acronis scheduler2 service???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by savagcl, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savagcl

savagcl Registered Member

I dont use the acronis scheduler nor do i use the incremental changes (saving
    my disk from having another partition and saving disk space).

I only do full disk imaging whenever its determined by me that one is needed.

So the question is: Is it necessary to have this scheduler2 loading at system
    startup (and why is it needed?)?

Thanks,
    savagcl

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello savagcl,

In reality, the Acronis Scheduler Services use up very few system resources and, more importantly, schedul2.exe is required to carry out any image creation task from within Windows, whether the operation is scheduled or started manually. Check out this <previous Acronis Support reply> for a more detailed explanation of what all three True Image services do.

Regards

3. savagcl

Interesting post that.....

I have to wonder if he turned off the acronis startups, and then windows
    crashes and wont start again - would he be able to recover/restore an image
    if those services arent runningo_O

I'm going to assume that the restore (CD) would work because it happens
    before windows has control........

thanks,
    savagcl

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello savagcl,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that using Acronis True Image 9.0 you will be able to create a special bootable rescue media (CD or a pack of floppies). If your system fails you will just need to boot from the rescue media and restore the system.

When booted from the bootable media you are able to access any connected hard disks as well as a wide variety of IDE, SCSI, FireWire (IEEE-1394), USB (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) and PC card (PCMCIA) interfaces and devices, including CD-ROM, CD-R(RW), DVD, network, Iomega Zip and Jaz. So you are able to restore your system without any problems.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. savagcl

Hello Tatyana,

Thank you for that info.

I'm working now with Acronis Support because my recovery manager (CD)
    will not load the recovery program (different thread). So far the problem has
    been elevated to the expert level of support. Will get it fixed eventually.

savagcl

6. 666

666 Registered Member

It's not necessary at all to load any ATI processes at startup or to keep 'em running when ATI is asleep.

You can start and stop ATI from a batch file in such a way that the necessary services only run when needed, and stop when you exit the program.

Here's my batch file:

START /B C:\Progra~1\Common~1\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
    CALL "C:\Program Files\Acronis TrueImage\TrueImage.exe"
    NET STOP "Acronis Scheduler2 Service"
    pskill.exe schedhlp.exe
    EXIT

Simple, isn't it. This trick is the result of a discussion about this problem on this forum over a year ago. It started on https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42132&highlight=batch and continued on https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43266&highlight=batch .

You can download it together with a how-to guide here: http://www.uploading.com/?get=W59ZA8W0 .

The zip file contains the batch file, a readme text file, and pskill for those who run XP Home. You may need to change folder locations in the batch file to match your system setup.

I used this script back when I had ATI 8. I didn't try it on ATI 9, because I switched to the freeware app DriveImage XML on my home setup. If you need to rewrite the batch file to make it compatible with other versions of ATI, please share the results with us on this forum.

If there are any Acronis programmers reading this: it's very easy to plg some code into ATI that makes background processes autostart when needed, and to keep them quiet when there aren't any scheduled tasks.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.