafe and DropMyRights? Is RunSafe worth the cost versus the other being free?

Also, if there's a need to temporarily switch back to admin level for an application that's protected by RunSafe, is that easy?

Is there any chance of RunSafe interfering with HIPS type programs/features? For exampe, Online Armor. Or even Norton Internet Security -- it prompts when a webpage has ActiveX, etc. Also, is there any realistic chance of RunSafe running afoul of future Windows patches/updates?

I'm just trying to get a feel for whether to stick with my idea of using MicroSoft's DropMyRights or this new app, RunSafe. Thanks for any help!

10. squash

squash Registered Member

Running an application in a sandbox is not the same as running in a true limited account it does not even compare.

What happens if you don't run an application in that sandbox, would it able to cause havoc? yes it would.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m not really impressed by the GUI, plus you can also do this with the Software Restriction Policy in Windows XP Pro. I don´t think I would pay for such an app eventhough making shortcuts with DropMyRights can become a bit annoying (if you have Win XP Home).

And AFAIK, DefenseWall and BufferZone offer even more security than if you run apps in non-admin mode, apps are even more restricted plus don´t have access to the file system and registry. ;)

12. squash

squash Registered Member

Good stuff Rasheed I never though about that

13. starfish_001

14. starfish_001

15. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes the SRP tool is very handy and powerful, I think it´s a shame it´s only included in XP Pro. If you configure it the right way you can even make it so that executable files can only run from C:\Program Files for example, that´s a nice way to harden your system. ;)

16. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I personally prefer to run as a limited user and use the run as option for stuff that needs to run as admin (which is in my case is usually only to change setttings).

17. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi I've been looking for something for a family member who has xphome, will only run admin and is in noway computer savvy. Amoungst others, I've tried RunSafe for a time and come to the conclusion that they might just be able to manage it.

Does anyone know why this program is not found on the GetData website and has it been dropped, and does the fact that the 'Secured by RunSafe' lable not appearing at the top right every time have any significance. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• gd.JPG
      gd.JPG
      File size:
      24.5 KB
      Views:
  18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Computer Security Tool and RunSafe are no longer affiliated with GetData, and will not likely be developed any further.

19. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Thanks for that info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.