Ewido is needs to use less resources for me to renew

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by BrainWarp, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Ewido needs to use less resouces for me to upgrade to 4.0 when it comes out.Ewido uses more than my antivirus and firewall together.I have had this program sense they first came out and really do like it,but there are other programs that use half the resources and do a great job also.

I have heard that 4.0 will use less resouces ,but they said that about 3.0 when it came out and it was not true--atleast on my system.

What is the time frame for 4.0?I am looking at boclean and TH so i hope it will be soon.

Also where is fish?or does he go by a different name with ewido now.

2. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I have the paid version too and disabled the guard as it slowed down my PC any time I tried to open programs.
    If the new version is quicker then I'll renew my license.

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

My sentiments exactly, except I eschew the term "resources", and so will simply say that "Ewido slows down my system too much!"

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Same for me. Very good program, but only using it as "On demand" right now.;)

5. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

This may be the problem I too am having on an old Win2k box here. It is a fresh install and have lost count on how many times that the box has locked up on me while trying to do a Complete scan. When I say locked up I mean locked up tight. I had to use the reset button to get control back.

Update.. I have just uninstalled this application off my computer. I am sorry but it is causing too many lockups to be of any use to me.

:(

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  6. Joliet Jake

My system is P4 3gig with 1 gig of ram. Hope the new ewido gets that sorted as I really like it otherwise.

7. enduser999

Try it on an antiquated P/// 550 w 512 RAM.

8. nameless

You don't need to go that extreme. I've got a halfway-decent machine (AMD running at 2.1 GHz and 2-GB of RAM), yet Ewido makes application launches--and the system in general--slow down so much I invent new curse words when I use it. Which is ... never these days.

9. steveke

steveke Registered Member

I have noticed a little bit of a slowdown after installing Ewido's active guard.

I had assumed that this was due to the fact that files opened in Explorer are first scanned by ewido as a peventative, before being started or executed.

I have noticed that the memory usage by Ewido jumps way down after I run a scan. Just ran a scan and before Ewido was at 26,000-after 3800. (now-5500).

I do not know the answer. My slowdown is not very much, but things seem to be the same before and after the scan.

10. Jaws

Jaws Registered Member

I don't mean to offend anyone, if I do, I apologize ... and I don't doubt anyone .... I know everyone's systems are different and therefore programs will respond differently ... but I must say all the people with slow-downs because of ewido amazes me.

:D I guess you guys never ran computers in the '80s or most of the '90s ... you want to talk about ... sllooowwww.:D

By todays standards my system is old (1.33 T-Bird, 512 MB ram, win2k) and I don't have any noticeable slow-downs in system performance. Been running ewido for about 10 months now, with full guard and realtime with no problems, (except for the snafu back in September? with the signatures). I suppose I should feel lucky.

Perhaps ewido should do another survey to see ... what combination of other program and their system specs ... that people run together that are causing the performance hit people are seeing.

I certainly hope they can sort it all out for everyone, especially for the people that paid for it already - and the new version doesn't cause a performance hit, because the program does offer another choice.

Regards,

11. nameless

I've been using PCs in one way or another since the late 80s. Does that mean I shouldn't mind when Ewido kills my performance? Or that I'm imagining it? Doesn't matter to me either way at this point.... I've written it off, just like BOClean.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Not being very good at computer stuff, I am often confused when folks complain about resource usage.
    I must say that I never notice such things, and it may be that I know so little that I do not notice it.

For most of you, does it really slow your machine down so much that it is not getting the job done, or is it just that as you look at the resource use you do not like it for no good reason than it uses more than you would like?

I wonder how legitimate the complaints are vs just having a hang-up about resource use?
    How does your computer act that is so bad?

Thanks,
    Jerry

13. Joliet Jake

I know what you're saying but in this day an age we have the choice and I for one would rather choose non-slow. ;)

14. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Mine is not slow...........

15. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I could live with ewido's higher memory usage, but couldn't live with the slowdown when launching applications with ewido guard enabled.

Boot up is also slower when ewido guard is enabled.

16. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Try setting the Terminal Service to Manual in your system services. There is a known bug in Ewido that is causing it to delay for 30 seconds on reboot because of the Terminal Service being set to automatic.

I'm not experiencing any slow down on my XP-SP2 system with Ewido Guard active. P4 2.6 ghertz, 1.5 gbyte DRAM.

17. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Thanks for the tip siliconman. I'll give it a go.

18. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

yeah i only experience a little longer boot, but no real slowdown opening programs or web pages with ewido full. AMD barton at 2.4, 1GB ram

19. nameless

Uh-oh... Me and/or my system must be smoking crack. I just installed the latest version of Ewido Anti-Malware, and the slowdown doesn't seem as bad as before. Doesn't seem too bad at all actually, though maybe I should give it longer before saying so.

20. enduser999

Well unless there has been a newer version out of Ewido released since my last post that greatly reduced the overhead for the application to run in real time protection mode I can not see using on my lowly P /// 550 Win2k w 512MB.

21. nameless

Heh, well don't feel bad. The latest version impacts performance less than the previous one I tried, but now I find that Ewido makes my system hang. I give up. I just give up!

22. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

When do these hangs occur? That's very uncommon :(

23. nameless

It just happened quite out of the blue. It wasn't a total system freeze, such that the mouse cursor wouldn't move--rather, all individual applications stopped responding.

Also, in what may be a separate issue or the same issue--I don't know--Ewido's tray icon freezes on me when I simply right click on it. After that happens, the entire system starts doing strange things.

24. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Runs very well on this Pentium 3 500mhz computer with 512k ram. The only other program running with it as far as security goes is NOD32 behind a router.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  25. azumi21

azumi21 Registered Member

ewido guard runs perfect on this system (2.6 p4, 1.5ram) with av, fw, pg etc.

watch dvds, browse net, chat, all at the same time without a hiccup.

fine tune your system: get rid of the bs services from admin tools and use autoruns to go even further. Could always throw some more ram in - so cheap these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.