XMON number of threads with HyperThreading

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by andrator, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrator

andrator Registered Member

According to the XMON manual the default number of threads is 2 times the number of processors plus 1. I'm using a 3 GHz Xeon with HyperThreading enabled on Windows 2003 SP1.

Do I need to apply this formula to the physical number of processors (2 x 1 + 1 = 3) or the number of HT processors (2 x 2 + 1 = 5)?

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Sorry, but what are you asking about?
    I'm lost.

3. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

I think he talks about Dual Core processors, so physically it's one processor but windows recognizes it as two separate CPU's (I've seen that before)... But I can't tell more since I don't use XMON.

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Actually, I think he is asking whether Hyperthreading counts as multiple CPUs or not. I am pretty sure that dual cores would, but Hyperthreading is another matter. However, since I do not use XMON, I do not know the answer, either. :doubt:

5. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I think you need to explain your problem/question a little better so we can understand what your talking about :)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

XMON can scan emails in multiple threads which results in higher number of emails scanned at a time. However, every thread requires a lot of resources, hence there are 3 threads preset. This number can be computed for various hardware configurations using the aforementioned formula. I too doubt that HyperThreading could count as another CPU. Even if you had a dual-core CPU, it wouldn't mean that the overall efficiency would be twice as higher as with a sigle-core CPU.

7. andrator

andrator Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

My question was about a single Xeon 3 GHz CPU. The server supports HyperThreading and in Windows 2003 SP1 there are two CPU's. HyperThreading (as the words says) supports multiple threads. Theoratically the XMON threads could be balanced between both HyperThreaded CPU's.

I'll stick with Marcos reply and leave the XMON setting to 3 threads (2x1=1).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.