Insfwi Driver Error 4

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by snowfire, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowfire

snowfire Registered Member

Hi!! Everyone, (Win XP sp2, ProcessGuard, RegRun Plat, NOD32, Process Explorer...)

I am trialing the current release. During the install (tried norm mode, then safe mode) I recieved a "Cannot load driver Insfw1 (error 4). After reboot I then got the same dialog except it was (error 0). LnS appears to be functioning in all aspects except for 'Application Filtering'. No processes are/will load and all buttons are greyed out including the enable box.

I found an almost-similar problem on pg 5 or 6. In his case processes were loading but would 'disappear' later. This patch (LnSRegPatch.exe) was offered as a fix (for him)...would this work for me?

I did save the 'Driver Log' if it is required.

I have only had this installed for about an hour...and already I think I like it...if only I can get the App Filter working!

I am using ProcessGuard so I do have control over apps...I just hope they are not conflicting.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

snowfire

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

snowfire,

This must be a typo: "Insfwi1" ??

On my system there is only "Insfw1.sys" and "Insfw.sys" located in
    windows/system32/drivers/

Anyway, I also thought about trying ProcessGuard on my machine. To the others here: Is there anything known about conflicts between PG and LnS ??

Thanks,
    Thomas :)

3. snowfire

Hi!

It was a typo. Edited with correction...thanks!

I also noticed that in 'Advanced' mode "DLLS' is greyed out...which, under the circumstances makes sense.

I checked /WINDOWS/system32/Drivers. Insfw1.sys, nor Insfw.sys are there. o_O There is a good chance that one of the errors (during install or reboot) indicated an error with the (1) at the end and I just missed it.

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi snowfire

Yes to fix the Look ‘n’ Stop Application Filtering anomaly (‘Cannot load driver lnsfw1 (error: 4)’ ) you should download LnSRegPatch available at http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Tools/LnSRegPatch.exe and execute, re-boot.

By the looks of it, you should Uninstall Look ‘n’ Stop, re-boot Windows, re-install Look ‘n’ Stop and be very observant with the installation wizard, ensure you respond appropriately (especially with the driver installs, make sure you permit install, you may be prompted several times).

5. snowfire

Thanks! PhantOm :)

...was waiting for a confirmation on the fix.

I am already sold on LnS. :D

I had OP Pro...v2.5 was good but I made the mistake of upgrading to 2.7 then tried v3. I went back to 2.5 and it was never the same again. I got tried of fighting it.

I am using your Enhanced ruleset...but can't get it to stick. Maybe after doing the fix following your instructions all will be well.

Again...Thanks!!
    snowfire

6. snowfire

Hi! Thomas M,

I am sure there are other PG people around...but as soon as I get LnS fully functional I'll let you know how PG and LnS play together. My guess...they won't fight.

:)

snowfire

7. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Some additional information.

This is strange "error 4" is not supposed to exist o_O
    "error 0" means that the driver (lnsfw1 in your case) was not loaded properly by windows at startup.

http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Tools/LnSRegPatch.exe is normally no longer requires with the 2.05p3.
    In other words: when encountering a problem with lnsfw1 (not loaded, loaded but not in the right order...) and the 2.05p2 version, one should update to 2.05p3.

Frederic

8. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

Hi Snowfire,

I am running Processguard and Reg Defend alongside LnS, and there is no conflict at all. I am also running Spyware Doctor.

Delgado

:) :)

9. snowfire

Hi!! All,

:D

PhantOm...It worked!!

Had to uninstall/reinstall in safe mode 2x. The first time (after reboot) same problem. Applied the patch and got a "Patch Problem 12" message. ...:thumbd:

The second time, before the install reboot, I applied the patch and...:thumb:

Don't ask me why it it worked that way...'cause I have no idea. Unless you are supposed to apply the patch before an install reboot!

Each time I uninstalled a FW I was test driving I did a proper uninstall for each and followed up with manual and application based registry search and cleanups (using four different utilities!). ZA was particularly stubborn...even after following Hoov's (CastleCops-ZA Host) removal instructions.

Hi!! Frederic...I do have v2.05p2, I thought it was the most current? I did get it off the LnS site. When I decided that OP was 'probably' going on the trash heap I had d/L several FW's...don't know how I didn't get the most current version. Probably an oversite on my part.
    But everything is working now. Can I upgrade to p3 even though I am still trialing?

As for the 'error 4' message...I am fairly positive that is what it said according to my first post. But I have been messing with FW's for a week now...and was getting pretty frustrated.

Well, now the serious test drive begins...but I am pretty much already sold on LnS!!

Excellent work Frederic and PhantOm!!

snowfire

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  10. snowfire

Thanks Delgado...the info is reassuring. :)

'cause ZoneAlarm Pro really annoyed me. The user agreement said it might affect some programs...I figured that ment my Anti-Spyware stuff. It didn't say that it's 'Program Control' was a System Process Manager!! And a bad one at that!
    It actually had the nerve to replace 'Process Explorer' silently, and seriously conflicted with Port Explorer and ProcessGuard.

What is most troubling...Process Explorer is and was under PG protection. ZA Pro was not even in PG...yet ZA was able to replace-keep Process Explorer from loading!! Not Good!!!

It took me hours to get ZA off my system and repair the damage done. I will be posting in the appropriate forums to let people know.

snowfire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.