Bit Defender - I don't believe it.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

A couple of days ago I had a shutdown that was I guess the XP equiv of BSOD. The report from MS said it was Bit Defender that had caused it. I reported it to BD and then did as they directed. Here is the reply from BD.
    Removed private email ~ Ron https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=692353&postcount=17
    END QUOTE

Of those programs only Spy Sweeper, and Ewido are active, and the rest on demand.
    I do not intend to ditch those or most of them, and depend only on BD, as good as it is.
    Comment?

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2006
  2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i would keep ur setup as long as u dont get any more shutdowns, but u do have quite a bit for on-demand scanning.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

People are way too paranoid. Why on earth you need 6 antispyware tools, 2 online scanners, 1 antitrojan and 1 antivirus !?

BitDefender + Mozilla/Opera browser and Spybot/Ad-aware are way over the head, seriously.

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I think you should take better care and always read the "readme.txt" supplied with programs
    BitDefender is not compatible with Spybot S&D, also impatibility doesn't have anything to do if they're running in real-time. Most commonly they can chance files BitDefender needs. The same problem exists with other AV's (Trend Micro is incompatible with Ad-aware for example).

I would reccomend to follow the support instructions, they are very professional, and won't let you do any useless things in my experience.

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

When did BD cause this BSOD, after updating ? scanning ? I had a problem with BD and Sandboxie.

BTW I agree with RejZoR, people seem to be running "way too paranoid"

6. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Somehow you can overdo it...
    And i fully agree with BD that this setup might produce more problems then it's worth having all this.

The only reason you never got infected is not because you have & need all these apps, it's most likely because every worm/trojan who tries to start doesn't have enough system resources to execute. :eek:

7. Durad

Durad Registered Member

o_O :thumb:

8. Wolfe

Wolfe Registered Member

These will do:

ewido security suite
    Kaspersky On-line Scanner
    Spyware Doctor 3.2
    SpywareBlaster v3.5.1

&HB:

...only partly. The Softwin advice is rubbish only because it didn't specify which softwares are overkill. The one's mentioned above are doing no harm in any way - on the contrary.

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I will take the advice and reduce the number of programs. I am not going to get rid of Ewido or Spysweeper. However, some of the others will go.

I do think we get paranoid, and no doubt there will be conflicts. I do like BD, but wonder if NOD or KAV would be more compatible with the other programs mentioned??

Thanks,
    Jerry

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Happy Bytes,
    Which of the programs would you recommend be uninstalled? Except BD:D
    Also would NOD be compatible with all those programs or would there likely be conflicts?

Thanks,
    Jerry

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Amen to that... :thumb:

12. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

BitDefender is not compatible with Spybot S&D

Sorry but to say the least I have BD Pro 9 running on a seperate PII Win 2000 Pro machine (yes thats right a PII ) and also have Spybot S&D as well on the same machine and MS AS as well. Have never ever had any issues what so ever.

13. Sputnik

I would recommend you to uninstall Spybot S&D though when you run BitDefender. This issue has been discussed several times with BitDefender's technical staff. The problem is mainly that in some situations Spybot S&D will block BitDefender to preform certain actions (also when Spybot S&D's TeaTimer ain't running).

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have uninstalled the following.
    Spybot
    MSAS
    Panda Active Scan
    Spyware Doctor 3.2 free
    XCleaner
    Spyware Blaster

I am not sure why it would be desirable to unstall CCleaner, or Kaspersky on-line scan. Maybe I should uninstall it and each time I run the online scan then it will reinstall what it needs. How does it conflict?

I continue to think that Spysweeper is a necessary AS application, but maybe one does not need an AS.

I keep reading of the layering principle in protection, but I do realize it can be overdone. What surprises me is that some of the stuff in on demand, and I did not think it did anything except sit there until called up.

It also seems that BD folks do not think an AT is necessary since Ewido was one that they recommended to be uninstalled. So far I do not plan to do that unless the experts here tell me I do not need an AT.

I now have BD, SpySweeper, Ewido,Win Patrol Snoopfree, UnHack Me, LnS, and Spyware Guard,and CCleaner (should I get rid of this one also). How does that look?

Jerry

15. ronbo613

ronbo613 Registered Member

I'm using BitDefender, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, Adaware and ZoneAlarm and have not noticed any issues. Could someone be so kind as to direct me to the information about the problems between Spybot and BitDefender so I can find out more?
    Thanks.

16. Sputnik

Check BitDefender's readme.txt, SpyBot S&D is listed there as incompatible program. The extra information I have comes from BitDefenders technicians, by private e-mail, therefore they can't be quoted.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

\

I respect the right of the mods to limit emails. However, I am somewhat surprised that information pertaining to non-compatible programs is considered private. It seems that would be important information for a forum such as this. The same thing is true of the programs I listed that BD evidently considered incompatible with BD on my system.

Such information does not seem to be private information to me, but I will comply anyway. Just a thought mods.

Jerry

18. ronbo613

ronbo613 Registered Member

The information on the incompatibility issue in the readme file is very limited and I don't know what the big secret is, but I guess I'll email BitDefender and see what the deal is.
    Thanks Sputnik

19. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

do you really need webroot spysweeper if you have ewido full?

i thought ewido and BD would cover everything spysweeper, spybot, ad-aware does

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In regards to the link Ron gave above....one of the more important posts was made by one of the owners of WildersSecurity.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I think it is OK for me to post the programs that BD said to uninstall. If not then I apologize ahead of time. The email may have been deleted, and some do not know what programs BD indicates should be removed.

CCleaner (remove only)
    ewido security suite
    Kaspersky On-line Scanner
    Panda ActiveScan
    Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1
    Spyware Doctor 3.2
    SpywareBlaster v3.5.1
    X-Cleaner Freeware
    Microsoft AntiSpyware
    Spy Sweeper

Ewido states that they are compatible with Bit Defender. Maybe the BD team rightfully concluded that I had too many programs, and that they caused problems. But I am confused why some of them were recommended for deletion. I have emailed BD and questioned why Spy Sweeper, CCleaner, and Ewido are recommended for removal.

Jerry

22. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Off topic posts concerning e-mails being posted were removed.

23. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I've recently installed BD9, so i'm a bit purturbed about all the listed Apps that are said to be incompatable. In particular Spybot S&D/CCleaner/Kaspersky On-line Scanner/SpywareBlaster, as i use them all !

JerryM mentioned Spybot S&D v1.4 but i'm using 1.3. I was running TeaTimer along with BD9, so i'd like to know if this is advisable or not ?

Thanks

StevieO

24. chia

chia Registered Member

Of the apps that have been mentioned I have ewido, KAV online scanner, CCleaner and Spywareblaster currently installed on my PC and there have not been any conflicts with my BD9 Standard, none that I've noticed at least. Of those, CCleaner is the only one that gets regular use.

I'm content with just letting BD9 and BOClean be my on frontline and leave it at that.

25. timcan

timcan Registered Member

From BD 9 read me txt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.