Backing up a network drive /w TI 9 - newbie

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KLund1, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLund1

KLund1 Registered Member

Hi,
    Love this product! Been using it on my single home computer for a long time. Works great. Saved my butt a couple times from bad crashes.
    I now have a second computer. They are both networked through a inexepnsive wired router so they can share a internet connection (dsl)
    Each computer can see the other. I can move files easily between them.
    They both run Win XP Home SP2. On my "main" computer I have TI 9.0 build 2323 installed. From the "main" computer, how can I back up the other computer to the first?
    Looking around in this forum. I see terms like "Computer near me", "type in the path" I do not have that in my windows explorer, nor in TI 9. I can see the other computer from "my network places" from my desktops
    My install of TI 9.0 only sees the local drive in the computer ("main") it is installed on. How can I get it to see the other computer?
    I'm very new to this network, router stuff, so a simple explination would be helpful.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    KLund1

2. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

You buy another license of ATI9 and install it on the second computer for the following reasons:

1) It is not possible using ATI9 installed on one computer to backup another computer.

2) You need a license for each computer which is to be backed up or restored.

You can store an image of the computer on which the software is installed, onto another computer on the network and then retrieve if from there when you need to restore. You do not need a second license if that is all you are doing.:cool:

3. KLund1

KLund1 Registered Member

Hi,
    Thanks for such a fast reply. Wow, looks like i'll be heading down to the computer store again. This program is to good to be without. Im using the computers for a home business, and there is no WAY I'm going to lose data.
    Thanks again.
    KLund1

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello KLund1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

To expand Ozmaniac's explanation, I would also like to mention that only Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows have a capability of creating disk\partition images remotely. These Acronis True Image versions allow you to install a special program called Acronis Agent on a remote machine(s) and then perform the backup process remotely controlling it from one or several main machine(s) using Acronis Management Console. You can find more information on how to use these products in the respective User's Guides. Please visit Enterprise section of Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the corresponding product. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

Please also note that Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to create a disk\partition images of the local hard drives only, i.e. hard drives connected to the machine Acronis True Image 9.0 is running on (either from under Windows or from Bootable Rescue CD). If you want to continue using Acronis True Image 9.0 then I would recommend you to follow the Ozmaniac's advice and purchase a second license of Acronis True Image 9.0 to use it on your second computer.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Simply:

Create a boot Ti cd, if you already haven't.

Boot the computer you want to create an image of, with the boot cd, and save the tib files over the network to a shared folder by expanding the "computers near me box" and choosing your destination computer, drive, and folder.

Ti does not have to be installed on any computer.
    If you subsequently want to store the tib files elsewhere on the network, just use windows drag and drop to move or copy them to any shared folder or even burn to optical.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi there noonie,

Ahem!! No offence matey but remember this is the OFFICIAL Acronis Support Forum :).

If you're saying what I think you're saying then, simple it might be but legal it aint. The bootable rescue CD is governed by the same terms of use as the copy of main program used to create it. Therefore, as Ozmaniac said; 1 licence = 1 computer.

Regards

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

The licensing had already been pointed out twice in previous responses. In addition KLund1 had mentioned he has plans to go to a store and purchase another copy.

I am simply explaining how he can can use Ti to acomplish his needs, in addition to the previous responses, so he can make an educated decision on whether to buy additional single licenses, enterprise licenses, or move to different software altogether.

It is between KLund1, Acronis and God as to what he does with Ti. Personally, I'm not suggesting he does anything illegal, but I really don't care what he does.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Oops! That part of Klund1's Post #3 didn't register. My sincere apologies :oops:.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.