New updates every 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Eldar, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi all,

Just uninstalled RegDefend and installed the beta. :thumb:
    Is it normal that the beta shows new updates to download every 10 minutes or so o_O
    Upon restart it will ask it again after some delay.
    If I press the button 'Check Now' it will also say there are new updates.

Didn't find a previous thread about it or else I missed it.
    If someone knows how to prevent it from happening, that would be great.
    It's really driving me crazy. :rolleyes: :D

I could try a reinstall, but best to ask it first if someone experiences the same.

Thanks in advance. ;)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/eldarwyn/Wilders/gss_beta_updates.jpg

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

3. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hey, many thanks for that link and your help. :)
    I missed something. :doubt:
    I downloaded the version from GSS Home page, so maybe I'm using the wrong one.
    Will download the latest one described in that thread and will let you know if that helped, after I've read it of course. :D

Thanks again.

Eric ;)

4. Disciple

I would think Jason updated the version found on the web site. The checksum for the version I have is MD5 - 5F1CEF64 5798AAC3 085E150A 7CD7BAB0, check yours against this. Other than that you may have to either email Jason or hope he sees this and responds.

5. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Thanks Disciple. ;)
    I've manually started the gssupdater and rebooted.
    It doesn't download any new updates. :)
    RegDefend: v2050
    AppDefend: v1000

MD5 - 5F1CEF64 5798AAC3 085E150A 7CD7BAB0

It's the same. o_O

Thanks again for your help.
    Great app Jason. :thumb:

6. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi. GSS fit it's version information in registry. If for a reason X, it cannot update that registry your stick with gss thinking you have an outdated version.

Here's the last update from my registry... maybee importing this reg key can help you

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ghost Security\GhostSecuritySuite\versions]
    "ghostsec.sys"=dword:00000456
    "gss.exe"=dword:00000456
    "rdstandard.gsr"=dword:000003eb
    "gssupdater.exe"=dword:000003ee

7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Thanks f3x for the additional information, as well as your reg key. :D

Don't think I'll need your key (saved it though :D), but it's appreciated nonetheless. :thumb:

Since I manually started the gssupdater, my GSS Suite doesn't ask me to update anymore.
    When pressing the 'Check Now' button it says it's up-to-date. :D

Finally. :p ;)

8. Disciple

Your welcome. It truly is a great app, and like many I can't wait to see what is coming our way with the next GSS beta.

Take care.

9. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Unfortunately mine still states the a new version is available immediately after updating, or after a reboot immediately after updating. I added the registry entries, but that didn't help. I have the Check for Updates set to manual to avoid the nagging.
    I'm running W2K-SP4 and have paid for both Appdefend and Regdefend. I realize that there aren't any updates because I watch this site, but it would be nice to have some workaround that brings me to a "You have the latest version installed" message.

Jim

10. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hi Jim,
    That's unfornate that it doesn't work for you. :doubt:
    Please remember that it's still a beta, so fixes can still be applied by Jason before its release.
    Hope it will be fixed of course, so people who download the app won't run into the same problems. ;)

11. tlu

tlu Guest

Jim, just an idea. Do have a global registry rule to protect the GSS key in HKLM? If so, you need an application rule for gssupdater.exe that allows "Set Value" for that key (in addition to allowing "Read Key" etc.). This was missing in my case and causing the same problems you're having.

12. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Thomas, no, I didn't have anything except the rules that came with GSS.
    I've added the Rule which you suggested and clicked on the Check Now button and am currently downloading the 'update' again. In addition, prior to yesterday, I'm sure that I didn't have gssupdater.exe, which was confusing me when so may others were referring to it. But, it's there now with a date of today, just a few minutes ago. o_Oo_Oo_O?

While that's going on, I checked Process Guard and realized that I didn't have gssupdater.exe in the list of apps, so I added it and gave it just about all rights.

OK, the first 'update' finished and I restarted GSS, clicked on the Check Now button and guess what? yup, new updates are available.

I'll let that finish and then reboot to see if that helps resolve this, and post the results here.

Well it finished and then I remembered someone suggesting that it's a good idea to run gssupdater.exe manually and when I did, I was asked by both PG and OA (OnlineArmor) if I'd allow it, which I did.

Up popped a box asking me to reboot, so I'm doing that now.

More, later,

Thanks for the helping hand,

Jim

Edit at 11:10 a.m. Well nothing seems to resolve the issue, GSS does not recognize that it's up-to-date. During the download, I noticed an update.cfg file which listed all the components and version numbers, but it's now "gone". Everything in the Updates folder was copied over to the parent GSS folder except that one. It may have been used to update the Registry and then was deleted.

This isn't a big issue for me, it's just that other apps, such as Trend's PC-cillan do tell me I'm up-to-date, or, like OA, just update what's necessary, such as the ?signatures? database.

Thanks again, I'll just keep watching here for new news.

Jim

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  13. tlu

tlu Guest

Jim, I'm sorry that your problem is still unsolved. The only possible solution I can think of is a completely new installation of GSS. I suggest you export your indiviual rules, deinstall GSS, manually delete the GSS registry key if anything is left there (and possibly start a registry cleaner like jv16), reinstall GSS and import your rules again. If that doesn't help either, well ... your last hope would be Jason, I guess.

14. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

No luck there either Thomas, I guess it's bad karma on my box, but thanks again. I'll just wait and watch and hope.

Jim

15. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Jim,
    For now it seems like the best course of action if you haven't done so already is to simply disable the update checks. On the gss Home tab, click the Change Settings button, then untick "Automatically check for updates"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.